About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8e26c2549e8de040cc4e75d82c1ed3a3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Potential C3PO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Potential C3PO Reply with quote

Hey

I'm from Ryloth Base.

We have a R2 but I was thinking of making a 3PO suit.

I heard this was the place to go if you wanna get your droid thang on!

does any one know how I can make one?
There is no death, there is the Force.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Threepios procure armor from various sources. No one person makes the whole suit. Most pieces are descended from either the original Daniels suits or from other sources. As such, they are a snug fit for someone with his height and build and don't really fit anyone else.
All of the Threepio costumers I know of have a lean, fit build and are average height.

I have a set of the Threepio armor from various sources (I'll be building a backpack for my Chewie) and its pretty ridiculous how small it is.

There have also been a number of other Threepio scratch builds (two that I can think of).

Your best bet to start is to check out some of the other Threepio builds on this forum, and also visit a few of the following resources:

Chris Bartlett's C-3PO Page
C-3PO Builders Forum
Gordon Tarpley's YouTube channel (covers a budget chroming option that looks damn good!)
GordonTarpley ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt!
The c3po builders forum has links to just about anything you could want.
(also has a faceook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/C-3PO-Builders/351052654976472

Yeah, it's a tricky costume to build. Took my about a year to acquire all the parts plus a few months of prep work (ongoing)

He's also right about the size too. I'm a tad tall for the suit but I'm pretty thin so I can pull it off. I'm a bit over 5'10" and weigh about 140lbs give or take.

For most of the armor, arms and hands, torso, legs,
The TK409 parts are very nicely made. He's totally trustworthy and will get you the parts but the wait for them is VERY long right now. Took over 7 months to get mine and there are a few people now waiting close to a year.

For some of the other parts, check out the Starbuckcylon pieces.
He makes a few head kits, some hands, shoes/feet and is working on flexible shorts. He's the fastest person I've worked with. Usually ships parts in less than two weeks. (usually within a few days)

Moncal (faraway creations) makes some nice Vacformed shorts, (what I'm currently using) a few metal (brass and/or aluminum) parts eyes, head antenna, etc...
and urethane hands and feet. the feet run pretty small. the hands are related to screen used hands and look really nice but are very tight.
They also take a LOOOONG time to ship parts after purchasing but the quality is good.

For the small greeblie parts, I've modeled most (probably all) of them in 3d and they can be printed at my shapeways store.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gordontarpley
I use them all over my suit. The material is strong and the quality is good. I can send photos if you're interested.

I'll also be making some templates for the arms based on the Don Post arms. They're a part that could pretty easily be scratch built and look accurate. Besides being much cheaper than fiberglass versions, the thinner walls of the tubing will give them more room inside.
I'll post them up on the c3po builders forum when they're ready.

Also, I'm working on a helmet kit now. Should be available early next year. It'll have the most accurate face of any of the kits I've seen.

My progress has been documented on my blog.
Maybe some of it would be helpful to you.
http://iamc3po.blogspot.com/

Good luck! If you have any questions, email me at my facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/GordonTarpley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: