About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a00235f8403876e0fc95ee8b44c1b318Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia's joining the Picnic (a.k.a Vera's Meadow Gown Build)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had worked I would have been in for it. I'm gathering supplies and I am really worried about how I'm going to find a suitable cape material.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a way to hand dye it only in certain areas...I don't know much about dying, but this fabric is ALMOST perfect...! Neutral

Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
I wonder if there is a way to hand dye it only in certain areas...I don't know much about dying, but this fabric is ALMOST perfect...! Neutral

Well... there's a way to NOT dye it in certain areas. It's called a wax resist dye; also known as batik - NOT to be confused with tie dye.
Here is a description how it's made.
However it may take a LONG time and careful placement of the wax to cover the vines with the wax. After that it should be easy to dye just the netting and not the embroideries, however.

Did you ask the seller about the fiber content?
Ember ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum’s old Janome sewing machine can do chain stitch, but I have yet to get it working properly (needs all sorts of tension adjustments). It involves a special foot attachment , and a bobbin casing replacement with a spiral groove running around it (pictured below). It also puts the chain on the underside of the fabric, so it would be very difficult to put the sequins in as you go.

I’ve just been doing chain stitching by hand. Time consuming, but it’s working Razz

A few pages back someone mentioned hair and arm ribbons.

My ribbon came from SilkRibbon.com
The 5 colours on the right are the ones I ordered 15 yard spools of after comparing all the swatches with costume photos (the colours look so much better in person!). I can track down the shade names if anyone’s interested.

Really should get back on track with this costume!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi, you know about the fibres so much! I hope you can say something about the tulle I've accidently found on this site:
http://nuriyetekstil.ru/?mode=product&product_id=231546403
This is the best picture, I think: http://nuriyetekstil.ru/d/68078/d/dscn0148_1.jpg
It is written that it's a curtain and that's it's tulle, nothing else. As it is originally a Turkish site, I'm not sure they name it right. So… what’s you option? Do you think it won't be possible to dye this one?
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis wrote:
t is written that it's a curtain and that's it's tulle, nothing else. As it is originally a Turkish site, I'm not sure they name it right. So… what’s you option? Do you think it won't be possible to dye this one?

I don't know. "Tulle" is a weave; or rather: the outcome of a certain way of twisting threads together.
What's missing is the information about the fiber content of that weave; meaning what the threads used to create that tulle are made from. Same for the fiber content of the embroidery threads.
Again, ask the seller about that. If they have no idea, ask them to do burn- and tear tests to determine the fiber content. If they don't feel like they could do that, let them send you a swatch and do the burn-/tear tests yourself.
Sothis ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:

I don't know. "Tulle" is a weave; or rather: the outcome of a certain way of twisting threads together.

I see. Anyway, thanks!
I personally don't need it now because I made my dress years ago and hand-embroidered the shawl (Didn't find anything nearly suitable, had to take the net,gelatinize it and embroider the pattern). But I think it looks like curtain girls used in the past and managed to dye somehow. Maybe it could be of some use for girls now.
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:
Mieal Deneb wrote:
I've found vintage cape material on eBay that would be perfect (probably would need a bit of dye)!

...which could be a problem.
Usually that netting is woven from nylon, while the embroidery threads are rayon. Rayon takes dye much better than nylon; which basically means that if you try to dye the netting, the 'white' parts of the embroidery (and conclusively all other colors in that embroidery) will take up a shade of yellowish / beige too - in case of the red in the embroideries, that can result in a 'rust' color....

idye poly might be an option. It states it is for polyester and nylon. I have used it a few times, I love their dyes full stop. I used it on a cotton/poly mix net and it vibrantly dyed the polyester and only very slightly the cotton. That was in a full on heat dye. I have also tinted netting with it by dipping in a cool water bath of the idye-poly. It worked well enough. I'd recommend though using a much smaller amount of dye (which is the only issue with these- they come in disolvable pouches so you need to be careful when dividing.
The cold water bath made it prone to streaking.

idye poly. Not regular idye. That stuff will dye rayon very very well indeed.

It's so very close this would be a small risk to take Smile

My camera needs charging but I can get some nice macros of the netting and tulle and other bits dyed with the stuff so you get a better idea Smile

(I also have 9m of pale blue chiffon that would decolour to the perfect golden tone... sigh... too bad it is earmarked for a stupid Victorian project Wink Sunburst gown. mmmmm.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neimhaille wrote:
Idye poly might be an option. It states it is for polyester and nylon. I have used it a few times, I love their dyes full stop. I used it on a cotton/poly mix net and it vibrantly dyed the polyester and only very slightly the cotton. That was in a full on heat dye.

That might work! Stupid I didn't think of that; I once used it to dye a polyester blend.
There's a website where someone made dye tests with Idye Poly on a piece of fabric that has different fibers woven in as stripes.
The website itself is currently inaccessible; but you can still see it on the Google cache.

Nylon is the 8th stripe from above; nylon is second from bottom.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember wrote:
...My ribbon came from SilkRibbon.com
The 5 colours on the right are the ones I ordered 15 yard spools of after comparing all the swatches with costume photos (the colours look so much better in person!). I can track down the shade names if anyone’s interested.

Really should get back on track with this costume!

I'd love to know the names of the shades you chose.

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has exploded! Is the picnic gown making a massive revival? XD

I have in 5 different yellow/tan shades of dye from Dharma Trading in! Including the Marigold and Camel colors that some have used, I also got the limited edition shade of Mustard, and a newer shade, Palomino Gold which looks interesting. Amber Waves toned down maybe. I haven't got my main dress fabric as I'm hoping for a tax refund for that (and my samples), and I'm buying my corset fabric soon, so I got a yard of a habotai and a chiffon just to start color testing and getting a good color range so I don't have to do as much dye testing on the real fabrics since they're pricey. Going to dye a swatch of each fabric in the straight color to see what they look like then start mixing from there. Here's the color chips from Dharma, they'll look different on every computer:

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ember ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mieal Deneb"]
Ember wrote:

I'd love to know the names of the shades you chose.

Sure, these are what I got

J053 Buttercup
J154 Baby Green
S532 Melon
J171 Olive
S-52 Bisque

Swatches are also just a couple of dollars if you want to check the colour before buying spools
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to get the camera to capture the colors as best I could. I think I'm going to recalculate formulas to include more water because Dharma's main formula never gave the fabric much room to swim around, that's why the last couple are blotchy, but...

The samples on the left of each paper are habotai and on the right is chiffon... I have to do more tests, but I think camel is actually perfect for the corset, kind of a champagne-gold color (prettier than the photo makes it out to be), I'll have to try it on the actual fabric when I get it. For the skirt I think it'll be Camel mixed with a bit of either Palomino Gold or Amber Waves. The other two are too yellow but I might be using a really diluted Marigold to make the splotchy under layer. I think before I finalize the skirt color I need to have a sample pink and yellow underlayer to make sure of the color.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for Camel, maybe with a teeny tiny bit of Amber Waves mixed in, for both corset and skirt fabric. They DO have the same color; it's just that the color seems stronger on the corset because it's not sheer.
Also, why "pink and yellow underlayer" for the skirt? The skirt has a white (light ivory, at best!) and pink underlayer, not yellow Wink
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:
I'd go for Camel, maybe with a teeny tiny bit of Amber Waves mixed in, for both corset and skirt fabric. They DO have the same color; it's just that the color seems stronger on the corset because it's not sheer.
Also, why "pink and yellow underlayer" for the skirt? The skirt has a white (light ivory, at best!) and pink underlayer, not yellow Wink

That was the plan, I'm doing samples for mixing in both colors.

And yes, I do believe the underskirt has a very very VERY pale shade of a yellow in it based on this picture and the description on Padawans Guide.

http://www.padawansguide.com/kelsey/pic_underlayer.jpg

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: