Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8b277308456060b714f012e16357af4fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

MC landspeeder build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some exciting news .. and some well.. exciting, but not as exciting news.

Good news:

I got my hands on an original radio:

I made some new discoveries and confirmed a couple theories.

Remember this part (the relay) that I replicated on the engine pod?

Check it out... it's in the radio:

I found a couple other parts in there too that I think are on other props / costumes but I need to do some dissecting or find another radio that I feel o.k. with dissecting. Yeah, I need to find a different model anyway...read on.

I found pictures of a radio online last year and I had theories that some of the parts were on the speeder but I couldn't confirm it until I got a radio to look at. Now that I have this one I am convinced these parts are on the speeder as shown here. The original radio in this shot is of the one I found online, not the one I have.

Here you can see the differences. The radio on the bottom is the one that I have:

So I guess I'm still on the hunt for another one of these, or parts from one. This one that I have will be a display / conversation piece to accompany the speeder.

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
D-3po ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, this is incredible.
More! Surprised
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha.. thank you !! Smile

Hurray... more progress Very Happy

Remember where I left off on the back panels last time:

I had to bend over the pins on the sockets in order to glue them to the board:

Apply some goop glue to the bottom of the sockets:

Begin the long daunting process of gluing them all down:

Since I couldn't find enough vintage 14 pin IC sockets I used modern sockets wherever their is a vintage 14 pin IC quad. Well, the newer sockets are smaller so the quads overhang a little bit. Since I needed to vacuum form this I couldn't have the plastic wrapping around the ends of the quads and locking to the master tool. To alleviate this problem I added some draft to those problem areas by applying lightweight spackling:

Ugh... talk about daunting! This part was no fun.

But I pushed forward:

Next I needed to add some disc capacitors so I mapped out their locations and drilled some small holes for them:

Once again with the Goop glue Smile

Finished, ready for some spray release and vacuum forming:

Bam! Fresh off the vacuum forming machine:

I was worried about locking issues but it worked great. With a little wiggling and prying and it came right off.

Next I cut them to fit inside the wood frames:

Next I added some extra damage to the radio parts to match the ones on the original speeder. I am missing a couple pieces that I'm waiting on my airplane guy to send me.:

I can't bring myself to do the (let's say "rushed") job that the original prop builders did because in person it would have not looked very nice so I opted for a little cleaner application.

Next was to go back to the original paint colors (after sanding ..bleh) and paint the wood frames:

Base "pink" color:

Mist with some flat white primer:

Some light sanding with a sanding sponge to dull the color:

Adding the red color where the stripe is on the back:

They are starting to look like something:

Remember, I'm replicating the speeder as it looked in 1976, not as it is today in the exhibit because LFL kinda "ruined" it Wink

until next time ....

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something new for the speeder Smile

It's a 10' x 20' vinyl banner. Thanks Jim!

I plan to build a modular framed wall that comes apart for transport, that we can snap the banner too on the top and bottom, with velcro on the sides.

Unfortunately it had to be shipped folded so it has creases. Upon its arrival we immediately went to a church today, to use their lobby, flattened it out, and rolled it up on a pvc pipe. I'm thinking about laying it out on a black asphalt parking lot one day when it's warm and see if that helps. Or we can build the wall, snap it to it, and let it sit out in the sun.

Next I want to come up with a floor that is "sandy". I might have to use the same paneling that we use for the palace set or see if it's possible to get carpet tiles in a low nap, industrial, sandy color. I also am thinking about building a moisture vaporator to set off to the left side. Time to play with some more foam! Very Happy

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received some more parts from my airplane guy Smile :

The following part will have to be cut off, flipped over, and have the knobs re-attached to the back side (which will become the front side):

I am working on getting / building the rest of the parts. Some are to be 3D printed. Some have to be scratch built. Once I have more I can start building the panels and finish up each area.

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts are being printed Smile

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am still waiting on some parts for the speeder I decided to work on the backdrop Very Happy

Here I am putting the wall panels together, similar to how we have done most of our sets:

In order to put the snaps in their location and put a little stretch on the banner we had to bolt the panels together and lay it down. Here the banner is snapped to the panels:

The banner ended up being a little smaller than what we had ordered so it was too small for the wall. I will need to cut the panels down and re-build a part of it so the snaps can be safely and permanently attached to the top and bottom plates for storage and transport.

We debuted the new backdrop at the FoCo Comic and Gaming Festival in Fort Collins, Colorado on April 19th, 2014.

Slowly but surely Smile ... the set is getting there. The speeder still needs some work and we are also thinking of making a floor that is similar to the flooring we use for our Jabba's Palace set, that we will paint to blend into the sandy color in the photo.

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been slowly making progress on my "display" steering yoke.

I found a airplane yoke that was pretty close to the right shape.

I figured it was close enough so I went with it.

I had to cut out the center support bar and then bend the outer tubes:

I fabricated the center cover from leftovers from around the shop (A door bumper, a cap for an At-At driver chestbox, and a cup from the Dengar pack):

Next I welded a piece of square stock to a sleeve so it would fit into the steering column and also set into the yoke with set screws:

Paint the center cover:

Voila. Nearly done with the display yoke:

Here it is turned upside down and compared to the original. I don't have my replica 100% right but I think it'll do:

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On May the 4th weekend we set up our landspeeder display with our new vinyl backdrop at the Denver Mini Maker Faire.

While there I was able to get some new photos with some decent lighting. It was still mostly artificial light so the true colors didn't come out entirely but it was the closest yet that we've had the lighting, to showing its true color.

Here is a photo from the event:

Using my limited photoshop abilities I painted in some sand and stole the shadow from this "other" photo Wink :

I still have a fair amount of work that I want to do but it is getting there.

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k... back to work! Very Happy

I'm working on the panels on the back of the speeder.

My friend Josh 3D modeled these parts for me and my friend Devin printed them with his SLA 3D printer:

Here are a few other parts that we started 3D printing too... for the front of the speeder, full scale mouse droid kits .. oh yeah and E-11's too Wink

I needed to cut out the holes to fit these perforated pieces so I laid them on, traced the inside of the outside edge and then cut out the holes with an exacto knife:

All cut out and ready for gluing. Prep the areas to be glued by sanding with a sanding sponge and clean with rubbing alcohol.

Use CA glue and accelerator to glue the parts on:

All the screens glued on:

Now it's time to make some rust.

Prime the areas where the rust is to be, using the primer provided with the patina materials:

I used an airbrush to apply the primer both to the back and the front of the panels, making sure to get it inside the screens as best as possible:

Both front and back:

Now it's time to put on the metal layer of the patina materials.

It is paint but it has iron in it so it really is a bear to airbrush. It took a long time, fighting the clogs. I even watered it down a little bit. Yes, it's water based. Be sure to cover the front, back, and inside the screens really well.:

After applying the iron paint layer and allowing it to dry over night it is now time to apply the patina chemical so it will react with the metal paint and create some rust:

I sprayed it on fairly liberally on the back, to make sure it went into the screens:

I used a small chip brush to help make sure I was getting the chemical into the little holes:

I started with the back and then moved to the front:

Then, I let it sit, soak, and evaporate overnight:

The next day:

This is the back side:

This is the front:

Next I wanted to apply my first layer of weathering to the rest of the panel so I placed a piece of paper over my rusted area and misted the outer edges with dark gray primer:

Next I applied my second layer of weathering by putting on some acrylic paint. I mixed some brown and black to get a color that wasn't jet black and has a sort of grimy black color:

After creating the "chipped off" paint affect I rubbed the gray primer off the high points with my palm and thumb to help blend the acrylic color and leave a sort of dusty gray color on the low spots of the outer panel:

One of the radio pieces has some rusty looking corrosion so I decided to use the same process to create rust with this piece. I started with the primer:

Next I put the iron paint layer on, directly over my primed areas:

Let the iron paint cure overnight.

Next it was time to spray on the rust activator:

Allow it to sit overnight. Although, it started to corrode nicely after about 6 hours:

I already mounted the wood frames to the back of the speeder and I think I forgot to take photos. Anyway, now I'm ready to put everything else on the back and finish the weathering in place.

until next time ...

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...still going....

I fastened the wood frames to the back of the speeder by holding them in place and marking the inside edge of the frame where I wanted the screws. I then pulled the frame off and drilled corresponding holes in the body and in the back of the frame. Then I used drywall screws coming from the inside of the speeder to fasten the frames:

Next I prepped the vacuum formed pieces for double sided tape, to help hold them in place where there isn't a mechanical fastener.

Lightly sand the area where the tape will go:

Next I cleaned the areas where the tape will go with rubbing alcohol:

Using a heavy duty, industrial, double sided tape, I cut pieces of the double stick tape and applied them one at a time:

Stick the vacuum formed pieces to the body:

I happened to have some old, rusty, grimy screws for these two spots that look very similar to the originals:

I attached the radio part using 4 screws with nylon lock nuts on the back side (inside of the body):

Next it was time to weather the frames. I started by lightly sanding them with a sanding sponge:

Then I added some dings, scrapes, and chips with an exacto knife:

Time for a grimy wash. I mixed dark brown and black acrylic paints:

I added just a little bit of water so it was a slightly runny:

Start by putting paint in the cracks and inside corners with a brush:

Next I barely wet a paper towel with water, scrunch it up so it absorbs the water, and then dip it in the paint. Dab and wipe the paint on the surface:

Allow the paint to dry for a couple of minutes. Then gently dampen another paper towel with water:

Give the surface a light, overall wash while leaving an even "grime" and paint in the cracks and corners:

Next I will apply a wash with tan acrylic on the radio part and vacuum formed panels. Then I will add some of our real dirt concoction to the whole area before sealing it with a clear coat.

... after these messages...

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man it's been a while since I've worked on this thing Smile

We were busy prepping for a new baby though, which our baby girl joined the world on August 26th. Holy cow being a new parent is a challenge. Of course parents already know that but this is new to us!

I guess we've added one thing to / for the speeder and that was carpet.

I want to paint and weather the carpet so it blends better with the sand in the photo but I don't know when that'll happen. Right now it's just getting darker with folks walking on it.

When folks take photos on our set there are two things that are semi-entertaining. One, when folks hand us their phones in "selfie" mode, they get a fun pic of one of us with our tongue sticking out Razz

The other thing is with regard to flash. A small percentage of folks insist on using a flash so I made this to show why it's not a good idea:

Sam Witwer and Sam Huntington stopped by at the Albuquerque Comic Expo to take a ride in the speeder:

Sam Witwer came by again with Chloe Dykstra at Salt Lake Comic Con:

I do hope to actually get back to work on it here one of these days though. There is still more to do! Very Happy

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our way back from El Paso we stopped off on Tatooine.

...who knew it was so close? Wink

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another shot:

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the sandtroopers are still trying to figure out what droid they're looking for.

Psst. Hey. Trooper. Between you and me, it might not work if you ask the droid. Just sayin'...

Hey look... BANTHAS!!

Last edited by MonCal () on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: