About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=28eb28557150bbe3cf7f7e25705ae80cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Anyone ever repaint an eFX X-wing helmet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strongbow ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever repaint an eFX X-wing helmet? Reply with quote

I bought an eFX helmet second hand. The orginal owner cut and repositioned the chin strap (the stock position is too far forward), and he kind of mistreated... lots of scraps and scuffs. While it looks good for display, its collector value is pretty much scrubbed (too bad too, it have a sub 100 serial number). I am considering a repaint. Has anyone repainted one of these? Does it need a sanding?

I do like the heft of the helmet. I think it'll make an impressive custom paint piece once done.
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind posting pictures of how that helmet was modified? I'm curious. I've got a spare eFX helmet that I got relatively cheap that I want to strip down and modify and probably repaint at some point. I also want to document the tear down as well as make comparisons to the various helmets available. But anything to make it more accurate in the end is extremely helpful.

Mine's a factory regect due to a bad paint application so I HAVE to sand it if I want to repaint it due to its rough texture. Stock it looks fine but its really bumpy if you feel it.

With a good one, you might not need to sand it, but I would think its a good idea. You might want to also consider a tear down and reinforcing the inside, at least at the edges, especially the visor area, the efx helmets are VERY prone to cracking, especially in the brim area by the visors. My good eFX is cracked (I have two) and I see a lot of them on ebay from time to time as well so its a recurring problem with them.
Strongbow ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ripped it apart yet. But when I do, I'll tak epics. The chin strap was just cut and resewn to the lining right in front of the ears. It holds the hat well.

I think I will sand it since there are some scrapes on it. It's a nice helmet, overall, and I think it'll look great with a new paint job. Just trying to decide between doing this one in the Porkins scheme, or my custom design.
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with porkins! I always say go with movie versions.
Strongbow ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to Porkins it. I'll custom a kit helmet.

Took some effort to sand and base coat it, but I go it good to go. I have the brow plate all taped up and ready to airbrush. Man... That tape job took hours! Thank goodness for 3M vinyl masking tape. Should have some pics next week.
Strongbow ()

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, making progress.... Looking at the reference pics posted by Jedi XXL of the Porkins helmet, the helmet has two of the flying meatballs of either side of the mohawk. Am I crazy, or does the rearmost one look like it has a RED meatball? I'm thinking maybe they added one of the red circle decals to the meatball on that one. Trying decide how to do this....
Strongbow ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repaint complete... posted in "Show your helmet" thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: