About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bc1c5568649dd326d9cfab2d42361c86Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia's joining the Picnic (a.k.a Vera's Meadow Gown Build)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JainaMSolo (Caitlin S.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vera is correct; the underskirt has both pink and gold "splotches."
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Thai Silks is having a sale, I'm trying to decide how much fabric I need. I decided to go with the 16mm crinkle for the outer layer, and 8mm crinkle chiffon for the inner layer. They have the 16mm in 54" wide, but they have been back-ordered on the 8mm that wide, but have it in 45" width.

Now, it's 36" from my waist to the floor, and with the 45" wide I suppose I need 9 yards for the skirt for 2 full circles per layer. I can probably save a little fabric laying the half-circles on the 54". I'm guessing the blouse I can make between 1-2 yards?

Should I perhaps order 10 yards on the 54" wide, and 12 yards of the 45" wide?

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used almost 8 yards of 110 inch wide fabric for my top layer. Granted I need to shorten the skirt - about a foot - due to a height issue with my dressform (as it I lined it up so that it would be my height but the base must have deformed - it had been my moms and is almost 50 years old - so the markings don't match actual height anymore). I got my fabric in Egypt so their widths are very different. It was meant to be used for floor to ceiling curtain panels - and they have HIGH ceilings to combat the heat and the embroidery pattern has a top and bottom edge which I cut off - they were 2-3 inches each, so really not much loss. I bought 11 meters because it was the end of a bolt so I got a big discount, and cut off a yard for my mom to use as curtains and had about 2 yards left in the end that I used for a summer dress. And I still have a couple pretty big scrap pieces, but not big enough to make any clothing out of - pillows probably. I'm about 5ft and a size 6, just to give you a comparison. And I made the skirt really full cause I thought it looked best that way. I'm not very good at guesstimating fabric amounts without reading the pattern so I always try to err on the side of buying too much, but I hope this helps a little bit with figuring out what you will need.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to buy way too much just-in-case, but as the main fabric is $25 a yard, I have to try and get it as close as I can reasonably afford to! I have learned to embrace being short though, we can get away with using less fabric or cutting things on the cross grain in a pinch. If my math is right, then half a circle skirt with 36" being the height (times 2 for each side) is a 2 yard length plus a little to cut out for the waist. Since I'm dividing 25 for my waist (probably more because it won't sit on the true waist) between 4 half circles, and considering I can cut the next circle on the opposite side and overlap them where the circles curve, I think I'm in the ballpark.

I hate the maths... but they are useful. I still have no clue how much to use for the bodice.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I lucked out that I found the right thing in the Cairo fabric market for 110 LE total (about $18.33 USD) but that was more to do with their economy (at the time most Egyptian families lived on 2 LE a week - and it was 6 LE to the dollar).

I used about a half yard per sleeve to get the fullness and I would estimate about 1 - 1.5 yards for the bodice. I did attach mine to the skirt under where the corset will be because I have issues with tops riding up under corsets so I'm adding a bit to my bodice usage to give a bit of extra length that would be needed if they arent attached. I would suggest 2.5 yards to be safe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vera, how are your progress with costume?
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow, my work schedule is real intermittent and it's been cold so I haven't been too motivated to work on things Laughing I was finally able to order all my silk fabric and am waiting for it to arrive, and I'm doing some embroidery tests to find the methods I like, so hopefully I can post that soon Smile I have to do more dye tests before I can get my fabric ready so until I get the right combo I'm tweaking the corset and working on other costumes I need sooner Smile Goal is to have this done by Dragon*Con at the end of August

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now that I've received all my fabric, I just had a clarifying moment in which I realized I may have misunderstood some grammar when I was researching this. The skirt... everything I am seeing right now says circle skirt. I could have sworn I saw something somewhere where some people were discussing it not being full enough and using 1.5-2 complete circles for the skirt, but now I can't find it. I asked Naergi earlier and she said yes, two full circles, but I just realized I think she meant two as in "one full circle on top, and one for the underlayer", and now I'm terribly confused. Does anyone remember seeing anywhere that the skirt might be made of more than a full circle piece? (I may have grossly over-ordered fabric... whoops)

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color is a bit more rich than in the picture, which washed it out, but you can see how it looks close to what's on the monitor. I think I'm getting close with the color. I am going to flat-line my pieces to a cotton with a weave I like which will show through when I cut out the squares, and that fabric will be a bit darker like the skirt color, so I want to dye a sample of that and the actual fabric and see how the color looks layered together.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used two full circles for the top layer 1.5 for the bottom to make it look full enough.

Here was my fit and comfort test run at camp before I added the sleeves (cause it was HOT that summer and I had just finished getting it put together that far.)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ya0kxvHzlVA/TlMBc8iBHZI/AAAAAAAAAC4/Nz8YkNNhGtI/s320/P1080748.JPG
Dagobah Base XO
Dagobah Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this costume be approved if the skirt was made with plain chiffon and not the crinkle chiffon?

Royal Rebellion Delegation CO
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady K wrote:
Would this costume be approved if the skirt was made with plain chiffon and not the crinkle chiffon?

The standards don't actually specify the crinkle chiffon:

"Off-the-shoulder, floor-length, full chemise (or off-the-shoulder full shirt and full gathered skirt) with wide full sleeves gathered to a narrow binding below the wrists in a golden yellow semi-sheer silk or silk-like matte chiffon or georgette, decorated with a pattern of twisting vines, small flowers and tiny cream iridescent 4-petaled sequins. The lower sleeve sections are wrapped in delicate silk or silk-like ribbons pale yellow, pale pink, rose pink and pale green. The skirt should have some fullness (a two-layer chiffon or georgette petticoat in light pink and pale yellow is suggested to achieve this). "

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: