Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fe247989bb778203d7c4aac2124f4fe5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ultimate RFT Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel Doughboy (Kevin Skiera)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Ultimate RFT Build Reply with quote

Hey gang!

I made first my RFT back when I was 16. I am now 20; and having been a TK for the last two and a half years, it's time to update my RFT. It NEEDS to be done by February 16th.

I had a TK560 lid, but I ended up selling that to fellow Nar Shadaa member Crix Thomas. I am going to get a Mon Cal ABS bucket this time with black acrylic visor. Just need to hear back from him (sent message today for others wondering if he still pulling these as well.)

I had a Hasbro mod DH-17. It was my first prop attempt EVER and well...now making Daft Punk helmets, LED rigs, full leather suits...the time has come a for a well needed scratch build! I am doing my research to get this right. Starting with Sterling parts, which I am just going to get through Doopydoos. The only difference between my planned PVC/resin/metal build and a real one from the films will be weight. I have looked at Luke Warmwater's build, some others on the Imperial Gunnery board, and RPF. Accurate blue prints have been found, now it will just be time to assemble parts needed.

The clothes I have will work JUST fine. Thankfully since then I have lost weight (thanks Army) and they are exactly what is needed. US Navy shirt, modded with bib, vest modded correctly, and the correct BDU trousers. What I do NEED to do is hem off the cuff, and wash it a few times to get that "stone blue" washed out color we have seen in the movies.

Boots are East German jack boots from the 70's.

While the helmet will be straightforward, and the blaster be the only actual difficult part of the costume, what I am in need of is a correct belt. Back when I was 16 I commissioned some fellow to make me a rebel belt and he had only worked with Imperial belts/holsters before.100 bucks and six whopping months later I had a painted leather belt, that I was thoroughly dissatisfied with. NOT the look I am going, even if we can barely see the damn things in the movies. That said, I need a belt and if anyone makes them, I need one!

Belt boxes, who makes the best? Maybe I be better off asking the 501st half since they are used for officers as well. I need quality ones, and don't mind painting them.

Any help is appreciated. Right now, I need a belt, holster, and belt boxes. If anyone knows what exact sterling parts are used on a DH-17 please let me know!

TK-9336 "The Daft Trooper"
TK-9336, ANH EIB Stunt #133
Midwest Garrison, 501st Legion
Kevin "Doughboy" Skiera

RFT Areiks Renegade 13
Nar Shaddaa Base
Renegade Squad

Last edited by Rebel Doughboy (Kevin Skiera) on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember when you were building your RFT back then. Glad to see you bringing it back.

Cal also makes belt boxes. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee he will be able to get you a helmet and belt boxes by April. He sometimes has a bit of a backlog. I'm not sure about other suppliers anymore for the helmets.

cyodarun here in Colorado does excellent leather work. She can do the holster and belt.

I'm glad you're using the Luke Warmwater plans... heh, I worked on that many, many moons ago. I think he still has pics up that I took on my hunt for parts. I never did finish that build. Sad The fins were the biggest hangup for me. I hope you're able to do it right.

If you (or anyone else) ever needs a Nerf DH-17, I have a couple of extras still in the box, and a DH resin one.

Good luck and I can't wait to see it completed.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Bill!

Hopefully I can a hold of Cal in time. I goofed in my post, my deadline is February. We'll see!

I will PM cyodarun right now.

Well Warmwater is a starting point. I have full blue prints I found through a little sifting on the web. Thinking of using Sterling bits, on a PVC tube base, and even a milled aluminum front end. Thanks for the nod!

I might end up using my current Hasbro DH-17 and use it for parts, that being the worst case scenario.

I think what really will make this pop are two things-
1. Trigger
2. Scope with correct cover, and red bit (red paper clip)
3. The weathering. Rub'n'buff should do the trick, if painted.
Kevin "Doughboy" Skiera

RFT Areiks Renegade 13
Nar Shaddaa Base
Renegade Squad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have seen for the red tip is to paint a pop rivet red and secure it in place. You will have to cut it down, but it could work.

I haven't used rub n buff before, but I've always used a silver paint marker to mar up the highlights. As a photographer, I tend to like more highlighting (silver scuff marks) on the outer edges, and all of the typical high use areas. It shows up much better than a brand new, all black blaster.

Besides, as Rebels, I always believed in the concept that you are given a blaster that has been used a lot... and you're probably the 5th person to be issued that blaster.

You probably saw that with weapons issued from the armory, especially boot camp ones. Weapons that actually get used a lot will show signs of wear.

Good luck on the timetable. It's been a while since I was at Cal' shop, I don't know what his backlog is like right now.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it!

The trick I got with weathering was using black ink, and just wiping it on, and off just after so the ink gets in the recesses. At FT. Benning those things were a mess, hah. Infact the springs in my M4 had been used up and totally messed up my shooting at the range.

I also got a TON of information from Darth Lars (Johan Hanson) on the DH-17, so courtesy of him-

"I believe that all DH-17s we see in ANH (and ESB) were resin-casts. Some details from the Sterling parts were filled in (probably with clay) before they were cast.

The ANH blasters had several greeblies that were not cast, but added later. Therefore, there are some differences between blasters. The scopes, scope rings and scope rails on the ANH blasters were real.

A few nth-generation casts of the ANH blasters exist in collectors' possession, but they do not have any of the greeblies that were not in the cast. Prop-collector Jesper Isberg has a screen-used blaster, but he has a resin scope on it that he added himself, apparently, so who knows what else was added later ...

The Sterling parts are:
- Grip and trigger assembly. The ANH version was weird in that the trigger was removed and the trigger guard thickened a whole lot, probably so that it would not break so easily. I think that there are at least two trigger guards that are slightly different. I didn't thicken the trigger guard on my blaster only because I wanted to keep a functioning trigger.
The ANH version had a selector switch in the rearmost position.
At least one blaster had an Imperial Disc right in front of the selector switch.

- End cap. The ANH version had the ring for the sling, but the ESB version did not.

- End cap lock (box under receiver before end cap)
- Rear sight.
- Forward sight. The sides were filled in.

I believe that it is still unknown where the front of the barrel comes from. It has not been found on any gun in the real world. (that I know of)
There is no cocking lever, ejector guard, vent guard, magazine on the blaster, nor is there rail on bolt inside the ejector port.
Note that the port on the left is trapezoidal like the profile of the Sterling's mag well and the ejector port on the right side is squared off in the front.

The distance and alignments between the parts on the DH-17 are different than on a E-11. There is a blueprint by Wizardofflight out there, based on the (somewhat inaccurate, and over-idealized) blaster replica by Master Replicas, but it has accurate distances between parts.

The scope mounts are on a "weaver"-type scope rail. I do not know the model of scope rings, but I think that there are several people on this board [RPF] that know."
Kevin "Doughboy" Skiera

RFT Areiks Renegade 13
Nar Shaddaa Base
Renegade Squad
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Kevin! If you want to get a hold of MonCal you need to PM or email him. He rarely responds to the posts on the boards. But I'll tell you, you're really unlikely to get anything from him that quickly.

Studio creations make a good helmet too.
Jedi_Boyer (Michel Boyer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try purpledagger for the belt, belt boxes and holster. I am pretty sure he had them at one point.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will run with cyodarun for the belt/holster.

My buddy Jon Weger who is currently making a Chewie here in the MWG is making alum belt boxes. That is where I am getting mine. ]

If Mon Cal can send a lid by my deadline, great...otherwise I will be rolling with a Studio Creations lid.
Kevin "Doughboy" Skiera

RFT Areiks Renegade 13
Nar Shaddaa Base
Renegade Squad
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if the rft boxes had the same rivets like Chewie's boxes? As far as I can tell the Imperial Officer boxes did. Just trying to get the accuracy nailed down.

Thanks all!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are good looking boxes! I could use a couple of those for my Imperial Navy Trooper.

Could you shoot me a PM with how to get them?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon is da man!

Also, I am crossing my fingers because Mon Cal will do a rush order and get me (to the best of my knowledge) the most accurate RFT helmet out there. Pretty excited and it be a pleasant turnaround from hearing he is late on stuff.

I'll keep you guys updated!
Kevin "Doughboy" Skiera

RFT Areiks Renegade 13
Nar Shaddaa Base
Renegade Squad
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I got two words Doughboy...

bout time

Razz

Awaiting your shirt in the mail so that I can remove the cuffs....will have time this weekend so I hope it arrives today or tomorrow...

And...the Renegades await your arrival...

Very Happy

I have belt boxes but I used some electrical box thingies that are no longer available...
if you look hard...you can see one of them here in this photo

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried contacting SC about their RFT helmet?

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phyllis I am sending the shirt today!

I tried contacting Jeff but he wouldn't have been able to meet my deadline because they had just ordered plastic and it wouldn't arrive in time sadly. I am really crossing my finge. Cal has got this done in time.
Kevin "Doughboy" Skiera

RFT Areiks Renegade 13
Nar Shaddaa Base
Renegade Squad
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mon Cal came through!

The bucket will here Monday, with pics!
Kevin "Doughboy" Skiera

RFT Areiks Renegade 13
Nar Shaddaa Base
Renegade Squad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: