About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=057494d6067f7f6b40f07cec077e4179Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

What kind of fabric to use for Leia's Endor pancho
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: What kind of fabric to use for Leia's Endor pancho Reply with quote

Hello, my friend and I are going to get started on an Endor Luke and Leia. He's obviously going to be Luke and me Leia lol, and he has the paint that is going to be used to paint the colors of our panchos. Meanwhile, I am responsible for making the panchos. The paint that my friend has is paint designed to paint fake flowers. Is there any kind of fabric that I can use that can tolerate the paint, maybe something similar to fake flower fabric? Thanks! Amadalia
UCGR Detachment CO
Legion Costume Judge
501st Legion member DZ-11177
https://www.facebook.com/liz.welsh.963

JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's made from cotton twill.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made both my Leia poncho and Matt Tolosa's Luke poncho out of a cotton twill fabric I ordered from DharmaTrading.com. If you are using the silk flower paint (by Design Masters, I believe?) then that stuff will work just fine Smile After I initially sprayed mine I was able to wash it to soften it, and it muted the colors a bit, so I sprayed and washed again. Just don't lay it on too thick at once or it will soak through, but otherwise it's fine. I recommend getting an adapter for your spray paint that will turn it into a trigger like a spray bottle (cheap at hardware store). I find it slightly easier on the hands, and if your finger gets in the way of the button it causes drips, so the adapter helps with that also Smile

Let me know if you need any poncho tips!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jaren Valnor (Ryan Miorelli)
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm the one painting the ponchos...yeah I'm using Design Master. Anyone have a complete color list for Luke and Leia? I've done a Rebel trooper so I have quite a variety of them.

Also, what about patterns? Is there a pattern out there that can be modified for this? Thanks!
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a side-by-side pic of the two that I made:

I'm sure the originals were painted by airbrush, and this was the best I could come up with with the colors that were available. It would have been nice to have a mid-range brown, but I don't believe DM makes one.

Here's what I (believe I) used in the Design Masters Colortool spray... it's been a long time since I'd done it:

Leia:
Ivory, Basil, Holiday Green, October Brown

Luke:
Ivory, Hunter Green, October Brown

I started with the darker colors since it was easier to spot a pattern, and don't be afraid to let the spray areas overlap.

As for pattern, you really don't need one. The poncho itself has two 6" wide strips on each side, and you should measure from the center of the neck to half-way down the forearm for half the width. For length, it should hit just below the knee in the back, and at/just past the crotch in the front. Your belt slits will go on the waist line. The hole for the hood needs to be large enough to fit over your head. The hood itself... let me draw a picture, it's hard to explain Laughing

-edit- Ok, take a look at this pic of Carrie:
The hood needs to be large enough to cover the head with the helmet on. That's how I drafted my pattern. There's a flat "donut" around the face, which is the part you see laying flat with the hood down, with the bulk of the hood underneath it. Here's my pattern, roughly... the lines around the hood opening would be smoother than this:

I'd have someone put on an endor helmet, take a large scrap of muslin and pin out a hood and go from there. The front of the hood will come around and connect to itself in the front (marked by a triangle. This should be wider than the donut width so you see the under fabric). The curve at the bottom will match to the poncho. If it's a little too large it's ok to gather it in, it won't be seen. The front opening of the hood has to match to the donut shape around the face. For mine, I used one layer of fabric for the hood so it would drape around the shoulders, and two layers (sewn like a facing at the opening) so I could spray both sides, and so it'd be stiffer when the hood was down.

Did that make sense? I can never tell if I'm clear or it only works in my head Shocked

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! Thanks Vera, that was really helpful! You're a lifesaver...that sketch you made a of the hood really helped me out. I drew some sketches myself, since the poncho must reach the mid thigh in the front and the back of the knee in the back, but I didn't know if the hood had to cover Leia's head without the helmet or with the helmet. That really helped me that you clarified that it is in fact WITH the helmet! Wink And now I know how to do the hood. Also, I like your picture Vera! Smile Amadalia
UCGR Detachment CO
Legion Costume Judge

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem, glad they helped Smile

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vera, do you mind me asking, how did you make your helmet? I really don't know how to make mine. Or if you bought it from someone who can make it, can you tell me how to contact them? Thanks! Smile
UCGR Detachment CO
Legion Costume Judge

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I bought it over 10 years ago from Richie's Armor. I've heard their quality has gone down since then, but I'd check with the Infantry, they'll know where you can get the helmets Smile

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Landeaux (Paul Land)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessLizFett wrote:
Hey Vera, do you mind me asking, how did you make your helmet? I really don't know how to make mine. Or if you bought it from someone who can make it, can you tell me how to contact them? Thanks! Smile

Droidwelder makes a great Endor helmet. Here's the thread.
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

You will need to make an AN-H-15 cloth helmet. Here's a thread for that
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28487
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I began a Leia poncho shortly before C6, then ran out of time. But in researching fabrics, I chose a lightweight poplin. The reason being that there seemed to be no evidence of a diagonal twill weave to the fabric in any of the high-res images I have found. With that in mind, I went with a straight weave. I wanted a durable fabric but something with a bit of fluidity and flow to it as well. Washed lightweight poplin fit the bill for me.

For the moment, the poncho has been set aside for other pressing things, but once my little one is born, I intend to carve out some time to finish it.

Costume Portfolio
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaYT1300 wrote:
I began a Leia poncho shortly before C6, then ran out of time. But in researching fabrics, I chose a lightweight poplin. The reason being that there seemed to be no evidence of a diagonal twill weave to the fabric in any of the high-res images I have found. With that in mind, I went with a straight weave. I wanted a durable fabric but something with a bit of fluidity and flow to it as well. Washed lightweight poplin fit the bill for me.

For the moment, the poncho has been set aside for other pressing things, but once my little one is born, I intend to carve out some time to finish it.

Oh, completely forgot to mention.... I chose a twill, but I used the reverse side where the twill weave wasn't evident Wink I just liked the weight of it.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot, I have some shots of my poncho that Vera made (front, side, back) that shows how it hangs, both with arms up and down, if that might help.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo

Last edited by JedHead (Matt Tolosa) on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictures are awesome, Matt! And helpful. I'm logging all this in my memory because I've got this Leia costume on my radar...still in the parts gathering phase.

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
...For mine, I used one layer of fabric for the hood so it would drape around the shoulders, and two layers (sewn like a facing at the opening) so I could spray both sides, and so it'd be stiffer when the hood was down.

Did that make sense? I can never tell if I'm clear or it only works in my head Shocked

So, are you saying you used one layer for the hood and two layers for the doughnut around the face?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: