About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b6609f063e665a1fa225bcbdf88db30dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ewok Village Leia build thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And an update! I finally got started on the mock up of the bodice. It is nowhere near done, but it is a good start.

So I started out with getting a pattern thrown at me and therefore copied it: (Okay, to be honest I was going to freehand it before the pattern was thrown at me)

I knew the pattern needed resizing, so I pinned it all together and put it on to get an idea of how much would need to go:

Then I started the resizing process:

I made some errors and took too much off the sides, so had to redo them, but I ended up with this by the time I had to stop and pack up:

I messed up the sleeve gaps during my resizing, so they will need some looking at once I'm sure the seams are where they should be:

And this is where I am now. I think I have the princess seams where they should be (maybe the front seams will need to be moved a centimeter further in), so next up is making sure the side seams are as they should be, drawing in the v-neck, make the sleeve gaps right, and draw the bottom seamline in.
After all that I start looking at the skirt part. That should be fun. Razz

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you're constructing this with no back opening? (That's how I did mine.) My suggestion would be add sleeves to your mock-up and then make sure you can pull the whole thing off over your head. I'd hate for you to make it with your final fabric and then not be able to get it off!

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Mieal; I'm planning on adding a hidden zipper in the side, so I can get in and out of it. Smile But as I'm pretty sure the seams in the back mirror the ones in front, I'm not going to add an extra seam down the middle.

I haven't got any further with the bodice (yes, I'm lazy) except to get cat hairs off it, but a friend told me about a local wig (and other stuff) shop I never knew existed, and lo and behold, I found kanekalon hair that matched! Mr. Green

Color comparison: (note that my ends are both lighter and redder than the rest of my hair. Pay no attention to that).

Yesterday I decided I might as well get it braided right away:

The bushy 'tail':

It was trimmed and thinned to be less bushy and so both ends are of the same lenght. I might thin them more.

And trying it on with my natural hair:

Once I get the braid wrapped I don't think anyone is really going to notice the slight difference in color. Smile And yes, I know it should technically be two braids, but it's just easier to do it this way when you're not using your own hair for the braid(s).

I bought color 12, but if you have a distinctive red tone to your brown hair then 14 might be a better choice. 12 fits in with my medium brown hair, while the 27 I had first bought was too light. Anyone looking for a pack of dark blonde/light brown hair? Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Skirt for the dress Reply with quote

This is a great thread! I am also working on this costume. Everything is finished, except for the skirt. Since the standards say "multi-paneled" skirt, I decided to do an under skirt, and an over skirt, and of course a skirt in the middle. I don't know exactly where to make the cuts for the skirt slits..any tips? Thank you!
UCGR Detachment CO
Legion Costume Judge
501st Legion member DZ-11177
https://www.facebook.com/liz.welsh.963

Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap alternative to a wig hackle would be a wire dog brush. It needs to have the bent wires, but these can usually be found in the pet departments of stores like Target and Walmart (though I hate to send anyone there). Get two of them for less than $10-$15 and you have a simulated hackle!

Not a recommended shortcut for Wookies though.
Maumi (Dena Maumi Curtis)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info for this costume. I plan on it being my next Leia costume.
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words and keep the sharing of tips going! Very Happy

I'm sorry I haven't updated this in ages, even though I have made progress on the costume. The truth is that DRL got to me. I suddenly had to move (in stages), because I got employed in the other end of my country (yeah! for work), but it meant reprioritizing pretty much everything and putting this on the backburner for a while. (Boo, for not enough time).
And so, only little have been done on this since my last update. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to update now as I have to sleep soon if I want to be just half awake at work tomorrow, but I really hope I can get the time for it soon! I have to much to show you!

So stay turned, and I promise an update is coming!

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleh, I really meant to write that update in 2013, but lo and behold, we are now in the year 2014. Razz

Anyway, a progress update that should have been made a half year ago comes now.

I continued my work with getting the seamlines 'just right' back in April, when we had a costume weekend. (Meaning I could get help with the back):

Here I also started fixing the sleeve gaps:

My new front piece with sewing lines in blue marker pen:

The final lines where drawn on, while I was wearing the mock-up. On the front I used a mirror to make them myself, while I got Dust to drawn them in/check them on the back.

New front piece mock-up ready to be cut:

First sleeve mock-up, which turned out almost perfect:

I then sewed the mock-up together for a proper fitting. First lots of needles to hold everything in place...

...then trying it on:

Success! Very Happy

The second sleeve was made just because it does change the pull slightly and therefore how it sit. I know the neck opening is skewed, but pay no attention to that. It was very much such a freehanded approximation.

New mock-up fabric for the skirt! I ran out of the other type. And here I tried to draw in the length and shape I thought the skirt pieces should have and then taking pictures to check before cutting, but as you can see, it was nearly impossible to see those light blue lines.

I did have fun with the giant skirt though, and got tempted to make a dress like this for myself. Razz

In the end I decided to just cut and then take it from there.

The first trail pieces:

This mock-up fabric wanted to unravel like crazy so it had to be zig-zagged right away after cutting it. After this began the long process of adjusting it. This was what I did during July before Celebration Europe.

My first mock-up pinned together:

I was not entirely satisfied with this after looking at how this looked compared to the original. So changes were made.
New angle to the inner leftside front piece:

The inner skirt without the outer skirt to cover it up:

And with the also corrected outer skirt on top:

I know there are extra zig-zag lines, which may be confusing, but these show how I changed my first mock-up pieces to what I have now.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is where I left off this summer. As said earlier I got a job and moved to the other end of the country, so it has been a hectic year for me. And I also did two other costume projects this autumn, so Leia has been pushed into 2014. I look forward to get on with this, and I'll try to remember to get that pic of my hide. I bought swine velvet (that would be the direct translation from the Danish 'svine velour') that I think is just perfect for this dress. Leia Buns

SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love seeing build threads with detail. It's very educational!

Thanks Very Happy

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an extremely helpful tutorial! What a beautiful dress, I cant wait to see more progress, you've done a lovely job thus far!

Amidala Invasion Gown Guide: http://queenamidalasabe.blogspot.com/
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a great job on the skirt pattern Smile

I'm thinking about re-doing my ewok dress. I like my bodice but now that I know much more about this costume, I'm not pleased with my skirt anymore.

This is a great build thread for anyone making this costume, we really need more awesome tutorials like this Leia Buns
UCGR Detachment CO
Legion Costume Judge
501st Legion member DZ-11177
https://www.facebook.com/liz.welsh.963

RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing such great photos and excellent progress!
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your comments. They mean a lot to me. Very Happy I do try to turn my wips into tutorials at the same time, as I think it's the best kind of help you can give someone else making that same costume or someone who is considering making it. Even when it includes the mistakes.

And the promised pics of the hide and sleeve fabric together comes now.

Artificial lighting from a yellow-white lightbulb with direct exposure:

Daylight, semi cloudy day:

And with the pure white of the bag to highlight the difference in shade to the ivory of the sleeve fabric:

I absolutely love my hide and can't wait to begin working with it. I'll probably hate it then, but right now I love the way it looks. Wink

RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:

I absolutely love my hide and can't wait to begin working with it. I'll probably hate it then, but right now I love the way it looks. Wink

I know exactly what you mean. Making a costume is like a roller coaster ride of love it, hate it, love it, hate it..but in the end REALLY love it.

I hope you can continue to post your progress in this thread. I think it would be great if we could use it under our tutorial section in the future. Great work.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I will continue to post my progress here; otherwise I wouldn't make a thread. Wink

And feel free to link any and all costume threads I make to the tutorial section if you think they have information others can use. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: