About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dd39f8c03a94ab9d0145b6f1b224207dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wet-molding the belt pouches Part 1-The Right Side

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Wet-molding the belt pouches Part 1-The Right Side Reply with quote

Smugglers,

There is perhaps no part of making your own belt more intimidating than wet molding the pouches. Since posting my thread on the belt build, I have had several requests to detail this part. It's really not as hard as it seems, and with a little time and patience, pretty much anyone can get professional results. First, there are some things you will need:

SUPPLIES:

You will need these two tools:

[img]
Tools-1 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

The one on top is a standard utility knife from the hardware store. The one below is called an overstitch wheel, available from Tandy leather. Mine is a Number 6, meaning it makes six perforations per inch. You will also need a molding form, something like this:

[img]
Mold Form-2 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

The little block in the center of the form is 2" high by 1 5/8" wide, and 5/8" thick. This will be used to form the pouch. You will need a second form like this to make the smaller pouch as well. The block for the smaller pouch should be 2" high by 1" wide, by 5/8" thick.

OTHER THINGS YOU'LL NEED:

4-6oz leather
Staple Gun
CO2 Cylander
Wood Base to Staple Into
Templates for Pouches (available in a separate post)

THE PROCESS:

We'll start with the loop for the CO2 cylander, since it is easiest, and introduces the process well. Use the template marked "loop" to cut the leather for the loop. Use the utility knife to cut the leather. If you do not have the template, cut a strip of leather 3 1/2" long by 1 1/2" high. Place the leather in water to soak for awhile. I leave it for about an hour, but it could be as little as five or ten minutes. Be aware the the leather will bleed some brownish color, so use a container you don't mind getting stained. Once the leather has soaked, place the CO2 cylander on your piece of wood, and smooth the wet leather around the cylander, like so:

[img]
Wet Mold-3 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

After this, wedge the staple gun as close tto the side of the cylander as you can and staple the leather down, like this:

[img]
Wet Mold 4a by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

Staple down the side with a couple of staples:

[img]
Wet Mold-4 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

Don't worry about the staple holes in the leather, they will get concealed later. Pull the leather tight around the cylander and staple the other side. It should look like this when you're done:

[img]
Wet Mold-5 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

That's it for the cylander for now. Set it aside and let it dry. Now, use the template and utility knife to cut out the leather for the "large pouch." You could go ahead and cut two of these, as you need two for the belt. Also, even though the template shows the notches in this pouch, don't cut those yet. It works better to do that after the molding. Soak the leather for the pouch. When it is finished, use the wood block form and smooth the leather over it, just like with the cylander. Something like this:

[img]
Wet Mold-6 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

Wood works well for the forms because it soaks up some of the water from the leather, helping it dry faster and from the inside out. Next, snug the staple gun up to the edge and staple it down:

[img]
Wet Mold-7 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

Repeat this for all three sides:

[img]
Wet Mold-8 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

Let the molds dry overnight. The leather will lighten in color as it dries. When it's done, it looks like this:

[img]
Wet Mold-9 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

Pull out the staples, and you have hard, formed leather pieces, like this:

[img]
Wet Mold-10 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

Now to trim off the excess. I use a piece of cardstock 1/4" wide. Lay it close to the edge of the formed leather, and mark the place to cut. Like this:

[img]
Wet Mold-12 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

After you have trimmed your pieces, you should have this:

[img]
Wet Mold-13 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

Now, to cover the staple holes and give you a good set of marks to guide your sewing. Take the overstitch wheel and run it along the edge of the formed leather. When you're done, it looks like this:

[img]
Wet Mold-14 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

Repeat this for the second "large pouch" and the "small pouch." That's about it for this side of the belt, the pieces are ready to stain and sew onto the belt. It should be noted, for accuracy, that these pouches are not stained on the inside on the original belt. The belt is stained first, the outside of the loop and pouches are stained, and then sewn onto the belt.

I'll tackle the large pouch on the left side in another post. It is similarly made, but a little different process. Also, I'll be posting templates for cutting all the pieces needed to make the pouches, so stay tuned.

Good luck with your building projects. Take lots of pics and keep us posted. As always,

May the Force be with You,

Brian
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great - one thing I would mention is that on my build in order to make the edges a little crisper, I scored "fold lines" on the inside with a gouge tool.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this, this is going to be a great resource.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be a big help! Thanks!!
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks great - one thing I would mention is that on my build in order to make the edges a little crisper, I scored "fold lines" on the inside with a gouge tool.

I remember you mentioning this in your build thread, and it does seem like a good idea. Perhaps when I do the tutorial for the left-side pouch, I'll do this to illustrate the process.

If people decide to try this, you will also need a V-gouge, available from Tandy.

Glad everyone is enjoying the thread, I hope it helps.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get this moved over to the tutorial section...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: