About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=503cd80112badbdde0ed6081b9e64128Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Weathering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Weathering Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the best way to weather there flightsuit and vest?

Daft question i know but i thought that since i am about t weather my pilot helmet that is shiny i would give the flightsuit and fak vest a slight bit of weathering as well. Don't want to go mad on the weathering just enough so it looks used.

Thanks in advance
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really the best way to weather your suit is to wear it.

You can also use a dry brush painting technique to lightly go over your pocket flaps and elbows, or whereever you want to add a bit to weather.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane's right... The best way, and easiest way, to weather the soft goods is just to wear them. They'll get dirty and stuff in just a few troops so it doesn't even take that long.

You could weather it yourself but I'm not sure how to do that. I've never felt comfortable weathering material, because it's not like a helmet where you can just paint over it if you mess up... Laughing

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Yeah that is my big worry since like you said with my helmet it's just a fairly easy respray but the flightsuit is another matter is i mess it up.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. I've thought of weathering my soft goods but I'm just not willing to risk it, because if I mess up it can't be fixed without just buying that piece all over again.
And, in a way, having cleaner soft goods and a dirty helmet/chestbox kind of makes sense. I mean, chances are a pilot will have their coveralls, flak vest and such washed if they get very dirty, but with a helmet and chestbox they probably wouldn't bother getting it cleaned because it would be much more difficult (such as needing to be repainted and such). Not to mention that I can see a pilot getting a new pair of coveralls or a new flak vest from time to time as they wear out, but a helmet or chestbox would be replaced much less frequently.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samsw ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Not to mention that I can see a pilot getting a new pair of coveralls or a new flak vest from time to time as they wear out.

But would they - would the rebellion have credits to splash out on new flight suit/vest when they got dirty?

Oops back on topic Wink Laughing

I just wore mine doing some light building work in the house (also rolled on the pavement outside) Ashley - suppose if you 'over did itt' you could just wash the flight suit / vest and start again.

Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's varying degrees and techniques in regards to weathering...

Is it an issue of making the dirty, 'worn', or both??

Dirty can be done by simply rubbing the item in dirt or sand... washing can reverse any excess dirtiness.

A 'worn' item technique could be accomplished by rubbing a pumice stone across it. This process is a bit more permanent- proceed with caution so you don't overdo it...
Bushwhacker extraordinaire/Squad Leader
Phoenix 7

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a great tutorial on the mercs site, but I can't find it since they upgraded their boards or something.

I find that general dirt doesn't really show up. The technique I use is from that tutorial where using rag to lightly rub shoe polish onto a brush and then lightly brush the polish onto the fabric works better and actually shows up in photographs compared to just rolling around in the dirt outside.
InvalidEffort ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b046u98yX_c

check this out kinda decent to try and do weathering, just ignore the 'pizza cutter part Wink (from our mando lovin brethren out there)
BobaFiend (Austin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WedgeAntilles wrote:
There used to be a great tutorial on the mercs site, but I can't find it since they upgraded their boards or something.

I believe this is the tutorial you were referring to
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f34/weathering-tutorial-comments-critiques-welcome-23363/

I used it to weather my Battlestar Galactica Flight Deck Crewman coveralls and I loved the effect. Very easy to execute and looks great and very convincing!
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to weather your suit is to wear it. Thumbs up

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott's Y-wing costume before weathering...

So Scott and I worked together to weather his costume... and having done this before I can tell you one of the best ways is with an Airbrush. Its time consuming and does require an airbrush, but there really is no compairison to the results.

I used about 4 main colors with a combination of a few of them. Mainly acrylics thinned down for application thru an airbrush. I used the following colors: Dirt, Mud, Rust, and a dull black. I also used elmers glue on elbows and knees to make the areas look more abused. I would avoid using natural materials when weathering fabrics for anything organic will break down the fibers over time. If you want mud either use theatric mud or something like paint to make it look dirty.

Scotty probably has better pictures than me... I took these in too bright of light.

After...

It takes time, but if you have an airbrush and a bit of time... there really is no compairison IMO.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: