About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8b01160ff1e649eb139d61f278aa2701Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gungi, the Fourth known Jedi Wookiee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:
If Gungi is going to be canon an acceptable, then the height would need to be 5ft. No taller. Shouldnt the applicant be a child because he is a padawan.

You know that will never fit well with the RL's charter. Smile

I am sure it was meant as a joke, but some people who watch the forums will start to get ideas... and the last thing we need is children applying with Gungi costumes.
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:
If Gungi is going to be canon an acceptable, then the height would need to be 5ft. No taller. Shouldnt the applicant be a child because he is a padawan.

The coloring is very similar to Chewie, less the grey. The bandolier is a bit different.

Its a slippery slope where anyone who wants to do a wookiee but doesnt like the stilts or lifts is now automatically a Gungi character. The "short Chewbacca" in the eyes of the public. Most of the public or even kids do not watch the clone wars or maybe missed these few episodes.

I see a future of short wookiees that that public has no idea that is a youngling.
"hey arent you too short for Chewbacca""says the public.....

I guess we will see.

As much as I can see the need for a height restriction on this character, I will point out that in http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8975 Jawas and Ewoks have not been given a height restriction and they are shorter characters than Gungi. On the note of people who don't want to do a stilted or height enhanced wookiee, I still have yet to see or hear someone say they are Lumpy. Gungi is still listed as an initiate or youngling unless they have made him a padawan in Season 5, Episode 8, but it does lead to problems when an age group can only costume in certain outfits, I honestly don't want to be the one to tell a child they cannot do an outfit because they become a teenager and are taller than 5 feet, not to mention you will have to apply that rule to serval characters in your costume standards Ahsoka been one of them. If it is the will of the judges that Gungi can be no taller than 5 feet can it please be put in the costume standards that way people will know if they can do this character.

I really would have like to have done this character been part of a lightsaber dueling club and doing it as my favourite race, Gungi just opened that door for me and I hoped that a maximum height restriction wouldn't hinder that. But now that I know I can't, I will get started my stilted wookiee.

Thank you for your time.
Herald ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:
Shouldnt the applicant be a child because he is a padawan.

Children can't apply, only adults :P
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as I'm very new to this area, I think see what you are saying by slippery slope, but I'm unclear about the height restrictions. The canon characters is 153cm, or 5'1 1/2" or so. So by my calculations, setting 5' as a height restriction is already restricting it to costumers who are an inch and a half shorter than the canon character. Since average height in many countries tends to be taller than 5' this cuts out this character for a significant majority of costumers.

How does this compare to other height restrictions? I couldn't find the height limit for Jawas and Ewoks, can someone show me the link to their restrictions, please? I've seen pictures of pretty tall Jawas around. And, closer to home, that other young Wookie, Lumpy? Is there a height restriction for him?

In my group we have a member who is mad about Ahsoka. She's an adult, and tall for Ahsoka, but nobody has told her that there is a height limit for her character. Is this something that we all should be concerned about? How tall is Anakin and Luke Skywalker? What are their height restrictions? You are absolutely right... This is a very confusing and slippery slope... Shocked

Tython Base Facebook Page
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, we can't let a character be denied just because people don't recognize them. Chewie's fame and status is in no way diminished by this character, so I can't understand the concern. But if you are worried about who will know the character, than you need to look around at the strange and obscure characters we allow already. Otherwise, why do we have a million Wilrow Hoods, or any EU character for that matter? I certainly don't know who half of the characters are in our Allies and Fringe sections, but because there are references, they are allowed. Gungi is a face character from the TV show - the top level of canon along with the films, so regardless of what the public thinks of him, he ought to be allowed. If people ask, just tell them it's a wookie child. He has his own requirements and accessories totally apart from any other wookie character, specific or generic. Unlike Star Wars fans, the general public aren't that concerned. And if they are, they need to get out more.

EDIT: Okay, glad to see that nobody is questioning whether or not he can be admitted. So the debate is on height, eh? It can't be a child since we don't admit children, but as for height, that's tough. Would we allow a 6 foot Jawa? I don't know. His restrictions should be similar to those of small characters. I do feel that, if you are much taller that 5 feet, you should find a character more appropriate to your size. It's not like the Star Wars universe is lacking in characters to costume.

Mr. Green

Cool

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have height restrictions on Wookiees because you can easily increase your height via platforms, lifts, and stilts. The height on Wookiees is also a defining characteristic. It's not really important on characters like Obi-Wan or Anakin.

Making yourself shorter for a Jawa or Ewok is impossible without surgery.

The issue with short Wookiees is for generic Wookiees. Obviously Gungi and Lumpy are canon characters and should be accepted if they are reproduced faithfully.

Child Wookiee characters are not just small versions of adults. They also have larger heads and larger facial features (in proportion to their body) and stubbier bodies.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... can't wait to see where this goes.

My wife asked me to make her a Gungi but I will wait to see what happens here.

I think it is a great character and to put a limit of 5' is wrong. She is 5'8'' and I have ideas how to make her look like a youngling wookiee.

Heck... I was even thinking of doing a whole different style of fur to make it look more animated.
I personally think we should be make the Clone Wars characters that we make look more animated. That way there is a distinction between real life characters and cartoon. ( just my opinion so don't go crazy over this.)

I get asked all the time. "How tall are you in costume." I say "right at 8'."
Now... I've had members here to make sure to remind me about Peter Mayhew's height and what he say's how tall he was in costume.
That puts me 3'' over Chewie's height, but can anyone really tell about those 3''? I don't think so.

I think if you have a 5'10'' Gungi next to a 7' Chewie you can see the difference. It's all about making the Gungi costume look like a youngling.

The face should be more rounded. The top of the head should be shorter (more human shaped.) and the snout should be less pronounced.

Plus Gungi carries a light saber. Anyone that has seen the films knows that Chewie never carried a light saber... but that is a moot point because I have been called Bigfoot more times than I can remember.

Just my two cents. I know it will upset someone here so please don't get your panties in a bunch. We are adults... so let's discuss like adults.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the era of the short wookiees begin then.....

Face likeness and overall look will come into play when coming up for approval. A 5ft or so wookiee up for approval doesnt mean and auto approval with the name Gungi attached to it.

Also how is it to be judged when animated hair looks much different than Real movie style hair.

Animated clones are different than movie clones and judged accordingly by the accuracy of the look matching the cartoon look. Shouldnt the wookiees be the same?

Chewy Layers snow to print
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also how is it to be judged when animated hair looks much different than Real movie style hair.

Animated clones are different than movie clones and judged accordingly by the accuracy of the look matching the cartoon look. Shouldnt the wookiees be the same?[/quote]

I agree with Marty. I think that an animated Wookiee should look more like an animated character. As he pointed out about the Clones.

This is a tough one because it involves animated hair. I'm looking forward on how this turns out.
Maybe some of us could come up with ideas on the fur and then vote on what should be used.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cartoon clones are really the only animated style costume that is permitted in either club. Every other costume must be done as a "live action version" of the same costume. That's why the various armored Jedi Generals, Ashoka, Durge, Dooku and Padme's Clone Wars costumes have all been built as a live action version of the same costume.

Clone Troopers can pull it off because the cartoon clones don't really look that different than the live action clones. Sure, they have exaggerated, cartoony proportions but the costumes look to be made of the same materials in both cartoon and live action. For this reason the cartoon clone armor lends itself to being built.

You can't really do this with things like clothe, skin, hair, etc. None of the Clone Wars Wookiees really look like hair; they look like the Hasbro 12" action figure which was made of plastic and had sculpted hair.

So I would say Gungi or any other Clone Wars Wookiee should be done in live action.
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only 5'3", so I could never have hoped to really pull off a wookiee before, even with stilts. I've also always wanted an excuse to do a wooden handled, but canon, lightsaber. Gungi finally gives me a chance to do both. I think that this is going to be a really time consuming one to do, but I hope to maybe eventually get to work on it. Lightsaber will definitely be the first part I work on though. I'm wondering though, since he is a youngling, if a shorter blade would be acceptable for his lightsaber. I have an Ultimate FX RotJ Luke saber that I could easily strip apart and reshell in a custom handle. The great thing is that yesterday's episode has an incredible 360 view of Gungi's saber, and exactly how it went together!

Oh, and FYI, 1.53 meters (the listed height for Gungi) is 60.236 inches, so 5' 1/4" give or take a hair (pun intended). So in my opinion, making him anywhere from 5' to anywhere OBVIOUSLY under the standard wookiee size should be reasonable. Hey, he would eventually grow up some before Order 66, right?

One last thing. Just because the general public may not know who a character is, or might get them confused with a better known character is absolutely no reason to not allow that character. If that were the case, then there are LOTS of canon characters who would never get done, such as my Lobot or my wife's Yarna.
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd better do this if the judges are going to be looking at the outfits based on animated transferred to real life.

Obviously we have Gungi on the left and Chewbacca on the right, as you can see they both have very different hair colouring, Gungi's is more bronzed and doesn't have the dark patches, head is similar to normal wookiees, but doesn't have the noticable nose split, however it you can see one just barely on HDTV. Gungi also can close his mouth with his lower left canine sticking out. The hair is noticably shorter than that of Chewbacca and can be seen on the 1st picture shown Gungi does have a similar toe configuration to humans, that been a big toe on each foot.

Now that is an observation just based on the wookiee side of the outfit. I still would like to do this outfit, if the judges will be reasonable about the height restriction. Most of features are easily reproduced, but the hair is the big question, for some blends of 27/4 would go very well with Gungi but would this be acceptable seen there is a big colour difference in the animated version which doesn't account the the mixed blend effects we do see in real life versions. For if you look at Firebird's Lumpy, that is a great blend for Gungi as a real life wookiee.
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of Gungi's teeth, he is actually missing his lower right canine, as well as at least one (maybe two) of his upper left incisors. There are a couple of scenes where he has his mouth open and you can clearly see this. Now, if someone is going to do a static shut mouth, then I'd say that having just the one lower left canine sticking out should be a requirement, since it is a distinguishing feature of his face.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiv wrote:
Gungi does have a similar toe configuration to humans, that been a big toe on each foot.

Gungi's, Chewie, Tarfful and all other Wookiees who have appeared in The Clone Wars have feet that are based off of one of the three feet made during the Original Trilogy:

If you watch the behind the scenes video for "Wookiee Hunt" you can see them looking at one of the OT suits with Peter, and its clear from other details (like Chewie's bandolier in that episode and overall facial likeness) that their virtual Wookiee builds are based on that suit rather than the Revenge of the Sith Wookiees.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they spun his lightsaber around on this week's episode, I thought, "Someone's going to capture this and thank the Clone Wars peeps for making that thing rotate nicely in HD to capture a lot of good reference images!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: