Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9115bfcc6f77d4d1c2bd43b4495b7e8fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Help! ... Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs_Skywalker95 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Help! ... Please Reply with quote

Hello! Smile
So I am extremely new at the whole, "make-your-own" costume thing and I am SO lost as how to make a Jedi costume. I have a robe, but all I need now is the belt and the tunic(s) and whatever goes with them. I have searched through the tutorials and my mind has been blown. I am so confused! If someone who is strong in the Force could please give a newbie a chance and some slack and help me learn how to make the rest of my costume, I would be eternally grateful!

P.S. I would rather not have to buy very expensive things, being a teenager and all, well, I don't have that many credits! Thanks a bujillion! Mr. Green
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mrs. Skywalker, welcome to the forums. We all started somewhere, and this is a good place to start!

Ok, let's start with what you have. Can you sew? Do you have access to a sewing machine? These things will give you a chance to make a costume cheaply. If you don't, it will be harder, but not impossible. I started making costumes with basic hand sewing skills, and pretty much taught myself to use a sewing machine making my first costume.

Don't get too overwhelmed thinking of all the things you have to make. Take it one step at a time, and focus on making one thing at a time.

Now, to simplify things, and so I don't just go over what has been said before; rather than looking at all the tutorials and getting confused, just stick to one tutorial. Try this one... Wink

Click here for SithariRog's Tutorial

Tython Base Facebook Page
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason!

And I will be updating that tutorial VERY soon...maybe even this coming weekend. I'm going to remove some of the instructions from the Simplicity 4450 pattern (because they're confusing) and upgrading to more of a step-by-step method Wink Stay tuned!

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Mrs_Skywalker95 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both so very much! Smile I do have sewing experience, but do not own a sewing machine. I have friends who do, however! Thanks again, and I will take your advice. Smile
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome tothe forums ...

there are pleanty of patterns like simplicity that will give ideas as well as , when trooping look at the costuems that others are wearing for ideas on the build ..

welcome aboard !!
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
Thanks Jason!

Youre welcome! Thank you for putting up such an in-depth tutorial... Even if I didn't follow it... Wink Smile Very Happy

SithariRog wrote:
And I will be updating that tutorial VERY soon...maybe even this coming weekend. I'm going to remove some of the instructions from the Simplicity 4450 pattern (because they're confusing) and upgrading to more of a step-by-step method Wink Stay tuned!

Better get cracking... Mrs S needs it!

Having basic ability to sew and access to a sewing machine is a good start, Mrs Skywalker. SithariRog has a few suggestions about practicing on cheap fabric that are good ideas. Heck, come to think of it, calico is a cheap fabric that may make quite a good costume! The green Jedi I wear now is a test piece made from relatively cheap materials, we originally made it more to test the patterns and learn how to make the costume, but it ended up looking so good I finished it properly and put it in for approval. I have beautiful cloth for my "proper" costume, and haven't had the chance to get started on it! Wink

Tython Base Facebook Page
Mrs_Skywalker95 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Smile And thank you! I have almost eight months to complete my costume, which I know is WAY more time than I need. I'm also setting aside a budget for this costume, and I don't think I will go over. (Especially if the yards of cotton gauze are $1 a yard at WalMart) Thank you for your help! And I will be checking your tutorial for that update! Smile
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a JoAnn Fabrics in the area, be sure to sign up for their coupons as well! Their 40% and 50% off coupons come in handy! I almost never pay full price for anything from there, especially fabric. Hit the thrift stores and garage sales as well, sometimes you can find sheets, curtains, and table cloths dirt cheap to use for mock up material before you cut into the real thing.

SithariRog's tutorials are great! I've referred to them often myself for my own generic jedi that I'm working on. I've also found reading through some of the other jedi WIP build threads on here to be very helpful as well. You get to see all the trials, triumphs, tips, and tricks others have already been through that might make your own jedi build go a little smoother, or give you great ideas. I've also looked through the member pictures of the Jedi to see what I liked and didn't like, etc.

Like Fyr said, focus on one piece at a time, otherwise it gets very overwhelming. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: