About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=99aa49337fa5addf98645b6a2608afd1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

MC landspeeder build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha... right?! Wink

Hey, hovercar technology should be just around the corner if Doc Brown was traveling around in our universe

Masking tape removed:

The vinyl decal material worked PERFECTLY. It peeled off without any problems. The trick is to use a good heavy vinyl!

I cut out the seat foam panels for Kathy to start on the seats:

I finished peeling off all the decals:

Notice the ones in the cockpit too:

I don't really have time to do all the weathering for this parade coming up but I thought I'd start it and get a feel for the process. Here I have lightly sanded the "pink" and red layers and am chipping / scraping off the red so the pink shows through around the edges of the chips:

I didn't get every scratch in the exact location but I think I can live with it (the printed photo I'm holding is a photo of the original speeder) Wink :

This will still need a bunch more weathering but for a "quick" start it is working out really well.

I still had to cut the little slits in the vents on the engine pods so I made a guide to run a dremel along:

We had a break in between snow storms so I was able to do some painting outside.

Primer:

Pink:

Mounted on the body so I could map out the striping and do some more masking:

Red:

Back on the body (I painted the left engine pod for now until I have time to cut the top off and make the exposed engine):

To start on the grill. I cut some strips off a sheet of ABS plastic:

I made some paper stencils of the front end of the right grill area and cut the end of the ABS plastic to match:

I temporarily screwed the ABS in place so I could properly get it in the right spot in order to cut the curve on the other end of the sheet:

A couple screws to make sure it's flowing tightly against the body:

Here I needed to figure out where the other end was going to be so I could trace my stencil:

Tracing the stencil:

ABS sheet basically finished:

The grill slats will fasten to this piece of ABS (which gets painted silver) and then it screws to the body to hold the grill slats in place... that's tomorrow's task Smile

Until next time..... this is starting to feel like an old timey weekly serial show Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next step was to cut the slats for the grill out of a sheet of 3/8" plywood and also map out the location for each slat on the ABS plastic backer piece.... yes... plywood Wink that's what they used on the original speeder...

I picked an arbitrary location in the middle of the ABS as a reference point. I then marked the same reference point on the plywood slats so I could put them in the correct location and get the curve right.:

The slats for the right side:

This is my alignment mark, which is also referenced on the ABS plastic backer piece:

Kathy was able to get the seats sewn last weekend for me. They still need to be stretched and attached to the backer board:

Next I figured out where the vertical bars go, drilled my pattern, and then transferred that to each of the slats:

I used 3/8" solid aluminum rod for the vertical tubes, instead of carved wood dowels, which is what I believe the original speeder has.

This was one of my "head scratcher" moments. I wasn't sure if I could assemble the whole thing and then paint it after assembly. I wanted to be able to glue the parts together and pre-painting / masking the parts would have been a real pain in the rear so I did a super fast test with my silver paint to see if it would get in between the slats... and it seemed to work just fine:

I then cut a bunch of spacers to go in between the slats during the assembly process:

After cutting each of the slats, individually, to match the curves at each end I began the assembly process:

Testing the alignment of the ABS backer piece, with the final grill assembly:

And, testing it on the speeder, before finishing the assembly:

Next I drilled and tapped the ends of the aluminum rod so I could screw the slats together as a singular assembly, prior to gluing on the ABS backer:

Showing the screw in the top slat, going into the aluminum dowel:

I put two coats of contact cement on the edges of the plywood slats:

And one coat on the ABS backer piece:

I cut some strips of cardboard to stand in between the ABS and the plywood so the contact cement wouldn't make contact until I was ready for it and I started adhering the two surfaces at the back end and worked forward, pulling out the cardboard strips as I went:

I then used a laminate roller to put pressure on the two pieces to get the best adhesion as possible:

Then I put nails in the backside, into the slats, to help make sure there is a good bond:

Following what I assume to be the basic process they used on the original speeder I cut out the holes in the grill:

Again, copying what I am guessing to be the method they used on the original I screwed the ABS backer piece directly to the body using drywall screws:

Instead of putting screws in random places, like on the original, I at least chose a basic, arranged location for all of the screws:

These are actually temporary... or are they??? I believe this is what they did on the original speeder too. I needed a solid backer to screw into so after putting the screws in I just held a block of wood on the back of the screw and spun it with the drill, pulling the block of wood down onto the screw and tightening up the screws:

Right grill fastened to the speeder:

I've already filled the plywood and made more progress on the rest of the speeder but I'm running out of photo editing time Wink

So.. who remembers this from Saturday morning cartoons?

... "After these messages.... we'll be rriighhht back"....

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay... more progress Very Happy

A friend caught a candid shot of me cutting the end of one of the grill slats:

They had to be cut individually with a complex angle on the end of each one.

After building, spackling, and mounting the grill on the "passenger" side:

Thanks Lynelle for helping prep the grill parts for paint Smile

I needed some flat black in the areas of the grill where it's cut out:

After painting and re-mounting the grill I decided to take on the windshield. I put some masking tape on it to help me figure out where and how to cut it.

Next I overlaid a photo of the original speeder to get an idea of what the windshield needed:

Obviously it is too tall and not quite the right angle so I started by removing 4" from the back of the windshield, on the bottom:

That got it closer... but no cigar:

So I cut it again:

... and again...

Then I figured out the opening and laid that out to be cut:

In the meantime I had to create some more notes for my father in law so he could finish up the chassis:

And after making the 4 hour drive to pick up the chassis:

He was worried about how well the chassis will marry to the body so he left several things with extra room for adjustment, like the steering wheel. I'll have to cut a fair amount off of the shaft... and make an accurate steering wheel "yoke" at some point.

... until next time Very Happy
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... this is really fantastic. Cool

Echo Base - Binghamton, NY
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much David! Smile

Now... the steering column currently needs to be cut back about 6" so... yeah.. it's in my belly at the moment Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-KwIDcYN-c&list=HL1365569834&feature=mh_lolz

Canadian Base XO
Canadian Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Landspeeder is looking amazing, Cal!
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you TJ!

So.. when we went up to Steamboat to pick up the chassis, Kathy and her mom were worried it wouldn't fit in the back of the suburban..... I wasn't worried Wink

It's like our own little escape pod.

I had to cut out holes for the tires, which I expected:

Then began the task of formally introducing the chassis to the body:

So, we need to revisit the frame. It shouldn't be a huge deal to lower everything down.

I had to test how the 3po legs will fit.

I think it will be o.k. although if we're doing some work to the frame I may try to create a little more room.
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying the progress of this build I cannot wait to see the finished prop. Or maybe another video Smile

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
samsw ()
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Vos wrote:
Or maybe another video Smile
x2

This is amazing Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! Smile

Videos?? Seriously? I'm just a silly dork riding around on a wierd golf cart Wink

O.k. ... I do actually want to drive this thing up to Sonic, just up the street, one of these days. Perhaps a candid video will take place. ... muhahahaha....snort...
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonCal wrote:
I'm just a silly dork riding around on a wierd golf cart Wink

Hell Yeah!!

But your golf cart is a frikkin LANDSPEEDER Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this build is just insane! Shocked Simply amazing. I hope you posted a thread over at RPF as well. Thanks for sharing

MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Smile

Yay... some more progress Very Happy

In this shot we have already lowered the rear end by removing the shocks, cutting some snowmobile tie rods to fit in their place, and heating and bending the tubing the axle is mounted to. Here my father in law is welding the new battery tray:

Here I am cutting the front end off with a sawzall:

After removing the front end:

After adding a extension on the front frame, welding it back on:

Chopped and lowered:

I put the vinyl on the seat boards. Now I need to velcro them in place ( I hope that will hold o.k.):

Beginning to make the cowlings for the engine pods:

Shaping the master tool for the front cowling:

I laminated some MDF together to be turned on a wood lathe for the rear cowling and rear cone "jacket:

Front cowling ready for rubber:

Turning the vacuum forming tool for the cone "jacket":

The master tool for the rear cowling is ready:

The first set cast up in polyester resin and fiberglass:

Fresh out of the molds:

The first vacuum formed pull of the rear cone "jacket":

Cutting out the "jacket":

All cut out and placed together to confirm the profile:

Figuring out where to cut out the openings:

All the cowlings, cones, and jackets ready for final sanding, attachment, and paint:

We needed to add some "red-ish" stains on the hood:

Finished sanding and scraping the base colors:

Beginning the weathering with the base "grime" coat:

Even though the speeder, as it is today, isn't 100% the same as it originally was, the bulk of the weathering appears to be original... so we're confirming the intensity of the dark areas here:

The best I can figure it, (in the star wars universe) most of the paint chips and the front dent happened after the speeder got all grimy and dirty so there isn't as much dark color in the dent. Here I am removing some of the pink layer after the first application of dark color:

Kathy puts some more base, dark color back in the dent:

Here she is airbrushing a light layer of gray over certain areas, to replicate what we see on the original speeder:

Here she is starting the base, grime color on the passenger side:

Here I am rubbing some dry powder paint into the gray color she just put on to help "grime" it up a bit:

It's really starting to look like the landspeeder now:

I can't explain the logic, if there is any, to the original weathering including the heavy splattering of silver that we still have to apply to the front end..but that will come soon.

I'm sure some of you are thinking it..."you're using water based paints. they'll just wash right off" . We'll put a clear coat on everything once we're happy with the bulk of the weathering. After that we'll use a clear coat by applying it in small amounts and dusting it with sandy colored fuller's earth to pack some "sand" into the cracks and crevices.

Until next time Smile ....
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I say Shocked bow

MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Shane!! Smile

Next I decided to replicate the little holes and bumps on the flange of the rear cone jackets.

Here is a photo of the original part. I am pointing at the little bump with the pencil:

I set the drill press so it would drill about 2/3 the way through the flange:

Then I flattened the bottom of the holes with a dremel:

Then I heated up a punch that was the same size as the hole:

Then gently push the punch into the hole and allow the heat to conduct through the plastic until it began to bulge, slowly forming the bump:

Then I sanded the top of the bumps, flattening them out:

Next I drilled the holes, next to the bump, which I will later fill in with caulking.

I cut out the perforated metal for the front and rear cowlings. Notice the different hole size and pattern.

I hate to admit it but I actually cut a corner early on in this project. I should have done a better job of fitting the engine pods to the body. The right engine pod tilted down and it was really beginning to bug me. The curvature on the body forced the pod to tilt so it needed some shimming.

Here I loosened up the bolts and placed a bar clamp under the pod (after wrapping it with saran wrap) and braced the pod so it was tilted back up to a level position.

Next I packed a bondo, polyester resin, glass, and thickener mixture up into the crack to take the shape of the pod.

After removing the pod:

And touched up with paint:

Next I put the base color of paint on the cones and jackets:

Kathy and I decided a gunmetal color was the best and closest to what we were trying to replicate. It is tough to know for sure what the original color was since the pods that are on the original speeder today are not the same pods used throughout the bulk of the movie.

After making more paint chip vinyl stencils and applying them, I put a layer of "pink" paint and then a layer of "red" paint on the cowlings:

While paint was drying I put some velcro on the seat backs:

Next I set them out in the sun for 15 minutes to soften them up:

This worked like a charm. They were warm and pliable so they conformed to the cockpit perfectly.

Next I removed the vinyl paint chip stencils from the front cowlings:

After scraping around the edges of the chips and adding a little more base weathering I attached the cowlings to the engine pod body. For now I'm just using drywall screws to attach the front cowlings by accessing them with a long screwdriver, through the vent slots:

I fastened the rear cowlings with screws and nuts, by gluing the nuts in place on the back side, in case I ever have to reach in from the front and unscrew the cowling. This engine pod (on the left) will get the top cut off eventually for the exposed engine so I am glad I remembered to only put screws in the bottom half.

The rear cone / jacket assemblies glued and curing:

More to come! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: