About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards
 

Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aa8714ca20ed40963e4386bd6c73aed5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Chewie Sculpt & Fiberglass Mold
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 248

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: My Chewie Sculpt & Fiberglass Mold Reply with quote

Well the day after Christmas I took the plunge and started my Chewie sculpt with my 10 pounds of Monster Maker clay, and 12 days later this is what I've come up with. However a word of caution: I'm pretty neurotic when it comes to details, borderline O.C.D. The nose alone I redid at least 5 times, the mouth about 3. I of course want honest opinions and suggestions before I make a mold, but keep in mind I have a good chance of making it worse Sad

Here is my head cast. When my friends and family made my cast, they stopped at my "George Lucas Like" double chin so I had to fabricate a neck out of foam and bondo:


Here's the front. Like I said no matter how hard I tried, whenever I made the nose bigger, it got WAY too long on the side. Also the taller I made it, the less it looked like the side picture. The mouth seems a bit low, but I know Chewie has a mustache and right now there is just about a 3/4" space between nose and lips for his mustache (in this pic Chewie has his mouth open, that's why mine appears wider because it is closed). Last is this chin too "king tut like?" I'd like to shorten it, because in real life I have no neck, but I'm afraid it will be too short. Also should I bring the jaw line down on the sides?:

^^^Edited to reflect the ANH/ESB Chewie and not the ROTS version. Original comparison here.


Here's the side. It seems about right. My problem is maybe the chin is too far down and out, vs being more inward. Also if you look at my life cast, my double chin is a good two inches above the Chewie chin, not sure if that will cause problems. Last, that "void" between the wookiee jaw and the chin, should that be filled in?



Here's a view from the top showing that I curved the muzzle around:


I'm praying this will pass the experienced wookiee builders test. If not I'll gladly make some changes, just hoping I don't have to redo the whole thing! My initial guess of things to fix is possibly moving the mouth up just a bit and bring the chin up a bit as well, but I'll let you guys judge that.

One last thing, for those of you who have used Monster Makers clay, how do you get your sculpts so "smooth"? Mine hardens so quick that if I don't get it smooth in the first pass, it stays however I applied it. I was thinking of heating it up with a hair dryer and trying to smooth it out.

Anyhow thanks in advance!
_________________
-Todzilla

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.


Last edited by Todzilla () on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:30 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 318

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sculpt looks good. There are differences in the movie masks fro Prequel to Original Trilogy. This one is the Prequel. Is this the Chewie look you are going for?

I think you should add a bit to the forehead height.

Narrow your mouth a little bit. Add a little width to the temple area and upper head sides.

When hair is added it fills thing up a bit, but not as much as you think. Under skull proportions are really important to try and get right. You wont really know if its perfect until the mask is totally done.

Your nose is a little to plump compared to the photo. Nostrils a bit to flaired and big.

The lip area for your mustache is a bit to wide compared to the photo.

These changes I recommend will improve the final look of the mask for the episode you are going for. The ROTS Chewie.

I think a big problem a lot of Chewie makers have is not making the mask big enough for the height of the final Chewie costume. They make it off their lifecast for their standing height instead of their Chewie overall standing height. You don't want a tiny head look.

I made 4 masks so far and really learned the importance of getting the under skull correct.

You've got a great start. I hope this advice helps a bit......
_________________
Marty Miller

Chewy Layers snow to print
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 248

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:
The sculpt looks good. There are differences in the movie masks fro Prequel to Original Trilogy. This one is the Prequel. Is this the Chewie look you are going for?

Sadly I was going for the Classic Trilogy Chewie, but for posting sake, I used at ROTS photo for comparison because it looked more "straight on". Rookie mistake. Sad Here is a more compatible comparison:


Wookiewannabe wrote:

I think you should add a bit to the forehead height.

Narrow your mouth a little bit. Add a little width to the temple area and upper head sides.

When hair is added it fills thing up a bit, but not as much as you think. Under skull proportions are really important to try and get right. You wont really know if its perfect until the mask is totally done.

I might have to order more clay, unless I reclaim it from another area. Used close to 10 pounds. Not an issue, if it helps get the sculpt right

Wookiewannabe wrote:

Your nose is a little to plump compared to the photo. Nostrils a bit to flaired and big.

This was my worst nightmare LOL! I'll try to cut it down some more. It was bozo the clown huge before. Also it looks like my septum in the middle goes down a little far. I'll see what I can do.

Wookiewannabe wrote:

The lip area for your mustache is a bit to wide compared to the photo.

Totally agree, I'm going to make this change.

Wookiewannabe wrote:

These changes I recommend will improve the final look of the mask for the episode you are going for. The ROTS Chewie.

Well now that we know I'm not going for the ROTS Chewie, what changes would you make? Razz LOL! I apologize for misleading you in the beginning, I should have mentioned it was a OT Chewie and used a OT photo for comparison. If you don't mind Marty, what changes would you make now? Embarassed
_________________
-Todzilla

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jweger77 ()



Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 99

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a matter of references....I'm at the same point as you in sculpting my OT Chewie.

Here is Matt's killer chewie Reference collection.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112058493433897833379/albums/5601515397783108593?banner=pwa

These are the photos you need to base yours off of....There are many different angles to help...here are some examples, there are many more at the link above...





It's a pretty daunting task to get started with the sculpt if you're like me and have no experience sculpting..but once it's going its pretty damn fun! You're on the right path...keep it going!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 318

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ot Chewie is much better for your sculpt. I would still add a bit more to the head height. Alter the nose a little bit.
Other than that I think its looks good.
_________________
Marty Miller

Chewy Layers snow to print
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 248

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys!!

jweger77 wrote:
Here is Matt's killer chewie Reference collection.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112058493433897833379/albums/5601515397783108593?banner=pwa

Holy cow! I've been on the Fringe forums a ton since CBVI and some how I missed Matt's "google" photos page Embarassed I've just been using the GotWookiee's Chewbacca Resource page

jweger77 wrote:

These are the photos you need to base yours off of....There are many different angles to help...here are some examples, there are many more at the link above...


Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking, I guess in my head I was trying to do some hybrid instead of just going off the pictures of the actual mask.

Wookiewannabe wrote:

Ot Chewie is much better for your sculpt. I would still add a bit more to the head height. Alter the nose a little bit.
Other than that I think its looks good.

I totally see what you mean by the height and even the "width" too. Chewie is pretty thick up top at the head:

_________________
-Todzilla

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 5809

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the hair will add thickness too.

I have done 3 different masks, and every now and then I look at my original mask and am amazed as to how thick I made the mask.
_________________
RL Han Solo Archive and information
Han Archive via Photbucket
My Holster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 318

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head height is something people misjudge a lot when they make the mask. Refer to the screen caps a lot to be accurate. Here is my mask with the suit showing the proportions. My mask is 1.2" thick. Its important to have some thickness, but not too much. Hair does add a bit of thickness. Try to avoid adding too much hair as it is soo much easier to style and keep managed with a thin layer of hair.
[img]
Chewie 3.0 suit by mcm1015, on Flickr[/img]
_________________
Marty Miller

Chewy Layers snow to print
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 248

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:
Head height is something people misjudge a lot when they make the mask. Refer to the screen caps a lot to be accurate. Here is my mask with the suit showing the proportions. My mask is 1.2" thick. Its important to have some thickness, but not too much. Hair does add a bit of thickness. Try to avoid adding too much hair as it is soo much easier to style and keep managed with a thin layer of hair.

When you say your mask is 1.2" thick you're talking about the underskull + the mask right? Meaning your original sculpt was 1.2" thick.

The only issue is I have a MASSIVE sized head. I'm even bald, and I have to practically break my nose off to get into my ROTS clone helmet! Not to mention I'm shaped like a barrel: I have 52 inch chest and a 52 inch waist! I'm basically a big cylinder. So long story short I'm looking to use proportions and optical illusions to make my Chewie look like the real deal. Like making the legs proportional to my torso. It's like wearing vertical stripes: it's slims your look and makes you look taller. So probably a higher forehead wouldn't hurt, but probably not a much wider head.

I'm 5'11" + my 14" wookiee feet gets me to 7'1", add a minimal 5 inches of wookiee forehead, I should be at 7'6" not including wookiee hair poof.
_________________
-Todzilla

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 318

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
Wookiewannabe wrote:
Head height is something people misjudge a lot when they make the mask. Refer to the screen caps a lot to be accurate. Here is my mask with the suit showing the proportions. My mask is 1.2" thick. Its important to have some thickness, but not too much. Hair does add a bit of thickness. Try to avoid adding too much hair as it is soo much easier to style and keep managed with a thin layer of hair.

When you say your mask is 1.2" thick you're talking about the underskull + the mask right? Meaning your original sculpt was 1.2" thick.

The only issue is I have a MASSIVE sized head. I'm even bald, and I have to practically break my nose off to get into my ROTS clone helmet! Not to mention I'm shaped like a barrel: I have 52 inch chest and a 52 inch waist! I'm basically a big cylinder. So long story short I'm looking to use proportions and optical illusions to make my Chewie look like the real deal. Like making the legs proportional to my torso. It's like wearing vertical stripes: it's slims your look and makes you look taller. So probably a higher forehead wouldn't hurt, but probably not a much wider head.

I'm 5'11" + my 14" wookiee feet gets me to 7'1", add a minimal 5 inches of wookiee forehead, I should be at 7'6" not including wookiee hair poof.


The underskull is 1.2" thick all the way around. I add hair directly to the underskull. I don not use dragonskin for the face. I only use a nose and mouth appliance made of dragonskin. I them hair punch only the very last 2 rows around the nose and mouth.
Make the underskull as thin or thick as you need it to be so it is the right size final mask with the hair. Im 5'11" 170lbs. I stand exactly 7'9" in the Chewie costume.
You have the right idea with making the costume proportional to actual size you WILL be in costume, Not the real size You stand out of costume.
Make your shirt longer, make your arm length of your shirt much longer than your actual arm length. Dress the costume on a mannequin with the lifts so you can see the proportions in real time.....
_________________
Marty Miller

Chewy Layers snow to print
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jweger77 ()



Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 99

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty, I'm curious...have any pics of the mask in progress? What did you use for your underskull then? I did a search to see if I could find anything on yours and I didn't.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 248

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jweger77 wrote:
Marty, I'm curious...have any pics of the mask in progress? What did you use for your underskull then? I did a search to see if I could find anything on yours and I didn't.

You beat me to it Jon! I'm curious as well, specifically:
Wookiewannabe wrote:

The underskull is 1.2" thick all the way around. I add hair directly to the underskull. I don not use dragonskin for the face. I only use a nose and mouth appliance made of dragonskin. I them hair punch only the very last 2 rows around the nose and mouth.

*How do you attach the hair to the underskull? Glue? Or you latch hook it to a netting then attach it?
*Then I'm guessing the mouth area goes from bottom of the nose to the top of the chin then basically back to the jaw pivot on either side because iof the mouth opening action.
*Last, how do you keep the dragonskin mouth attached and in place while the mouth is moving? Seems like a lot of stress.

This option seems pretty attractive than casting a whole heavey silicone face.
_________________
-Todzilla

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 248

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after a few weeks of working on the wookiee toes and feet, I jumped back into the sculpt, I know 3rd time is a charm, but I'm hoping the second try will work.

Here is the front. At first I thought the nostrils were too big, but my niece noticed that the mustache will actually cover them a bit. Is the mouth too wide still? I also widened the head too.


Angled view.


Side view.


Top view.


Keep in mind I still haven't smoothed it out yet, that will come after I get the "all clear" for a mold from you guys. Anyhow, please let me have it.
_________________
-Todzilla

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 248

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also should the Jaw width be narrower along with a slightly more pointy head? The more I look at my sculpt, the head looks almost "boxy". Let me know what you think.
_________________
-Todzilla

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 12 Jun 2005
Posts: 282

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its coming along great. You have a bit of a pig nose going on. the front of it needs to come down some so its not all nostrils. The nose is so difficult for some reason. its got to look good in all three directions. Otherwise it will alter the face in the end. I cant really explain what you need to do, but it looks really close to the original. Just need to add forehead wrinkles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group