About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e190609c2fc16cede1d90ea6c23e1a5dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

General Obi Wan Kenobi Master Jedi ep III & CW
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Knight Obi (Chad Pulliam)
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: General Obi Wan Kenobi Master Jedi ep III & CW Reply with quote

Hey fellow Jedi,

Ive been trooping for the past few years and have been a formal member for the past year and a half.

Ive always had the goal of working towards a formal Obi Wan

Im pretty particular about things as Ive fully replicated two star cars.. so now my sights set on working on my Obi Wan.

Just for kicks.. post some events that we have done with my star car Kitt from Knight Rider and my General Lee

This is a better pic of what I have now. Pic taken at ConCarolinas

I want to go for a screen accurate Obi Wan. I have the natural hair and beard I think for Obi Wan.

I know I have to get the correct boots. Will be getting these...

And Im going back and forth on either changing the pants if needed. The color is not screen accurate when I got it from the guy in signapore. The top including all the tabards, inner tunic, obi, and belt are fine.... Just that I need to modify it the collar on the inner tunic to the tri-fold.. or go with this option

giving me 2 jedi costumes.. both formal. One hopefully formal Obi Wan.

Ive been eyeing this one.. as everything mostly looks correct.. and closer to the color. If I decided to keep my current as is as a Formal Generic Jedi and applying for a second for the Obi Wan pictured above. I would use my current robe for both Jedi.

So what does everyone think? Would like to hear other opinions

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
NC Regional Captain-Eastern North Carolina

Last edited by Jedi Knight Obi (Chad Pulliam) on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other additional photos of current items

I do love my big functional pouch. It can mimic a jedi binocular pouch.. but its actually used for my Smartphone holder.

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Im basicly asking if I did go with the Customprops costume with what I have gathered before. Does anyone see any problems getting accepted as formal Obi with the Master Replica boots and Current Robe...

Or Does anyone see what else I need to do to my current costume to modify it to be formal Obi Wan that I haven't stated already.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Chad,

Congratulations on choosing one of the most iconic Jedi ever! I’ll offer some thoughts…which are coming from my personal opinion, and not so much as from the point of view of an LCJ.

I’ll go from the ground up…

The boots you’ve got pictured are more than adequate. The price isn’t bad, if they’re real leather and custom made.

The pants you have (to my eye) appear a little too orangy-pink. The color of the original pants worn by Mr. McGregor are called “mustard”. These, however, don’t seem terribly difficult to find.

For the belt, the one that’s pictured on top looks good. The lightsaber is fine. The leather pouch is, however, an Anakin pouch. You’ll need the Obi-wan version. As for the resin “pouches” (I call them boxes), you’d also need to get a screen accurate set. There are a few people who make then (myself included…just PM for interest). The covertec is good and the food capsules also look good. Just make sure you’ve got the right number AND arrange the components on your belt in the proper order.

As for customsprops…I’m having a hard time finding their website. But from the picture you have posted, I would say the color of the fabric is too light and needs to be darker and more of an “orangy beige” color. I’ve not seen any of their costumes up close and personal (I have seen the museumreplicas costumes up close), but I would say this about all of these commercially available costumes:
-they usually need some modification to make them fit
-they are rarely ever lined, and the fabric used is often thin, making it look cheaply made
*the sleeves (at least) on the OWK costume is lined with a satin-type (shinny) material. This is clearly evident in the films. The main body of the outer tunic wasn’t lined, but the main body of the inner tunic was the same color as the outer tunic, otherwise, it would have shown through.
-AND shoulder tucks…OWK must have shoulder tucks on the outer tunic. I’m not sure if the customsprops has tucks.

Regarding your Jedi outer tunic, to my eye, the skirt portion of the outer tunic looks a tad short. The tabard length is not bad.

And here’s something about the obi that most people don’t realize…the grain of the fabric texture is diagonal rather than vertical or horizontal (which is most often the case when folks make obis). If you really want a screen accurate OWK, then your obi would need to have the diagonal grain. But understand, this is not in the costume standards for Episode III OWK (I think it should be, but it’s not).

For the inner tunic, there needs to be a “two fold” collar. This actually makes for three “folds” counting the inner edge as one. It took me a while to figure out how to do that. The sleeves needs to be bunched in the end. This is something else that is not easy to do (and have it troopable).

Finally, your robe looks okay. It’s certainly full enough, but for OWK, the color is a bit too brown (as it appears in the pics you posted). OWK’s robe is sort of a rust-brown (and almost everyone you ask will give you a slightly description as to how much red/rust/sienna/etc. there is in the robe. But I probably wouldn’t change your robe. I would call it fine.

I’m looking forward to seeing the progress on your OWK. Post LOTS of pics…so “we” can get it just right so that your application can fly through the LCJ judging Wink

If you need any further explanation of what I wrote or reference pics, let me know.

Roger

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go for custome props tunics for an Obi-Wan he does great leather work, as Roger said the colors seem to be off, both on the outer tunic(it seem to be white) and the pants seems to be brown.

as for boots, if you want to pay all the money for museum replicas boots, you should contact JDOS he does custom boots.

I think that was my 5 cents..

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I realize I have the anakin pouch. I initially came to events prior to my knowledge of the Rebel Legion as an anakin inspired generic jedi outfit. Since doing some events with that...everyone suggested and all pushed me to do Obi Wan. Makes since with the beard and natural hair style.

I know the color of the pants were off as soon as I got them. The existing tunics are a light cream color. But for purist.. Would really need a more towarda tan colored tunic. Think Im going to start with the boots and belt stuff first.

Ive read on some of the topics about the pants and said that yellowish tinged kakis would possibly work. There any more on that on what I need to look for on the pants?

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight Obi wrote:
Ive read on some of the topics about the pants and said that yellowish tinged kakis would possibly work. There any more on that on what I need to look for on the pants?

Not so much. I'd browse thrift stores for khakis of the right color. I would definitely spend some time looking for the right color than to attempt to dye a commercially fabricated pair of pants. A friend of mine got a pair of REALLY nice khakis from a thrift store for $2.98. We attempted to dye them gray, which worked, but the thread in the pant was obviously a synthetic or blend that didn't dye. Imagine gray pants sewn together with white thread. Not pretty...though he liked them. But he's weird that way. But I think these kinds of threads (polyester and/or other synthetic blends) might be stronger?

Anyway, anything in the "yellowish" / "mustard" (probably more of a spicey brown rather than French's Yellow Mustard) or even a beige that is darker than the outer tunic would likely work Wink

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been Eyeing these lately. Like to see what you think on the color if they would be the right color or not or in close enough range.

http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-pants/Relaxed-Straight-Leg-Pant-GP638.jsp

On the darker tan available. I also got some tips from other great Jedi in the Legion.. that the straight leg was the way to go.

Going for this look...

of course.. my robe is browner than this one as you stated before.. but it flows nicely with the inner tunic which I like.

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link Roger ... if you wanted to look at the costume props one closer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Obi-wan-Suit-Complete-/130377084339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5b146db3

I also found this one.. and the robe does appear more browner here.

and here

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that some of the other obi-wans have used dickies workpants I think it is as for the robe color you can be tricked by the lighting in a particular scene

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get a reply from Claudio. I sent him this pic and asked about his colors.

got this response...

Quote:
Hi
Thanks for contact us and for your comments!
The tunic is tan color and the pants I can make like a your pic.
Thanks again
Claudio

A few more pics I'll post of the close up of the obi and belt... and the shoulder tucks.

- custom-props

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
roguehunter (Russell Hunter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The costume looks real nice. Only concern I have is the seam line showing on the "shoulder tuck". Is it supposed to look like that? Because I am in the process of making a Jedi tunic and I don't think I have seen a stitch line showing like that in any of the tutorials. Or am I wrong and am missing it?

I have to agree with the others that, while it is convenient to purchase a pre-made Obi-Wan costume, it would benefit you in both time and money spent to do it yourself or hire a seamstress and provide that person with the instructions from the tutorials on here as well as the fabric.

I, personally, have gone to JoAnn's fabric and found ALL the RL approved fabrics for my Jedi Sentinel and with the sales that they are having now with their 50% off coupons, I am scoring MULTIPLE deals on all the fabrics!!!

Just my humble opinion and trying to save a fellow RL'er some time and grief! Ben
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to look at that closely. Its made to order so maybe I can get the way I want it. These are not premade but tailor made to order. The existing one is tailored made also...but the length was just a tad short as stated before. Will add a few more inches this time to play it safe.

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the tutorials and the tutorials say a stitch line is visible but it will be covered by the tabards.

Update* Im in progress of getting my measurements for my boots for JDOS and measurements for Claudio.

My first pic update would likely be my obi belt with updated obi pouches from SithariRog

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp.. everything is all set. As I get everything together.. I'll take lots of photos of everything and post them here. See what everyone thinks.

obiwan

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: