About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d8a5d5cb487542a85e916dedbfe10284Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-wing Pilot References (Image Heavy)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: B-wing Pilot References (Image Heavy) Reply with quote

WARNING: Lots of images below!

Greetings,

I thought this might be helpful for people who are looking to put together a B-wing pilot outfit, or even those who already have a B-wing pilot and are looking to make some improvements. This will be a collection of references... I'll put up whatever I can find. Some pictures I found, some other people have posted... I'm just putting them all up together here.

Please feel free to post your own references as well if you find any that aren't on the list. I'll be updating this thread every so often, and I'll even add the references other people post here to the list.

I will also post some examples of fan-made B-wing pilot props... Or at least I'll post mine until I get permission from others to post their props. I thought that also might be helpful to see what other people have used to make their outfits!

Click the images to see a larger version.

Bwing

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:18 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon References

Movie References
Pre-Production Ten Numb
(Note that the white flightsuit was changed to red in the movie. The white is not considered accurate except, possibly, for Ten Numb who is seen wearing the white flightsuit in comic books as well.)

Deleted Scene
Note: This picture comes from a deleted scene from the Return of the Jedi Blu-ray release. The character is a B-wing pilot, as is seen by the helmet, flak vest and chestbox, but is incorrectly shown wearing a green flightsuit.)

Red Flightsuit
(Note: I haven't yet figured out whether or not all of the B-wing flightsuits have a collar closure or just the Nien Nunb suit. I also haven't been able to figure out if they have a pocket of some kind on the left arm near the elbow... It seems to change from reference to reference and I haven't found a picture clear enough to make it out.)

Chestbox
(Note: There seem to be three different styles of chestboxes, though only two are seen multiple times-- the third style is seen only once, and just briefly. One style, the "Ten Numb" or "Nien Nunb" style is one that has a black circle on the bottom left of the chestbox-- the wearer's left-- and a red button above it, and this style is also worn in Return of the Jedi by Keyan Farlander. The second style does not have the black cut circle, but instead has a black greeblie box on the bottom left and on the bottom right, with an orange rectangular button and a red rectangular button in just above the left box greeblie. The third style combines the two, and has a black cut hole on the left side with a black box greeblie on the right, but keeps the orange and yellow buttons.)

Helmet
(Note: There are at least three different styles of B-wing pilot helmets, each with a different greeblie/visor combination. There are also two visors: an amber-colored face shield with silver braces on either side, and a yellow-geen/clear gradient face shield with bracers on the side and on the top. Some helmets don't have a face shield, but most that I've seen references of do. They also have a white chin strap. There are also three different colors for cloth/leather edge lining: black, brown and red-brown. It's probably safe to assume that greeblies, lining color and face shields/no face shield can be mixed-and-matched as they seem to have been in the screen-used helmets.)

Belt Box
(Note: The picture below is actually have a "Rebel Fleet Controller" but they seem to use the same "belt box" as B-wing pilots, just without the cord hanging down. It's the best picture of this piece that I've been able to find so I'm posting it anyway.)

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:59 am; edited 20 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other References

Chestbox

Helmet

Non-Canon References
Pre-production Helmet/Chestbox
(Note: The helmet and chestbox below were sold at an auction as a screen-used prop, however because of the many differences from on-screen references, such as the very different greeblies, the thin top edge of the helmet, and the lack of strap slots and hose socket on the chestbox as well as its unusual paint scheme, I have to consider these inaccurate and non-canon, so I wouldn't base and greeblie and painting off of these. Also, supposedly there's a note written on the inside of the helmet that says "too thin" which also leads to me believe that these are nothing but test props that were never used in the movie or any other source.)

Comic Book

Artwork

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan References

Blue Banshee Leader
Chestbox

Helmet

Flak Vest
(Note: This is "version 2.5" of the flak vest... It's a little big and needs to be brought in a little.)

Flak Vest Greeblies

Gaiters

Belt Box
(Note: Cord has been removed.)

AN-H-15 Cap
(Note: The color of this cap was mimicking the color of Nien Nunb's cap, but most human B-wing pilots in Return of the Jedi had tan caps matching the WWII AN-H-15.)

Notes

Other/Miscellaneous

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:04 am; edited 6 times in total
beasley_d ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Bwing Pilot Sketches Reply with quote

I thought you B-Wing Pilots would enjoy these production sketches.

* Credit for the photos goes to Mark Cotta Vas and Shinji Hata
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile

Man, look at that beauty of a starship... How can anyone not want to be a B-wing pilot?

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
RebelJedi77 (Jason Stoxen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings!

I was looking into starting a B-Wing pilot myself and have been searching around for any kind of reference material and happened to come across a listing for an ILM production B-Wing helmet that sold in dec 2012, which I really wish I could have bought!

Anyway, in hte listing, there are some really detailed shots from all angles (even the back!) that I was hoping could help any helmet builders here. I am not sure I would even be remotely able to try putting one of these together, but I may just have to try someday.

I sincerely hope that at least one person here will find this useful!

http://www.proparchives.com/science-fiction/science-fiction-1980s/star-wars-return-of-the-jedi/ilm-production-made-rebel-alliance-b-wing-helmet-from-star-wars-episode-vi-return-of-the-jedi
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to update this thread... I keep forgetting. I've been meaning to add the pictures of the auction helmet, so thanks for the reminder, and the link.

Though I wouldn't recommend anyone making their B-wing pilot helmet look like the one from the auction. Most likely it's a test piece, but it was never used in the movie to my knowledge. The finished helmets (one or two of them appeared in RotJ being held by pilots) looked a fair bit different, with different greeblies, a back edge that was widened (which I'm assuming the "too thin" text in the auction helmet refers to), the wedge on the back is smaller and a different color in the movie helmets, the chin strap is different and they don't have the chin cup.

And though I can't say for certain, I'm only going by the pre-production pictures I've seen, the movie helmets also didn't have the Y-wing helmet style connector on the side. Instead, they had more of a small computer connector attached via a length of black electric cord.

Also, the "vents" in the movie versions are painted in, unlike the auction one where they're not painted black. Smile

On another note, I will be doing a limited run of B-wing pilot helmets sometime this Summer. The helmet is from the movie-used mold, so it's screen accurate, and I'll be fixing the edge on the back by widening it... if all goes according to plan.
This was delayed a little bit after I cut my thigh open and had to get it stitched up. Haven't been able to work on the mold because I can't stand up long enough to do it without the cut really starting to hurt... >>;;
I'll start working on the mold once my stitches are out.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
RebelJedi77 (Jason Stoxen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
On another note, I will be doing a limited run of B-wing pilot helmets sometime this Summer. The helmet is from the movie-used mold, so it's screen accurate, and I'll be fixing the edge on the back by widening it... if all goes according to plan.
This was delayed a little bit after I cut my thigh open and had to get it stitched up. Haven't been able to work on the mold because I can't stand up long enough to do it without the cut really starting to hurt... >>;;
I'll start working on the mold once my stitches are out.

Sorry to hear about your injury, Alex, and wish you a speedy, problem-free recovery.

Whenever you are able to get to the run of helmets, did you have an estimated window of availability and price you will be asking for them? I just don't want to miss out on one, and it would be helpful to have a ballpark estimate on cost/time in order to plan my finances accordingly.

Thanks in advance, and also for all of the information you have been providing for this costume regularly!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raa-nek Tollen wrote:

Sorry to hear about your injury, Alex, and wish you a speedy, problem-free recovery.

Whenever you are able to get to the run of helmets, did you have an estimated window of availability and price you will be asking for them? I just don't want to miss out on one, and it would be helpful to have a ballpark estimate on cost/time in order to plan my finances accordingly.

Thanks in advance, and also for all of the information you have been providing for this costume regularly!

Thanks. I can't wait to get these dang stitches out and not have to wear this darn bandage anymore. It hurts after a while. x.x
I get the stitches out on Monday... hopefully.

I don't really have an ETA on the helmets yet. I've never done anything like this before so I'm not exactly sure how long it's going to take me. I'm definitely going to try to get them going before college starts back up (which I think is late September/early October), so hopefully within a couple months.
The price is something I'm also not sure of yet. I'm thinking around $200 but that may go up or down depending on the cost of materials and how long it takes me to put them together. I'll be making them pretty much by hand, by pouring resin into a mold, so I'm not exactly sure how long it will take me to do that. I wont know until I actually make a couple of them.

The helmets will come with a set of greeblies and probably a set of "vent" decals. I have greeblies for both styles of helmets, so the buyer can select which they want. I need to remake a couple of the greeblies still...

As for the quantity... I thought that, at least at first, I might do two runs of five helmets each, just so I don't get overwhelmed and people aren't waiting around forever. Five helmets in one run, and once those are finished, open up another run of five more. Or something like that. If there's enough demand, if everything goes well, I could probably do more.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of these links are dead

Rghur DURgk'Hur: Warrior, Nomad, Hunter
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of these links are dead

Rghur DURgk'Hur: Warrior, Nomad, Hunter
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Msbillen gallery is gone for some reason. I saved the pictures that were on it so I can reupload them to a host. But I'm not sure why the Ganktusuou_2006 links aren't working, that's my gallery, and my gallery is still active... Not sure what's with that.

I've been meaning to go back and reorganize the post. Until then, here's this...
http://s55.photobucket.com/user/Gankutsuou_2006/library/Costume%20References/Star%20Wars/Pilots?sort=3&page=1

http://s55.photobucket.com/user/Gankutsuou_2006/library/Costume%20References/Star%20Wars/Pilots/B-wing%20Pilot

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found another reference. I was watching the original theatrical Return of the Jedi trailer on StarWars.com and happened to see this...

It's not a new picture but it's larger and clearer. I brightened it up (and blew out the color) so it's easier to see some of the details. The picture below isn't good for color reference but some of the details can be seen a little better.

A couple things to note: there are indeed metal slides on the ejection harness, and there's another confirmation on them wearing the "belt box".
There is also more variation in the chestboxes than I thought. Take a look at Palso Thern's chestbox (the blonde pilot on the right). He has the chestbox style that usually has the two black boxes and the orange and red rectangular buttons, but instead of one of the black boxes he has the black cut circle like on Nien Numb and Keyan Farlander's chestbox. I wonder how many chestbox variations there were?

The images are larger, just click on 'em.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally updated the thread... Whew... Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: