Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ebb5f992fb9c88f09b5d3ac6e21de097Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Senator Mon Mothma Ep 3 Deleted scene fabric etching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Royalty & Senatorial Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Senator Mon Mothma Ep 3 Deleted scene fabric etching. Reply with quote

When I decided to do this dress I had to figure out how to get the texture of the original fabric which was a felted wool according to 'Dressing the Galaxy"

There is a product called 'Fiber Etch' available from Dharma Trading. They offered a tutorial but I had to modify it for larger quantities of fabric.

Fabric I used: wool blend of 65% rayon and 35% wool. I choose this blend because the etching compound breaks down plant fibers which include the rayon but not the wool.
I used a fitted dress pattern McCalls 3129 but any fitted dress would be fine. I made it with more flair and modified the lower half of the sleeve for a more bell shape.

To make the rings for the pattern I used power point to make different sizes of pineapple rings then printed out many pages of them on freezer paper which I had to cut to 8.5x11 to fit into the printer. Then cut out the rings. You need a lot of them! Using freezer paper allows you to iron the rings shiny side down and they adhere to the pieces of the dress.
After they are ironed on you are ready to apply the etching cream. I placed each dress piece on plastic so that the cream would not soak into some thing below but penetrate the fabric better.

I put the etching cream in the plastic bottle you see in the image. The tip is cut off to allow control of the cream. You can also apply the cream with a paint brush but I found that pressing the tip of the bottle into the fibers gave me better etching. You need to experiment with spare fabric pieces before doing the real deal so you can perfect the technique. That is what I did and used several pieces to get it where I was comfortable with type and amount of application.
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did no more than two pieces of the dress at a time.
After applying the etching compound around and in the center of the rings allow it to air dry for a few hours. I then put it into the dryer on low temp to dry until it was crusty. Remove the paper rings before putting it into the dryer!
Next step is to iron it with a warm iron/wool setting until the crusty gel becomes brown as seen in photo.

Next step is to wash the piece in cold water on GENTLE cycle. This removes the digested fabric and the compound. Then hang each piece to dry.

Do all these steps with your trial pieces first so you know how your process needs modifying.
this is a strip of my 'trial' piece that worked satisfactorily. It was the third or fourth trial.

jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waist etching compound near the edges because that will be in the seams anyway. Allow at least an inch around the edges. After all the pieces are dried then It is ready to assemble.

For the Tabbard I used the same fabric but made the backing of it a matching cotton to reduce the weight and stiffness. You could also use pellon to stiffen it.

I used lacey ribbon on the tabbard and glued them on with fabric glue. The lace decoration is on both front and back. I was fortunate to find the round ivory button in my grandmothers old button tin. I used velcro for the side of the collar that is opened, right side. The velcro is behind the buttons and down the shoulder seam 3/4 of the shoulder. That allows my head to fit in and makes it easier to get it off and on.

The jewelry if made of sculpy as I used for my Ep 6 Mon Mothma.
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very, very nice tutorial! Thanks so much for posting. Next step: Get the money to actually do this Razz

Mynocks deliver Babies
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Thank you for posting Very Happy
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Royalty & Senatorial Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: