About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=055941a54041078aca97367ddb054afcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

MC X-wing helmet, chest box, and other bits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: MC X-wing helmet, chest box, and other bits Reply with quote

Wow, it's been almost 2 years exactly since I finished the designs of this helmet... hard to believe how fast time goes by Smile

I thought since I haven't been that active on these boards in a long time I would post up some old progress pics.

This is my final "prototype" as it was two years ago Smile

I use .090 high gloss, virgin grade ABS so it's extremely durable and has a beautiful luster if you are going with a white version of the helmet... although you will most likely weather it anyway Wink Our molds are very smooth and "fluid" as I like to say making the helmet very smooth and even without any bumps or weird bobbles in the surface.

The helmet fits well, being ready to wear right out of the box ... so to speak Very Happy (minus your own personalized paint job)

I have an original Racal mini headset that I cast the mic tip from and replicated the mic that is installed in the helmet.

In the following photos I am just showing how the lens moves and re-positions:

The lens vacuum forms perfectly!! The material that we used for our vacuum forming mold or "buck" allows the clear plastic to come out crystal clear... no bubbles or weird stuff to look through. Of course the different angles on the lens are strange but that is normal. The main viewing area is excellent!

I designed the helmet to have an inner dome. It sits right up against the top of the inside of the helmet so you don't lose any height, it just creates a place for the lens mechanism to slide above your head and also give you a realistic inner helmet to make it ready to wear: The sliding lens mechanism works amazingly well. I have trooped in my costume several times over the past year and it still works great.

Here are some comparison pics of our helmet next to some screen captures of Dak. It's really tough to get the perfect camera angle and zoom but these are pretty close.

We have to do some tweaking to get the decal placement just right.

It's strange that the little ears on the "crown" piece are busted off or were trimmed off for Dak's helmet.

We have to tweak the pheonix decal design just a little. We are working on the decal designs for all the variations too.

I actually started this project in 2006 and then finally finished the prototype in 2010. I used an original APH-B flight helmet as the base along with a fiberglass deluxe Don Post helmet (that never went into circulation from what I understand). Then we had to do a lot of clean up to get it "just right". I had to have the metal oxygen mask clips for the mold CNC machined, based on the clips on the original flight helmet that I have.

I don't have a lot of progress shots from the early days but I do have a couple photos of the lens sculpt:

I hope to revisit the x-wing helmet project and work on designs for all the helmet variations so this thread is also a personal motivator for me ... as something fun to do Smile

Last edited by MonCal () on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:17 pm; edited 5 times in total
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my chest box too Smile

I think I started making these for folks in oh.. 2004 or 2005 maybe. Seems like forever Smile

I also designed a scaled down version for kids too Smile :

Now that we have our jumpsuits in it's weird to realize it but my wife and I can now make the whole kit n kaboodle Wink

Here is our comm pad we've been offering since 2004 or so.. so a lot of folks probably have this one Smile It is really easy to heat up with hot water and bend over a bottle or pipe to fit the curve of your arm. I include a paint reference sheet for all the variations (x-wing, at-st, scanning crew, tie pilot, navy trooper, etc.)

The following photo shows how I originally decided on my design, referencing an original comm pad on display:

Our Leg flare holder with Elvistrooper aluminum parts:

Our buckles:

We should have flak vests available soon and can also offer the aluminum data cylinders too.

Just pm us for details on everything Smile My wife Kathy will be the one responding to your messages.

I finally made a complete costume for myself last year. Now with the new jumpsuit it feels pretty awesome being able to create the whole thing... minus boots and gloves Wink

Me with my R2:

Now I gotta get some submission photos sent in and make this one "official" Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...your Helmet,box etc. looks very accurate!
roguehunter (Russell Hunter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have your own R2 unit? *jealous* Mr. Green
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done some really great work, no doubt about it. Smile

I should do an X-wing pilot one day, just to have one. That is if/when I can afford it. Heh heh.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ywingfighter wrote:
Wow...your Helmet,box etc. looks very accurate!

Thank you Frank! I tend to obsess over the details so I appreciate the kind words. It seems strange that we've been making them for so long. There should be quite a few folks with these somewhere out there Wink

roguehunter wrote:
You have your own R2 unit? *jealous*

Thanks Russell! That thing was a huge project. It took about 4 years of off and on work to finally get it running and I still have a laundry list of "to-do's" Smile

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
You've done some really great work, no doubt about it. Smile

I should do an X-wing pilot one day, just to have one. That is if/when I can afford it. Heh heh.

Thanks Alex!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made that from scratch?!?!? And it is remote controlled?! WTH do you do for a living? because you should look into a career in engineering if you're not one already just on that project!!! I am impressed!!!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russell, but I can't claim to have made it all from scratch myself.

I did build quite a bit of the droid myself but I have to thank members of the R2 builders club (astromech.net). A guy did a run of the aluminum domes. Another guy did a run of the aluminum skins. Electronics come from a few different sources in the club. I did some of the electronics although that isn't my strong point. I'm good at the fabrication and design.
Chinese Outpost XO
Chinese Outpost XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Moncal

really glad to know you stepped into rebel pilot zone.

how about vest? aviliable?????
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

Um... yeah we are offering the vest. I need to confirm if my seamstress will be available, per order, so if we get an inquiry I have to check with her to make sure she has an opening.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you by chance have the chance to speak with your seamstress about the flak vests?
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we haven't been able to meet up with her. I think the holiday season had us all running in different directions. We are still trying to do that and hopefully now that things are calming down we'll be able to Smile

thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent work, thanks for the photos, which used as a reference in my pilot project X - wing

Pilot
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem.

thank you Smile

If anyone is interested in anything just shoot us a pm.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: