Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=72bc842865845d7082e2054f37ccf688Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Snoova WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: My Snoova WIP Reply with quote

I can't imagine adding anything to the amazing and detaild tutorials on these forums so I hope to just use this thread to show periodic progress, ask questions and hope the Wookiee judges and experts can stop me before I go too far down a wrong path.

After seeing Marty's Snoova pics in Nov 2011 on the 501st forums I fell for the costume. Being Darth Maul is nearing its twilight for me so I wanted another marquee character and a Wookiee fit the bill (I know I will forever be called Chewbacca. I can deal with that)

Here is where I am after creating:
-added muscular bulk with modified football shoulder pads, hockey shin guards on the upper arms and hockey pants. 3/4" foam added to the chest (2layers) and back (1 layer) for added bulk.
-Aker amp embedded in the chest armour
-mesh pants (started with hair but went to upper body after considering the foot blending might scrap some/all of my work) Chewie-Changa toes are in the post so I can get back to legs once they arrive.
-mesh shirt (single arm done at the time of this post)
-marked the off-colur patches with bright green and pink craft line so that hooking would be easier.
-added periodic 'follicles' of black for detailing and realism
-bare stilts sized for a 7'7" height pre-head 7'10" desired total height.
-gorilla costume gloves that extend fingers by 1.5"

Colours:
and black (I forget the #)

So, here is a short vid of where I'm at. So how does it look so far proportionally and what should I beware of as I proceed?

That arm is thick and heavy. No thinning has yet been done. Using 16" lengths on the majority of the arm with 24" length for the bottom inch of the cuff and the full length of the underside of the arm.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Good work!
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Be sure to refer to Snoova reference pics to make sure you have the color patches added in the correct areas. You will need to supply your reference photos for accuracy of the build.

Just want all the hard work you put in to be correct the first time around.

Chewy Layers snow to print
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done the initial latching of the arms this week.

Ref pics https://plus.google.com/photos/112058493433897833379/albums/5601647222564246625?banner=pwa

Ref pics suggest anything from a near solid brown to a leopard spot pattern. I'm going for a majority brown with regular intermittent spots of black and a few larger black patches.

Opinions and critical judgement always welcome.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, after showing my WIP in home today during a party and explaining how wearing this costume makes me feel great, I came across this TED talk on body language.

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are.html

Wearing a Wookiee literally makes you more powerful.

Jump to 8:05 mark for TL:DR synopsis
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update:

Head is in transit from Ryan

The 'shirt' is complete. I found the shoulders to be the most challenging but I think they look great. I still need to add some 12" hair lengths in it intermittently then thin the entire thing. It's really heavy.

Feet are done. Toes are Ryan's work. Again, thinning to be done.

Working on giving Snoova a voice so I designed 2 gloves that house sound triggers. I built them into rollerblade wrist guards. IF I ever fall, I expect that my wrists will be the most vulnerable. Given their ability to securely house the trigger switches it was a win-win design, IMHO.

These will be worn over my gloves. I still plan on adding hair and colour to disguise them completely.

Next step is pants and then head work when it arrives.

Well ahead of schedule.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Definitely post some video when you've got it all completed!
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the audio gloves. In the vid you will see that I have one black glove on. It has rubber fingers from a gorilla costume glove I got the day after halloween. I filled the rubber tips with expanding foam and then attached to a nomex flight glove.

Here you see the extra length of fingers from the mod:

As for the audio, I have 2 units, each with 4 sounds, one on each hand integrated into a rollerblade wristguard. Each glove also has a null switch to kill sound in accidentally activated.

In the vid, the 2nd last sound is a vibro axe ignition and 10sec hum. The last sound is for when the public get too close or aggressive.

http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz292/Berzerker_9223/?action=view&current=D6BB0472-C695-428A-B292-F0762E4FB5E3-10742-00002259DEEC0AC8.mp4

Last edited by berzerker (Andy Pegan) on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Very Happy
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berzerker wrote:

These will be worn over my gloves.

I was also looking into putting micro switches in my gloves. The rollerblade wrist guards are a good idea, I may still have an old pair in storage.

Also what sound module are you using?

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using BuildaBear units for Tusken sounds (I made 15 Tusken for sale this year) and while they work well for that purpose, they have some issues - no USB input and only a single sound, So I search ebay and found this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200s-USB-MP3-with-5-BUTTONS-device-voice-music-sound-music-record-recorder?item=260980430041&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4288360367636198786#ht_2075wt_952

I soldered a mono 3.5mm female jack in place of the speaker and connect to an Aker amp.

The software you get with the sound unit is simple to use. I think it is a nice mod and for $10, worthwhile.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berzerker wrote:
I have been using BuildaBear units for Tusken sounds (I made 15 Tusken for sale this year) and while they work well for that purpose, they have some issues - no USB input and only a single sound, So I search ebay and found this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200s-USB-MP3-with-5-BUTTONS-device-voice-music-sound-music-record-recorder?item=260980430041&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4288360367636198786#ht_2075wt_952

I soldered a mono 3.5mm female jack in place of the speaker and connect to an Aker amp.

The software you get with the sound unit is simple to use. I think it is a nice mod and for $10, worthwhile.

Great find! I also have an Aker amp for my clone trooper, but it's not in use right now. What I like about the Aker is you can pump in the wookiee sounds from this board, but also use your voice as well.

I think I might have to pick one of these up. Thanks again!

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added this to my Garrison forums and thought I would copy/paste here:

I've been asked so here's some of how it gets done. I have completed a major part of this build so I can't go back but this might help a future builder on this part of the build.

Off-colour patches:
Prep area. I do all my latching while standing. Best mobility and access to materials. Area to be worked on is presented by hanging on shower curtain rod and held in place with 2 forceps. Leg has foam in it to maintain shape. Forceps used to hold foam in place. Off-colour patch is marked with bright craft string.

Prep hair to be used. Hair has been straightened, cut to size of 16" lengths and grouped in workable 'follicles' in my home made 'rake'. Rake is made from dollar store combs screwed on a 2X4. Loading the rake is the one aspect I hate most. Cup is used to amplify music on iPhone. Don't drink and latch, kids.

Latch hair. Maintain regular spacing. I do cheat on spacing at the border of the patch, making it tighter than regular when required. If it's inside the coloured area, use alt colour. I do not use a blend (mixing follicles of hair with 50/50 blend of colours used) at the border but you could if you are a masochist.

Don't get cocky, kid. Keep going. You're doing great.

Once you reach the top and the coloured string area is filled, cut the cord.

and pull it out.

Keep latching primary colour and, voila, you're done.

To complete the project, hair is to be thinned and clumped. Here it is unthinned but test clumped using water from a spray bottle and hair bunched in hands to give the desired look. Still debating the best way to get this look permanently. Rattle can matte lacquer is being considered.

I look like an ape.

Chewie-changa Wookiee skull (previous pic has the accompanying skin overlay.)
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Andy!
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this all looks amazing! I may need to hit you up for the wrist guard idea for my wook!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: