About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bc7398d1c450c2a7a2b82777fadffa83Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Worbla?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HanSagan (Peter Haynes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Worbla? Reply with quote

I may be a little late to the game, but has anyone heard of / had any experience in working with this stuff?

http://www.worbla.com/

It sounds pretty amazing Smile

www.angels2200.com

Anaria Zar-Rel (Kristy Glasgow)
Naboo Outpost XO
Naboo Outpost XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of it mainly through Kamui, who is known for her incredible World of Warcraft costumes. It is similar to Wonderflex (which I have in hand), which allows you to heat shape armour etc, but Worbla doesn't have the inner fabric layer than Wonderflex does (both pros and cons to it). You can heat it with hot water/heat gun etc, so it doesn't require a complicated process (like vac-forming).

Kamui has a bit of information in the start of her FAQ on her experience with the two materials. As I understand it, Worbla was mainly available in Europe until more recently, I am definitely keen to get my hands on some myself Smile
Naboo Outpost XO
Naboo Outpost XO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosplayer Yaya Han is now a distributer for Worbla in the US (it is made in Germany), and has some info on her Facebook page -
Quote:

Technical specs: "Use hot air, water or steam (min 200°F) to bring this plastic to the shape you want to (heatgun recommended). The material can be heat-formed even after repeated cooling, it is safe to use and solvent-free. Unlike other heat-formable plastics, Worbla leftovers can be molded and shaped like clay, so there is almost no waste. Worbla hardens very fast and can be sanded. The extra glue coating on the shiny side makes it very easy to attach several layers by heating up the pieces, as well as attaching additional components. Start with a thin sheet then build up, or create sturdy pieces with multiple layers from the start.

Almost anything is possible with this material for creativ people.

Detailed surfaces & masks, armor and ornaments, replicas of blades or gems, even costume jewellery, figurines as well as all kind of decorations are possible with Worbla.

You can paint Worbla's Finest Art with a variety of effect spray-paints and acrylics - spray, brush or airbrush on. Either use a plastic prime then paint directly on the surface, or it is recommended to seal surface first with gesso (or another compatible sealant), then plastic primer or another type or base coat, then paint."

(While it is comparable to Wonderflex, Worbla does not have the "fiber grid" that runs through Wonderflex, making it easier to shape. The edges are also smoother than Wonderflex.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to pop this here, but Worbla is a fantastic material, and I fell in love with it the second I tried it out. If you have the chance, buy some!
They sell it in the UK too, at Coscraft.uk.

Just make sure that you use a base like craftfoam, to get it sturdy enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: