About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a4fb66bb171e67cf65843dfed928f42eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Legion members in 501st - Do we need to keep track of

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Rebel Legion members in 501st - Do we need to keep track of Reply with quote

Ugh.. the title block cut me off.

The title is:

"Rebel Legion members in 501st - Do we need to keep track of our troops?"

I posted this on the MG (501st) boards initially but I think the question is relevant in both places Smile

I was going to PM this to Hugh directly but then I thought, I know at least 2 or 3 other people who might be in the same situation as me.

Many of us are dual members in the 501st and Rebel Legion. Most of our troops are Joint ops, meaning the trooping event (venue) welcomes costumes that are specific to either the Rebel Legion or 501st... IE X-wing pilots and Stormtroopers.

Many of us show up at a trooping event, choosing whatever costume we feel like wearing from our "arsenal" and we don't think anything more of it beyond wearing what we want to that day. I will often show up at a joint-ops event, that is posted on the MG (501st) boards, in a rebel costume so that I can run R2. Sometimes I am the only rebel at an event so who keeps track of my showing up at a Rebel Legion event?

My question is this. If we are more active on the MG / 501st boards than we are on the Rebel Legion boards but we do many trooping events that can be considered a Rebel Legion event, do we have to take it upon ourselves to check in with the command staff of the Mountain Base of the Rebel Legion to keep our trooping record up to date? Who do we contact? Is there a liaison who operates between the groups who could technically take on this responsibility?

I guess another question is, does it only count if you are wearing a submitted, approved RL costume or can you wear another rebel costume even if you are already an approved member with a different costume? IE: You are an approved member with a Rebel Fleet Trooper costume but you wear your new X-wing pilot costume to the event which you have not yet submitted for approval.

I am also posting this conversation here instead of going directly to Hugh because I am sure this is a valid point for the membership to read, recognize, and consider. Of course 501st only members or Rebel Legion only members won't need to know but this is for dual members.

How does this work and how should we proceed?

Please feel free to post in the thread on the MG (501st) boards too so that the folks over there can see the conversation as well.

thanks!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both clubs give the local leadership discretion in these matters. The rationale behind the active inactive status is that people who aren't participating/contributing to the group can't run for office, vote, buy swag, etc.
In my neck if the woods, "the group" is the local base and garrison combined as a single entity. All events are open to all members, all members may take the lead in an event, etc.
In my view, if one is attending events and contributing to the local group in an approved costume, I would day that person is active.
The charter and various by laws and protocols were written to serve the club and it's members, not the other way around. Marking someone inactive on a technicality doesn't make much sense from my perspective.

In the end it will be at the discretion of the base and garrison commanders.
Banzai (Hugh Coffman)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From our charter:

Article I: Membership Requirements
4. All members must meet the minimum activity requirements. Once Legion membership is granted, all members must meet the following criteria in order to have full member privileges and be considered on an active status.
a. Maintain a current email address on the Rebel Legion website and their current contact information with either their local Commanding Officer or other designated local membership representative.
b. Be accounted for in the annual census taken each January by the local Commanding Officer or designee. If a member has not been accounted for by April 1st after the census in January they will be moved to an inactive reserve status and their costume pictures moved to the members' inactive reserve picture area. These inactive reserve status and archive members may not vote in any Rebel Legion poll or election until their status has been changed back to that of an active full member.
c. Participate in at least one approved Rebel Legion event per calendar year. Examples include but are not limited to the following:
1. Appearing in approved Rebel Legion costume or apparel at a charity event, Lucasfilm Ltd. event, or LFL approved partner event.
2. Participating in Rebel Legion activities (table duty, group photo, parade, volunteering at a location) in RL approved costume or approved RL apparel at a convention NOTE: simply showing up at a con in costume will not count toward event participation.
3. Attending a Rebel Legion costume workshop.
4. Assist the Base in some activity that is approved by the CO.
d. Maintain current approved costume picture(s) on the Rebel Legion website.
e. *These Minimum Activity Requirements will be administered justly and taking into consideration that this is a hobby and that real life happens.*The Base Commanding Officer determines if a member is active even if they do not meet all Minimum Activity Requirements.

During the 2012 census, a general email was sent to all members to their stated email address. Those who responded to that email and completed the census had their response validated by me. If there were any questions, I PM’d them. Those who did not respond to the general email and/or census were then PM’d by me (if possible). I also posted about the census in our facebook page. I even contacted the two 501st garrisons we share our territory with and asked for their permission to create a thread about the RL census since some members are more active in their forums than ours. This increased our response with our DRG dual members. If a member still did not response to the census and I was aware of that person participating in an event, I validated their membership. If I was not able to confirm their participation in any event where the RL was invited to attend, they were placed in inactive status. This does not apply to any members who is serving overseas.

How I validate a member’s participation in an event. The RL event participation is based on a calendar year. I just check the event the member mentions in the MB forum, MG’s troop track and/or DRG’s forum. If I am unable to validate their participation, I PM the member. Also the costume worn during that event must be your approved RL costume (see C 2).

This process is simple but time consuming. So please maintain a current email address in your RL profile and make sure the event you list can be validated easily.

Other items you mentioned: Is there a liaison who operates between the groups who could technically take on this responsibility? This has been addressed and a couple of members in the MGCS are aware that this is something I would like to see. I even gave a name of a person I believe would do an excellent job. Please feel free to post in the thread on the MG (501st) boards too so that the folks over there can see the conversation as well. Not all MB members have applied for MG forum access (this includes the Cantina).

Cal, thanks for creating this thread instead of PM’ing me. Like you mentioned, this information should be for all MB members and I would have suggested we share my response.

The RL census is coming up so please review the top of this post.
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt and Hugh for your responses Smile

Based on what Matt has stated, we might be in a unique situation, comparing the MG / MB relationship to the rest of the Legion(s)?

I'm just spit-balling here so I can't say right now if this is a good idea... but would it be worth asking for a sticky thread topic or sub-forum on the Mountain Garrison forum where we could post if we trooped as a rebel?

It's an idea at least.

It might be a way to help the MB command keep track when census time rolls around? It might also help the job of a Liaison if one was appointed... or take the place of that duty in case a Liaison is not appointed.

Or.. we could just inform the members that they should post up on the Rebel Legion forums. It's funny to think of it this way but people really do find it exhausting to check in to multiple forums. I know at least one MG member who is a dual member who rarely takes the time to check into the MG forums, let alone the MB forums too..
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonCal wrote:
Thanks Matt and Hugh for your responses Smile

Based on what Matt has stated, we might be in a unique situation, comparing the MG / MB relationship to the rest of the Legion(s)?

I'm just spit-balling here so I can't say right now if this is a good idea... but would it be worth asking for a sticky thread topic or sub-forum on the Mountain Garrison forum where we could post if we trooped as a rebel?

It's an idea at least.

It might be a way to help the MB command keep track when census time rolls around? It might also help the job of a Liaison if one was appointed... or take the place of that duty in case a Liaison is not appointed.

Or.. we could just inform the members that they should post up on the Rebel Legion forums. It's funny to think of it this way but people really do find it exhausting to check in to multiple forums. I know at least one MG member who is a dual member who rarely takes the time to check into the MG forums, let alone the MB forums too..

As for your suggestion regarding the Mountain Garrison (MG), the suggestion should be addressed to MG.

With one of the RL membership requirements being to participate in one RL event per a calendar year, I believe every MB member should be able to remember an event in their approved RL costume and prove it if need be. There are many pictures out there from events so it should not be difficult to validate.

My experience from working on the 2012 census showed me members lost their active status because they were basically not active. Their profile was not up to date; no response to the PMs sent to them; after being contacted they still did not complete the census; and of course, they didn’t troop.

As for checking forums, working with several SW clubs and especially when you’re the POC is very exhausting. That is why more members should help out the few who are active in running the base. Balancing family, work and personal time is very difficult when so few members are actively helping out.

I hope I was able to give you additional feedback.
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Thanks Hugh!

This was just an idea I've been kicking around and thought it might merit some discussion Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: