Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1880a19e6d684b11695b5e6eefa737ccMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

MC landspeeder build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-3po ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicked cool!

I know a certain Protocol droid that wouldn't mind a ride...
;-)
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly an amazing work of art. I am so very looking forward to seeing the next installment of images. Its like reading a good book Very Happy

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
vt357 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread very closely. AMAZING work. It so makes me want to build one... but also gives me the perspective to not bite off more than I could chew because my wife would KILL ME! Laughing
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys..very much! I appreciate it.

It is absolutely a HUGE project. Even where I am at with it now, it is still very daunting.

I am finally to a point where I'm "having fun" .. so to speak because I'm beginning to design (discover) and put on the accessories. I hope I'm done with fiberglass..bondo...sanding.. etc. Bleh.. Wink Well, I will need to cut the left engine pod open but that won't be too bad plus making that engine should be fun. I will also have to build the console but hopefully that won't be terrible.

Right now I have to remove the brake pedal and put in a hand break. Kathy and I finally put the body on this evening and sat in it. She, being 5'1", couldn't properly align herself with the brake pedal. I can put an extension on the side of the throttle for me and put in an E-Brake handle. The good thing is, since I still have to design the console I think I can utilize the "gear shift lever" to be a brake lever.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally Awesome!

Former BSN Admid.
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!! Smile Kathy and I appreciate it very much.

Here is a shot of how meticulous we (I) have been .. Wink

I wanted to create the layered look around the paint chips so I tried to scrape the darker "red" color away, just at the edge in random spots to allow the "pink" layer to show through:

Finally.. the engine pods in their full glory:

At first I found it tough to bring myself to do this but after I got going, it ended up being fun. It was weird doing a crummy job with the caulking:

While I had the caulking gun out I decided to make some new reinforcement blocks for the grill:

Now... with dropping the chassis and with the way the floor pan currently is, the clearance is about 2 1/2" in the front (I plan to remove that pan and completely re-configure the throttle and brake assemblies) ... so I needed to extend the ramp for the trailer.

I bought a ATV ramp on Craigslist and built this box to allow an extension on the ramp:

Kathy, working on the weathering:

I decided to create a "steering wheel" that is practical while driving. It's more like a trailer jack handle but it's kinda fun with the suicide knob:

Also, it was just impossible to work the brake with our feet so I canibalized the brake pedal mechanism and turned it into a hand brake. This is temporary as I plan to remove the angled floor pan and also create a mechanism within the console of the body (which I still have to build) that engages with the shifter so the brake can be controlled by hand:

I also had to put an extension on the throttle so I and anyone else taller than Kathy could drive it. Like the bike pedal? Wink

It's first "real" marriage with the chassis:

This thing is getting heavier each time I lift the body on and off of the chassis... I guess we should stop adding layers of paint Wink hehe..

Now that I've had a successful fitting of the body on the chassis it was time to create the body mounts.... I know ... it would have been best to do this early on, before painting but I just didn't have the option.

Here I am scribing a 2x6 to fit the contour of the body:

This is where it will rest on the chassis:

Eeek... drilling holes up through the paint job Wink

Remember the tricks I mentioned way back in the beginning of the thread?:

I mixed up my famous "butter coat" with polyester resin, glass, and thickener to create a "glue" / filler to bond the 2x6 to the body:

I later added some fiberglass around the board to add extra bonding and support with the body.

Getting the screw holes ready for patching:

I had to get a shot of Kathy putting some more weathering on. Here she is working with some fullers earth in the beginning stages of adding some "tatooine sand" deposits:

Here is the rear body mount, mounted in place (prior to adding more glass):

Preparing to fill the screw holes. sand and taper the holes:

Clean with mineral spirits:

Bondo:

My recipe for controlling paint spray Wink .. I know.. it's just a box with a hole in it:

Primer:

"Pink" layer:

Tomorrow morning I will mist it with white and blend it and Kathy will blend the weathering in and hopefully make it all look right Wink

Oh.. I cut a hole in the instrument panel portion of the console so we can run the brake lever for now. It's temporary so y'all can relax Wink I will fix this later when I build the console and move the brake control to be part of the "shifter" mechanism:

Here she is splattering on the silver:

More to come ... Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some more progress to share Very Happy

A cool shot of the front that Aaron snagged just after we set the body on the chassis, showing the silver splatter...yup... that's how the original is. I know.. it's weird. We are guessing womprats have silver blood.

Now I'm backtracking but oh well. I had to finish touching up where I put the screws for the body mounts so I came up with this fandangled system:

Since I needed to mist the "pink" layer with white primer from a distance, this was the best I could come up with, without having to mask off the entire speeder. It worked really well for about the first square foot:

Then all the paint started dripping out of the tube so I lost my momentum, worrying about paint drips and wiping out the tube. It still worked but wasn't the absolute best method.

Here Kathy and I are taking our first "cruise" ... from inside the garage outside onto the cement pad...what a cruise it was:

Its first time in the trailer:

That is nerve-wracking, let me tell you!! It only has a couple inches of clearance to the ramp cables on each side plus the ATV ramp extension is really strange to drive up and down. When we unloaded at the convention (wish I would have taken pics), one of the brake cable pulleys that I installed broke and I was rolling down the ramp with no brake control. I figured I was fine and I'd just roll down it. Yup.. I rolled down and off the side and high centered it on the ramp. It wasn't a huge deal. Put a jack under it, let the jack tip over and the tire regain traction and it rolled out just fine. I replaced the pulleys and brake cable but it's still weird and scary.

Its first time on display:

And the first completed TD out of our shop. Congrats Andrew!:

We then went to Albuquerque New Mexico for a wedding. We had a request to bring our R2-D2 to be their ring bearer:

On the way back, during the 8 hour drive, we grabbed some nice red, powdery dirt from New Mexico to use for weathering on the speeder Very Happy

We mixed it with the tan and gray fullers earth that we already had. To get the red dirt to break up and become more powdery we put it in a ziploc bag and smashed it with a sand filled mallet.

The ziploc bag at the bottom has our desired color mixture:

It's hard to see but I did some tests here:

Here is the process, which I might play around with on our sandtrooper backpacks!:

Take some matte finish clear coat:

Grow two female arms and spray it into a cup ... just kidding.. you don't need female arms:

Brush on the desired amount of clear coat:

Then sprinkle, dab, or lightly apply the dirt with a empty bottle by putting some in the bottle and lightly squeezing it to create a dust cloud:

Now you have some natural looking dirt accumulation:

You can add more clumps by putting more of the clear coat. The dirt will absorb it and create built up areas. You can also rub off the dirt to create a lighter dusted area. I also tested hitting the dirt with clearcoat after applied and it works great, adding more strength to it. I will do this to the speeder once we are finished with the weathering to lock everything in and so I won't have to worry about the weathering rubbing off or getting wet outside.

Kathy used the same process in all the cracks and grooves on the body.

Applying some clear coat:

Dusting with dirt:

This is the bottle that we sometimes put dirt into to "poof" the dust onto the surface. Here however, she is using it just to lightly blow off the excess dirt and move it onto the exposed clear coat for lighter, dusted areas:

In the smaller cracks, she dipped a toothpick into the cup and lightly put clear coat into the small cracks before dusting.

Applying dirt to the front dent:

Dusting is finished:

We still need to apply it to the grill and various places around the engine pods.

While she was doing the dusting I decided to tackle the headrest:

I scaled up a photo of the original and printed it out:

Cutting out the main shape:

The rough shape is started for the back half of the headrest:

The front is almost there too. Now I need to do a ton of shaping by hand with sanders, files, bondo, etc. I plan to vacuum form the headrest and wrap it with vinyl.

Until next time Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot one Wink

It's just roughed in right now. I have a bunch of shaping to do.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks amazing, I always wanted to see if you could have a road legel landspeeder that actually drove.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words!

I've wondered that too. Even if you could shoulder it and put a slow moving vehicle triangle on the back perhaps with flashers or something... at least to get a person up the street to say... Sonic (there is one up the road from me Wink )
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress.. and it's 11:38.. as I type it... so it will be later when I finish Wink

We decided the "carbon build up" on the rear fin and engine pods was a little heavy so Kathy is scrubbing away and beginning to "lighten" it:

Adding some dirt to more of the cracks and corners:

Kathy is using the same process on the grill (adding dirt):

She has the first section almost finished up here. It's looking good:

I spent some more time on the headrest. Yay MDF dust Wink :

And yay... more bondo Wink :

Almost there:

Finally... cut in half and ready for the vacuum forming table:

They came out perfectly. Fresh off the machine:

I made a reinforcement out of 3/4" plywood for each half. Test fitting them to the vacuum formed pieces. Oddly enough... they fit perfectly:

Time to glue and nail the boards in place:

And now... wrapping them with vinyl:

The back half is ready for assembly:

In the meantime I laminated some MDF together to form the vacuum forming tools for the dash boxes:

... until next time Very Happy

thanks for watching.
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime I check in and look at this thread I am amazed with the detail, that has been put into this build. Smile

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tim! Smile

Here are some more progress photos, from before we made our little convention circuit.

Here the bulk of the vinyl is applied to both the front and back halves of the headrest:

Here I am drilling some holes in the vacuum formed ABS portion so that I can screw the two pieces of plywood together:

Here the middle section of vinyl is applied:

Here I am screwing the two halves together:

Here I am marking where I want to put the all-thread, between the screws:

Now I am getting ready to re-stretch and fasten the vinyl:

Fastened and trimmed:

Here I am drilling a hole to thread the all-thread into. This is the pilot hole and I followed that with a larger bit:

Prepping the all-thread by locking two nuts together so that I can thread the all-thread into the holes:

Drilling holes for the all-thread to fit into:

And the speeder has a headrest Smile hurray ..

Yes I was doing these final touches in the trailer as we were loading up for the trip Smile

At the Albuquerque Comic Expo:

It was mildly entertaining watching people stand right here and either ask if it was the original speeder, if it was "real", or if it was a replica Wink

I don't know how soon I will make more progress as we have a lot of other things to do but I will try Smile ..until next time ...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurray... some more progress Very Happy

A while back I posted a boring pic of some laminated MDF:

This was for the dash boxes (not sure what else to call them). I thought I was going to make some progress at my friend Will's shop when we were in Albuquerque for the Comic Expo but it didn't work out.

This weekend I finally took some "me time" and I was able to finish shaping them:

Here they are, vacuum formed, trimmed, and ready to be glued:

Here I have glued the two halves together and am gluing in a back plate for the front panel:

I put velcro tabs on the front panel and on the backer plate:

Here I have cut some 2" ABS to length, with an angle on the top. I then filled them with resin and drilled a hole for a 1/4" carriage bolt:

Test fitting with the box:

Figuring out the location and drilling holes in the dash:

Here I put some "goop" glue in the center of the piece and a few dabs of C/A glue on the edges to hold it together so I could handle it:

Mounting it to the dash with the carriage bolt pushed up from underneath:

I used a nylon lock nut to secure it in place:

Put the front panel on and voila...one box mounted:

Both boxes in place:

Now to work on the "hood ornament"

Here I made a form, using ABS, to get the rough shape:

It's tough to see but I even put the curve in the back:

Spray in some mold release and fill it up with resin:

Fresh out of the mold. It's two colors cause I ran out of one of my resin types and the other was old so it was starting to turn amber colored.

And.. of course I made a mistake and misread my measurements and made the box too big so I had to do a lot of hand shaping with a dremel and a sanding block..oh well.

Here I am gluing on a 1/8" strip of .04" styrene to get the detail band:

The master is finished:

Here you can see the curve in the back a little better:

I made a mold of the part so I would be able to make a replacement, if ever necessary:

Painted and ready for action:

To make the standoff I used a piece of brass tubing:

I wish I would have thought of all this prior to painting.. but eh.. it still worked.
I heated the tube up with a torch and pressed it into the resin:

I then filled the tube up with resin:

Here I am drilling a hole so that I can insert a hanger bolt:

Because I knew the bond between the resin in the tube and the body of the part wasn't going to be that strong I drilled another hole that was larger than the hanger bolt. I only wanted this hole to go as deep as the standoff so here I am adjusting the drill press so the bit only goes in that far:

Ready to install the hanger bolt:

Here I locked two nuts together on the bolt so its easier to thread it into the resin:

Threaded and nuts removed:

My best guess for the detail on the standoff... is gaffer tape. I'm pretty sure that's what it is so that's what I'm doing. I started off with a wide strip of tape and then added thinner strips as I went:

And bolted the speeder:

Now Kathy can finish up the weathering and we can get a coat of sealer on this bad boy so we don't have to worry quite so much about the elements.

I'm not sure what I'm going to work on next. I should probably do some of the less fun stuff, like hacking at the floorpan and re-configuring the brake and throttle pedals so I have more ground clearance.

...until next time Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a lot but it's still progress Smile

Back to the dash boxes. Those things were just to shiny so I dirtied them up.

Start by spraying an area with clear coat:

Dab on our dirt concoction:

Rub around and blow off the excess:

Back in place with a nice dusty dirt accumulation:

Next, to put some weathering on and around the "hood ornament":

Kathy pointed out that there should be these strange white stains on the hood.. so she's putting those on here:

It looks odd here cause some of the hood is still dusty and the fresh spots are wet. They'll blend more as we go along.

As far as we can tell there should be a couple of orange / greenish stains on this side so here we have cut out some stencils with some left over vinyl decal material:

And, doing some more tests on the ever growing test pallet:

Applying the stain:

Blending, "griming", etc.:

Tomorrow I'll put a good coat of sealer on it so we don't have to worry so much about the elements. We will still have some more weathering to do around the greeblies nad such but that will have to wait.

Tuesday (After taking it to a local 501st troop / kids day) I plan to take the body off and prepare to re-configure the floor pan and pedals next weekend.

.....after these messages...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: