Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=90556c6a19931c982725079c581e72cbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode I Battle Handmaiden Holster
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Episode I Battle Handmaiden Holster Reply with quote

I am trying to find a way to either make this or see if someone else can make it for me. I googled it and it mostly comes up with the belt, holster, and blaster for her arena outfit from AOTC.

This is what it looks like:
Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by darthrevan (Ally Bock) on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 am; edited 2 times in total
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I'm confused as to why this is a required item. I think it's great as an optional accessory, but I've been staring this holster down for a few days now, and I'm honestly not sure how to go about making it in a way that a) doesn't look terrible, and b) wouldn't break my blaster. I have a modified Rubies blaster, and the barrel is extremely fragile and very prone to breaking. The last thing I want to do is attach it to a belt and have it knocking around like that.

It looks like it's molded rubber. How any of us are expected to accomplish that, I'm really not sure. If the LCJs have helpful suggestions, I would love to hear them, because right now all I can see is a piece that nobody knows how to make, for a gun that is not easy to find, and it's just going to keep people from making this costume. Accuracy is great, but there are details, and then there are details that matter. I troop without my gun all the time for the aforementioned fragility issues, and never once has anyone asked me why I don't have one.

Requiring this piece, to me, is just plain ridiculous. I don't recall this being a discussion with those of us who have actually made the costume, or anyone else in the RLGS. Which, granted, may not be technically required (I'm not sure what the charter has to say about standards updates), but it would have been a thoughtful step to consult us, rather than just delivering standards updates from on high. Particularly when one of the Royalty LCJs, in someone else's battle handmaiden thread, asked for references. I can't deny, I facepalmed pretty hard when I saw that post, because it showed that the very people who are demanding this standard of us don't even know what it is. And that is a problem.

There's a balance to be found between accuracy and practicality. By making the blaster and holster optional, I don't believe this sacrifices accuracy at all, and greatly increases the practicality and accessibility of this costume.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[none]
Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by darthrevan (Ally Bock) on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also love to know why this is suddenly a required item. I can understand just the blaster itself, but to require the holster? I had planned originally to use my Security Forces blaster until I could get my hands on this one but now I have to look for another piece to this outfit and somehow figure out a holster? (And I still say it's a Covertec clip because that's what was used for the Security Forces' blaster clips.)

This almost makes me want to put my costume on hold again to work on other things, because the only reason I was pushing it forward was to renew my Active status and troop with it but if I can't do that because of one piece then I don't see the point on working on it for a while.. :/ *sigh*
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be a covertec (unprovable as it is, seeing as there is literally no reference for it), and if so, great. People who choose to make a holster will have that as an idea.

I'd just like to point out that the holster/covertec combo appears in none of the high resolution promotional or exhibit photos, which is the reference that 99.99% of us have been using for this costume. We use traveling exhibits as legitimate reference for other handmaiden costumes- I refer, of course, to the flame gown and its optional floor-length tabard. That is a much larger variance, and I don't see why there's a difference in these two cases.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So say we need that sleeve to actually get the gun into the holster. What do we do with it when it's not in the holster? It's kind of stupid looking and is not what you see in any of the promo photos or in any of the main shots in the movie. I imagine we will get asked "what is that black thing?" more often than "where is your holster?" or even "Where is your blaster?"

Plus, I don't think I ever want to keep my blaster in a holster. Like DWH, mine is really fragile and it would probably break if I tried to walk with it hanging on my leg. The holster would then be decorative, and honestly, when compared with the rest of this costume, it's an ugly piece. I think it would take away from the costume, accuracy or no, more than it would add.

Moreover, there are so many promo photos where you can't even see a holster, if it is there at all. I'm just confused why it's required too, if we can hardly see it and don't know what it fully looks like or how it attaches to the belt.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a holster for her blaster?! I have never seen one in any of the promo photos and I never noticed it in the movie either. I think this should fall under optional accessory. It doesn't feel like one of those "make or break" pieces to the costume such as the belt buckle or hair style would.

Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this

Anakin Skywalker wrote:
I'm no expert, far from it, but here is a thought

on the second picture it looks like a sort of short sleeve sitting snug on the gun

like this

could there be a covertec ring on it like with the security blaster and comlink like panakas?

Edit:

I found theese two screenshot

to my eyes the look like covertec clips

Edit 2:

and acording to parts of sw i might be right http://www.partsofsw.com/Ep_1/roylpist2.htm

and here it is hanging

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, though, I never even noticed a holster for it until it was listed as a required item for this costume... (Despite having seen Ep 1 countless times..) And when looking for screenshots for the costume, I find just as many that do NOT show the holster/sleeve on the blaster.

^---this one you can BARELY see the holster sticking off the belt, but only because it blocks the buckle..

JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go on record and tell you why it was added - because it's there. There are enough screen shots and images of the holsters in the movie in order to have it as a part of the costume. Now that we've had the ability to update the standards, which are being done across the boards, the R/S standards are included in that. These range from items that were previously overlooked (hair and beard on Obi-Wan in Episode III, for example) to the removal of 'no flats' from the Princess Leia ceremonial standard. There are a lot of images that show the blaster with the loop or holster.

If you want to see the simplest form and how it's used, check out the Padme image from toyhaven:

This has been discussed for quite some time and reviewed by the RLGS command staff, the Costume Standards Committee (including all Royalty LCJs) and the LMO.

Also of note, if you are approved already for this costume, you do not have to make any changes. Only in the event of another Legion wide rejudging would an approved costume need to be brought up to the new standard. I do not foresee this happening anytime soon.
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair though Mark, that toy doll does not have the accurate holster (nor have we ever used toys/dolls as accurate references), and furthermore, not all the LCJs for Royalty agreed to the changes. Some of us were pushing for optional.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, just as an example. And no, not everyone agreed on it, but it did get approved by the CSC and RLGS command staff.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's required, then I want to know exactly what it is that is required. Are we talking a rubber holster that must be hanging on our guns at all times? Are we talking some kind of approximate black thing that can hang from our belts? Is it a covertex clip? What is the specific requirement that the LCJs will be judging on? And if it is the completely accurate rubber sleeve, who is making it so that this costume will be approvable for the future, or will it be an impossible hurdle to cross until someone will the rubber casting skills appears?

I am not concerned for my own approvability, as I know I am already approved without it, however I have seen this costume grow in popularity over the last year. Sewing and materials-wise, it is an expensive costume with materials that are technically very hard to sew with, but people want to do it anyway because it is a fantastic costume. My concern is that this holster will be the tipping point that discourages some people from taking their otherwise 'finished' costume and not completing it and submitting it for approval.

If there was a reliable seller for this holster, or a detailed tutorial on the forums that walked people through what it was and how to make it, I would retract my complaints. The biggest issue I have here is that the standard is being enforced before it was clear what exactly this thing looks like is understood.

What I see in this thread is a list of photos with circles and arrows on them indicating the existence of a holster on the belt. Even that reference book image doesn't really show us what the holster sleeve looks like, and more importantly, how it attaches to the belt. Also, how does it detach from the gun, or stay there like that when it is attached? I agree with Rachel in this one that the doll is not a sufficient resource if the inclusion of the holster is an accuracy issue. I would rather everyone had no holsters than everyone having clunky, inaccurate holsters based on the single reference of a doll.

Alternatively, there could be two versions of this costume for approval. One: move-version with the holster. Two: promo version, without the holster; not eligible for highest-profile movie-only events, as this would not strictly be a 'movie' costume. There are at least three promo sources that do not include a holster:

1) The traveling exhibit: http://www.padawansguide.com/sonnet/b1.jpg
2) "The Queen In Disguise" children's book published around Episode 1: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Handmaiden_training.JPG
3) Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels (a reference book) http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:PadmeBattleDress-SWCP.jpg
4) Paper doll set: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:PadmeBattleDress-SWCP.jpg
5) there's this set of promo images we've referenced a lot, though I'm having trouble figuring out what the actual printed source for this was: http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/battle/battle7.jpg

I see that this is an issue that the administration has made a decision on and, like it or not, does not want to budge. It may be something I don't agree with, but it's not my decision to make. I propose two versions of the costume for approval, rather than changing the new standards.

Regardless, I think a more productive discussion would be to figuring out what the standards mean for the holster and how it should be created so that new applicants who are working on the costume could make the holster and submit it under the new standards and get the costume approved, even with this debate still going on.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly "because it's there" is not a good enough reason. We've already pointed out several examples of "sometimes it's not there." Until it was made required, nobody who has made this costume (which, by the by, we are your best resources, as we've put in the research) even noticed its existence. It's a part of the costume that I would deem trivial, one of those details you put in if you're of the 'above and beyond' persuasion, and have the skill set to do it.

NOBODY has told us what is required, or what it looks like, or what standard it will be judged on. Mieal, in spite of being a Royalty LCJ, had the gall to ask us for reference, AFTER it had been made required. It's idiotic and it's insulting to everyone who has already done a beautiful job on this costume.

Just because an authority insists something is right doesn't mean that it actually is. Authorities have been known, from time to time, be obstinately wrong. To that end, I'm not planning on dropping this. Just so y'all know.

Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an outsider looking in, a simple strap of leather- cut into that shape on the figure listed above- would suffice for the holster.

Problem solved.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: