Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=701f567b661b2bba8078a09968d3cdedMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Latex Glue Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alpha Chaos 13 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Latex Glue Question Reply with quote

I have an old latex mask that has some pieces that are loosening from the main mask. What kind of adhesive would be good to use to shore it up? Thanks!
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try to pick up some liquid latex at your local craft store. Usually with the Diorama stuff. You can use it to make masks or repair masks. mixes well with acrylic paints as well so you can even color it to match. Hope that helps a little.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Alpha Chaos 13 ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Alpha Chaos 13 ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further question on the liquid latex: How strong is it? Could I use it to "glue" things to the latex mask? Am I better off with something else? Thanks for the help, this is new territory for me!
DL (Johan Hanson)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, you can only "glue" latex to latex with latex. Not really a glue. It bonds to itself.

What is it that you want to apply to the mask?
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha Chaos 13 wrote:
A further question on the liquid latex: How strong is it? Could I use it to "glue" things to the latex mask? Am I better off with something else? Thanks for the help, this is new territory for me!

liquid latex is very strong once it is dried, so yes you could use it to "glue" things to the mask. I used liquid latex to bond every part of my Vaabesh mask together and I never had an issue with it. It is strong, flexible and easy to use. Just have to keep in mind that it is strong once dried and depending on how think you put it on, could take up to 30 minutes or so. Thin coats are best but the basic answer is Yes it will hold and hold strong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a few drops of acrylic paint to tint the latex to a color similar to what you are trying to patch. A little goes a long way and latex will always dry darker than than the liquid's color would suggest.
Alpha Chaos 13 ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! So here's what I'm trying to do: I'm trying to improve a werewolf mask for my nephew. I want to add stuff to the inside to support it, so that there is no floppy cave-in effect. I'm thinking strategically placed foam padding & maybe cut pieces of a Listerine bottle to give some rigid support. The liquid latex worked great for the little patching I had to do. I plan on giving it a fresh paint job with latex paint when all is said & done.
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty easy fix. What I did to add stability and still keep the flexibility of latex is to use green foam (upholstery foam). it can be cut to fill in gaps easily and is very easy to work with.
Alpha Chaos 13 ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jawa wrote:
Sounds like a pretty easy fix. What I did to add stability and still keep the flexibility of latex is to use green foam (upholstery foam). it can be cut to fill in gaps easily and is very easy to work with.

I thought so too. Do you think the liquid latex will hold the foam in place?
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha Chaos 13 wrote:
Jawa wrote:

I thought so too. Do you think the liquid latex will hold the foam in place?

Absolutely. If you are a little iffy on it you could use just a touch of hot glue to hold it in place until the liquid latex dries.
Alpha Chaos 13 ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, thanks Jawa! And let me know when you get that Noghri done. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: