About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7a20a15b00ae9a8c333bf442d20735b1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Regarding ROTJ Pilots: A, B, and Y Wingers!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MILF_Viper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Regarding ROTJ Pilots: A, B, and Y Wingers! Reply with quote

In ROTJ, it is my very strong belief that in most cases the newer pilots, A, Y, and B, do not have a standard mandarin collar as seen on the existing pilot uniforms (x, tie, imp/reb tech.)

The production team simply flipped up the existing collars and sewed a strip of fabric and velcro in place to simulate the mandarin collar, so the DK books ref image of the A-wing that I saw in another thread very well could be right with the collar turned down similar to the B-wings we see.

With ROTJ the flight suits are very cobbled together almost as a last minute thing. Several I have see new reference for are missing pockets seen on the x-wing style flightsuit including but not limited to: sleeve pockets on both arms, upper and lower, thigh pockets, and in all cases there is no evidence of shin pockets.

I have some neat reference material that I am sure many have not seen. I'll try to post it up when I get home tonight. Behind the scenes of the grand opening of Star Tours in i believe 1987, when Lucasfilm outsourced some costumes from the archives. Pretty neat stuff. You'll see. Laughing
MILF_Viper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I had them on my portable hard drive!

These images (at least the first 3) are huge! Click on the thumbs and open them up to 100% to get the full detail view.

Now who can make me a new Y-Wing pilot vest to match that one in the photo? (Just need the vest, I can add the tech doodads) Looks like the belly tube actually goes into a pouch of some sort! Yeah pretty friggin cool right?

Enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/milfviper/Rebel%20Pilot/KumorEric-05-17-10-V34E3J6copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/milfviper/Rebel%20Pilot/awinghelmets.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/milfviper/Rebel%20Pilot/CopyofKumorEric-05-28-10-GPP394M.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/milfviper/Rebel%20Pilot/00020076.jpg

EDIT: Stupid photobucket took away clicky thumbnails!

Last edited by MILF_Viper () on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, can't click on those images.
MILF_Viper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See above edit. I hate new photobucket! Evil or Very Mad
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,hammer.......many many thanks for sharing!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, those are awesome! Thanks for putting those up. Where the heck did you find those?

I've never seen so many A-wing pilot helmets in one place. Even the X-wing pilots have A-wing pilot helmets. Laughing

Interesting. So the collar is definitely different than what I have on my B-wing pilot coveralls. And there are only two leg pockets like I suspected, not four. I can't tell if there are any hip pockets, like you usually see on coveralls and pants, but it doesn't look like it... But those would be a real pain in the butt to remove from coveralls without making a pair from scratch. I also notice that the belt on the B-wing pilot seems to have some sort of metal slide on it, though I wish I could tell better. Hmm...

The Y-wing pilot flak vest is made out of a white material and not tan... interesting. The flak vest is also missing the "box" at the top, the thing that looks like a speaker. There's something at the top of the vest but it's definitely not thick enough to be that box. Looks like it might be big strips of Velcro to attach the box to?

The B-wing pilots are also missing their gaiters. Razz

And yup, there are slides on the ejection harness like I thought. Definitely no code cylinder or commpad pockets. Though I still can't figure out what exactly this pocket is or looks like...

Now that I think about it, the Y-wing pilot flak vest reminds me a lot of the B-wing pilot concept art flak vest...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MILF_Viper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pocket you are outlining on the left arm of the pilot looks an awful lot like the pen pockets on the sleeve of air force flight suits. I have a military flightsuit for my ghostbusters costume and it has a pocket on that exact arm that looks exactly the same as your outline.
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that the Endor guys in one of the picture's helmets look like the darker green we used to have our helmets. Then we changed to the more drab color just to match most of everyone in the legion . Wish I would have kept them darker green . blast. lol

I know Skaught has seen several of the pilot costumes at the archives...

I always thought the B-wing vests reminded me of that grey wool of army blankets from years ago, that had the multi colored fibers woven into it... and from what I saw of the archive picture of the vest it does have those color fibers in it, but maybe darker than what I recall those blankets being...

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILF_Viper wrote:
The pocket you are outlining on the left arm of the pilot looks an awful lot like the pen pockets on the sleeve of air force flight suits. I have a military flightsuit for my ghostbusters costume and it has a pocket on that exact arm that looks exactly the same as your outline.

Do you happen to have a picture of the pocket? I can't seem to find any images of it.

And here's the concept art I mentioned. I moved it to a different album and forgot to update the link. Razz

Wolfie wrote:

I always thought the B-wing vests reminded me of that grey wool of army blankets from years ago, that had the multi colored fibers woven into it... and from what I saw of the archive picture of the vest it does have those color fibers in it, but maybe darker than what I recall those blankets being...

Someone suggested that a little while ago but that material is extremely hard to find now-- or at least I had no luck finding any. I had to settle for a very thick felt, though I think it simulates the look fairly well. And it has some colored fibers in it, it has some yellow and white "specks" and some longer white hair-width fibers. Plus it seems to be almost the exact same shade of gray as the RotJ B-wing pilot flak vests so that's even better.
I've been thinking of adding a few specks of watered-down red and blue shirt paint to give it a little more of the color-specked look, but I'll probably wait until I shorten up my flak vest first (which wont be until I can afford a new sewing machine Confused).

Middle fabric is the flak vest fabric, a thick felt. The top left fabric is what I used for the ribbing, which is also felt but is much thinner, and the bottom right material is backing to strengthen the felt.

The only problem I have with the felt, besides it being really hard to work with because of how thick it is, is that it fuzzes up as you work on it, so I had to keep trimming off pieces of fuzz as they appeared. I ended up putting about a dozen coats of Scotchgard all over the front and back of the vest, which finally stopped the fuzzing-up for the most part... And it gave it a protective layer, so I don't have to worry so much if I spill a little water on my vest. I guess the latter is just a bonus. Laughing

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

3 A-Wing helmets in one pic!

Seeing this I really think I should replace my "something-look-alike-bucket"...

Thanks for sharing this pictures!
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Esco ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got a spare 10 to 15 grand? I can dream.

Found this page while looking through the (incredibly long) catalog for the Hollywood Auction 53 happening this weekend. https://www.profilesinhistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Hollywood53FINAL-updated-121212-72.dpi_.pdf
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow again!

The A-Wing helmet looks like it never had a top shield part...
Also there was never seen a chin cup in the movies...
Maybe this helmet was used as a "design prototype" ?

And the painting looks very interesting - I really like the white - green combination!

And again: Thanks for sharing this pic!
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are pretty neat... but they're not how they appeared in the movies. Weird. I wonder if these were put together after the movie or something?

On the B-wing pilot helmet, they have a white chinstrap, not black, and there's no chin cup (though I have seen pictures of that chin cup off of the helmet, wasn't sure what it went to). The helmet also doesn't have that Y-wing connector on the bottom-- which is also facing in a weird direction. That helmet doesn't have any "cockpit connection cords", for lack of a better term. The black "wedge" on the top back of the helmet is also significantly different than any I've ever seen on the helmet... The other B-wing pilot helmets I've seen it looks more like they're actually part of the helmet itself, not a piece attached onto it afterwards, and it's painted the same base color of the helmet. Also, the back edge isn't wide enough.

The A-wing pilot helmets in the movie don't have the Y-wing connector, either. Or a chinstrap. And it's missing the top shield.
It's also interesting that they mention a "chest piece" but don't actually show it...

They're great pictures and interesting items, but I wouldn't use them for references for building a halmet. I wouldn't call these "accurate" at all... Maybe they're prototypes, like Okami Dai suggested? Pre-production. Or helmets that were made after the filming.
Either way, that's a lot of money for things that were never used in the movie, or are "accurate". Still, I'd love to own them. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure this are helmets for the background actors and they are screen used.Here are a few more pictures I had found.

seba1983 (Sebastiano)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing tha A-wing helmet!!!!!!!! Awing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: