About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6862fbf491fe98990167d243ac170e69Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Fabric ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallenJedisLady ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Jedi Fabric ? Reply with quote

Can bedsheets be used for fabric to make a Jedi costume out of? Not the standard ones but a simple from a pattern costume.

Is there any type of fabric that is acceptable to use? Like cotton?
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first reaction was, "For the love of Yoda, no!"

But here's a better response...

Looking at all of the Jedi in the films, I would just about say that "all" of them use some kind of fabric with a texture. The textures used most often is the gauze or wrinkled type fabrics. Many of these are cotton. Well...many of the fabrics used by Jedi costumers are cotton, but cotton comes in so many forms. Yes, some use silks, linens and blends, but the majority use cotton or a cotton blend. The real key (for most folks) is to get the least expensive fabric possible...cause costuming isn't cheap!

Like I said, may folks use the cotton gauze fabrics. These are ubiquitous and can be found year around (though cotton gauze is considered "seasonal" and is more prevalent in the summer months). Places like Dharma Trading Co. (http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3577-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_cotton.html) carry their lots of cotton gause all year around. But, it is white...however, they also carry an incredible line of fabric dyes and "how to's" to show you the ins and outs of dyeing.

The other thing to remember is that for many of the "shear" or light weight fabrics, a liner is often needed (and sometimes even requested by our LCJs) to give the fabric that "heavier" weight or look.

The problem with bed sheets is they rarely have any kind of texture to them (I've never even seen sheets with texture, but...having said that, I'd bet someone is going to respond with a link with one). The heavier bed sheets (cotton at 600-800 thread count) are a HUGE pain to keep ironed. And...if you buy the "better" sheets, by the time you get enough sheets to make a whole Jedi costume, you could have spent less money on a more appropriate fabric that will look WAY better than bed sheet tunics.

And please, don't use bed sheets or even flannel sheets for Jedi robes. I do use flannel sheets to do mock ups of some costumes before cutting the "real" fabric. In fact, I'm doing that now to develop a Plo Koon robe.

So...my advice would be to NOT use bed sheets or any kind of plain cotton for a Jedi costume. There's no problem using them for mock ups or in developing patterns. Most folks do use old bed sheets (or REALLY cheap fabric) for developing or trying patterns.

And...I would go so far as to say...if it's obvious you used a bed sheet for your costume, your costume might be denied approval...or would require enough modification to make using bed sheets not worth the effort.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
FallenJedisLady ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info and the link. Smile
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for making mock-ups! Never for the actual costume! What Dave said! Strive for natural fibers or natural fiber blends that have a texture to it. My last Jedi tunic set cost me less than $50 with coupons for 100% real linen.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osnaburg in 100% cotton is a good alternative. It has texture and is heavy enough not to need a lining. In it's "natural, unbleached" color it is a cream or light tan so does not need to be dyed. It is also not very expensive, especially when combined with a JoAnn's coupon for 40-60% off.

Even full price, it's half that of most other cottons
http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=22d2e3c7-a981-4c72-8e3a-c76c6b880cb8
FallenJedisLady ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no no! Never for the real thing!

and thank you JediKate for the link. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: