About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=82b35a12fbf0cde4ef9210a4cb64a2a2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WookieTrooper's Chewy build
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroCooL (Nick)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: WookieTrooper's Chewy build Reply with quote

Despite my current username ( I used that because its my UKG name) i will hopefully be known as WookieTrooper.. because i will be a TK and Chewy Smile

So... thought i would start a WIP thread... Its going to be a long winded, hopefully well documented build, especially to help any UK/EU peeps with sourcing local products...

So. First on the agenda. Sort the stilts...

Got some 18" Plasterer stilts... very creaky, and far too tall. Im 6'1 so they would have made me massive, and proportions would have been all wrong :

So, as you can see arm lengths were way off proportions, and after reading a few other build threads - 12" seemed more like the way to go.

So : here's what i have made so far. They aren't pretty yet, but are based on Nierfherders build.

Made out of a single 4" pipe at the back, with a cutout for calf area, and 2 x 2" pipes at the front. There is another 2" pipe inside the 4" pipe surrounded in foam to give support to the heel of the foot.

Toes were a little long so have chopped them back since this photo was taken so that i could walk better. Strapping needs sorting... and foam for comfort, but otherwise VERY stable and easy to stand on..

Nick

chefhawk (ian sparrowhawk)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking Good Nick.

can you bend down in these in a type of crouching position for when you need to get into photos with kids>?

Keep up the good work and i look forward to seeing more.

cheers
gulywhumpr (James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to put a non-stormtrooper face to your posts. Looking forward to seeing more.
falconer (Conley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Count with a new follower of your post

Really have a lot of doubts

Good luck with your Chewie

Rgrds from Spain
ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile

Ian - Im not really sure how much i should be able to move about. They are no more or less rigid than plasterer stilts, or the design of the tub lifts... so it doesnt make much difference i dont think yet. I am not yet 100% on the design of the stilts, but i need some foam, tape and toes to finish the 'sculpt' of the foot.

James - haha yeah, sorry never really introduced myself properly before!

Falconer - Thanks Smile I still have a lot of doubts... but nothing that a good bit of reading and reference pics wont answer!

Update 4/9/2013

Found this in the UK, its nice and doesnt stretch a lot vertically (though it does horizontally) so the weight of the fur shouldnt deform the suit too much.

ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Śtilts are fully made now, leg struts and straps done, they feel great to move in, not exactly normal walking but it's a learning curve!

My current dilemma.... Made a mock suit to test sizing etc. the legs jut don't sit right. I don't want horsey style legs.

Here's how they originally looked

Then I decided to try and pad the legs out slightly. This helped, but then it got even better once I added a heel pad to the stilt. This changed the shape of my leg slightly...

Im still not happy with it, can't tell if I'm ever going to achieve the shape of the leg I want!?

ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing ive noticed in doing this costume so far...

It is not clean cut, crisp or even very professional looking at some points - but you have to step back to see the bigger picture.

I dont like having stilts covered in black tape, they look naff - but once the high quality stilts covers were made, and the padded straps it started to come together. Once the fur is on the feet it will look great...

gulywhumpr (James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Hair fixes everything, except having too much hair.
falconer (Conley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking nice.

Now you're ready for a Disco night with some songs of the Bee Gees, lol !!!

Rgrds
gulywhumpr (James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one falconer! I was thinking the same thing. Some sparkly boots, instead of black stilts, and it's time to head out with John Travolta and strut.
chefhawk (ian sparrowhawk)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeroCooL wrote:
Śtilts are fully made now, leg struts and straps done, they feel great to move in, not exactly normal walking but it's a learning curve!

My current dilemma.... Made a mock suit to test sizing etc. the legs jut don't sit right. I don't want horsey style legs.

Here's how they originally looked

Then I decided to try and pad the legs out slightly. This helped, but then it got even better once I added a heel pad to the stilt. This changed the shape of my leg slightly...

Im still not happy with it, can't tell if I'm ever going to achieve the shape of the leg I want!?

It looks allot better shapewise with the padding out.

looking good...looking good

Smile
ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate mock ups and test-runs of things like this... but with a project like this, it is all customisable and takes time to tinker, test, adjust, then create..

For anyone making Chewie... have patience!

I'm doing my homework and have found some mesh in the UK, the supplier is so intrigued he is giving it to me for FREE!

Also found out my fur will be arriving in Shrewsbury tomorrow, thats TWO UK suppliers for ALL of the fur now Smile COME ON THE UK!!

No hefty shipping and customs seizures for me!

This weekend i hope to make some home made clay, which i will then use to sculpt some ANH toes, which as far as i can see no one else makes? Then use something to cast them and make a mould for something like dragon skin etc.. not sure yet Smile

I have my mesh suit Mk2 now to try on, less flared out in the legs, so may eliminate some of the 'bulge' look!

Nick

ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.. Hair is all here, mesh has turned up!...

First thing : new mesh suit, mk2 with the gusset in the trousers, narrowed bell bottoms, lengthened shirt sides etc..

As you can see in pics I'm testing muscle foam definition to eliminate bell bottom feet look...

ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update no.2 :

Sculpted a left set of ANH style toes... From the reference pics I've looked at these seem pretty close...what ya reckon?

Btw the toenails are cardboard for test purposes :-)

ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please someone help me out with some answers, this forum is soooooooooo slow Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: