Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=28d246863d7096d6c0cd4e6373132ac0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode I Battle Handmaiden Holster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except not. Nubian design is known for its elegance, so a "simple leather strap" will look awful and out of place on the belt of the battlemaiden outfit. Not to mention that all the pictures presented for reference of the holster is that it is form-fitted over the pistol.
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediSionnaTrekina wrote:
Except not. Nubian design is known for its elegance, so a "simple leather strap" will look awful and out of place on the belt of the battlemaiden outfit. Not to mention that all the pictures presented for reference of the holster is that it is form-fitted over the pistol.

Leather can be wet-formed over most shapes of many sizes, so it still isn't out of the realm of possibility.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look like wet formed leather. And the whole problem here is that the leadership- not you, and not Mark, but ANY of the R/S LCJs- has thus far refused to weigh in, and has shown that at least one of them is entirely ignorant on the matter of what it's supposed to look like, and why is it so hard to see why that is a gigantic problem?

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Rachel (miana) did visit this thread, and like she said, there were some that there were some that were in favor of it being optional. It was added to the standards though and will be effective at the beginning of November. Although I'm not a R/S judge, I did have access to the thread and I actually think it's not entirely a bad idea. I've thought a couple times while trooping that it would be nice to have somewhere to put my blaster.
Jeremiah 29:11
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely right that not all the LCJs thought it should be a required item. I figured this would be a hot button issue when we were discussing whether it should be an optional item or required. It doesn't really matter now because it IS in the standards. I just hope that everyone will put a blaster in the holster or it'll look really silly!

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
It doesn't really matter now because it IS in the standards.

Yeah, and I think it's a ridiculous addition, and nobody has sufficiently answered some important questions about what it looks like, or why it's so vital to the costume that it's a required item.

If LCJs can just smack standards down without any discussion or input from detachment members, I would like to contest that practice, because exactly zero of the current R/S LCJs have approved versions of this costume (since Miana is no longer among their number), and the people who have actually put in the work are protesting. That might indicate you did something wrong. I'm just saying.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that is an incorrect statement, Lisa. The detachment heads themselves were involved in the discussions of this and the royalty LCJs were as well, including one of them that initiated the 'add the holster' discussion. This was not just a willy-nilly addition because someone felt like it, it was a legitimate part of the costume and therefore the standard was changed. It is like the Covertec you mentioned - not all the Jedi use it, maybe they carry their saber, bladed, in their hand. Doesn't mean the Covertec shouldn't be there as a required item.

Back to the original request at hand, trying to keep things on topic - Ally was asking if someone would write a tutorial or give some help in leatherwork, and if someone could assist with that, wonderful.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get it out of the way, I disagree with the decision to add this as required. However, I also recognize that the decision has been made, and with that, I think we have some big questions to find out answers to.

JediSionnaTrekina wrote:

I think this is a valid point. Since this has been added, and references have been pointed out and shown, I think it should be at least proper-looking.

I think the point made here is that just a simple leather strap (unformed and not shaped) would look completely out of character with Naboo elegance, and really, a holster just for the sake of having a holster, is pointless. If the point is accuracy, then the holster needs to be accurate.

However, Jenna makes a very valid point. If we want to do this, and do it correctly, does anyone have an idea how best to approach this?

Other questions:
    -Will it be OK to have options on the holster? i.e., will having it simply be part of the blaster be OK?
    -What if it is permanently attached to the belt and can only be "on" the blaster when it is holstered?
    -Will any/all means of attaching the holster to the belt be acceptable?
    -What materials will be acceptable? For instance, if I wanted to mold and bake a sculpey-molded holster backed by wire mesh, and just keep it "on" the blaster at all times, and just wire a snap into it to snap it into place, would that be acceptable?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lisa's point, Mark, is that the discussion was only between the 4 R/S LCJs at the time, the Detachment CO who happened to be one of those judges, yourself, and Ally, who isn't an LCJ of R/S but as she had the costume also weighed in. That's 6 people.

Out of the 6 of us, the only people with this costume who know this costume intimately was myself and Ally. The discussion was never put up to ladies in the detachment who also have it or are planning to make it for their input.

We get a lot of our costume revisions from the ladies (and gents) who have made these costumes or are researching them and find flaws in the standards. Just look at the Episode 2 gold Travel Gown and compare the old and new standards. They know the dress best, so we trusted their judgement when we updated those standards.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the decision of exactly how this is expected to look / be made is finally settled, someone please let me know so I can add it to my "to-do" list for this costume so I can plan for my budget expansion accordingly... *sigh*
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lisa, and have to say I think the way this was done is like a slap to the face to the membership. I sincerely hope this doesn't become Legion practice, because it's a lousy way to do things. You don't even know what it should look like yet... jeez In the future: run things past your costumers who actually knows the costumes before you make any final decisions.

Wet forming a piece of black leather is probably the best option I can think of right now. Unless anyone can do rubber work?
And then add a covertec to it and put a covertec clip on your belt. It might work.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your feedback Very Happy . It's good to hear the concerns and I understand them.
As far as the standards, a "small fitted but firm holster on the right hand side" is deemed required. I think the picture of the Hasbro Padme toy lends some simplicity to this piece that should be easy enough to create and there are many leather making tutorials available. It should also be rather affordable.
I know the hard work that all of you put into your costumes and this discussion is further validation of how much heart goes into your costume builds. Thank you for your passion and desire to be as accurate as possible.
I would really love for someone to take on making a short tutorial for this so if there are any takers, come on up Very Happy

[/url]
http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2008/09/queen-amidala-from-star-wars-episode-i.html
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:

Wet forming a piece of black leather is probably the best option I can think of right now. Unless anyone can do rubber work?
And then add a covertec to it and put a covertec clip on your belt. It might work.

I agree. Leather is probably the best way to go with this. I would use a good heavy leather, no less than 8 ounces.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have no intention of making this costume for myself, the response to this issue and the wave of "no one knows how to do this or what it looks like" comments has me disturbed. There are plenty of shots, people in this Legion have done more from less, and while I understand its upsetting to have the standards updated, it is what it is. Lets make the best of it.

Using the nice clear image from the Visual Guide, I have already begun molding something to have a try at a vacuum formed holster. It will be rigid to stay on if one wishes but have a clip to stay on the belt if one wishes.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenigDurak, I guess my biggest concern is that we didn't know what it looked like until this thread went up, and that was after the standards were established. That is honestly pretty troubling to me as there are a couple of girls who are in progress with this costume and had no idea what the new standards meant. Thus, this thread.

My other major concern is that, we have the standards which asks for a fitted black holster, and we have two very different examples: the movie version in the visual dictionary or the doll version (and dolls have not been an acceptable reference in the past for accuracy. Why start now?). That doll holster is not 'fitted,' as far as I can see. I am still waiting for one of the LCJs to weigh in in this thread to tell us what exactly they will approve and won't approve. Because, really that's what it comes down to.

And I do agree with Lora Skywalker, that decision came as feeling like a massive slap in the face. After all the careful research we did in our build thread earlier this year, no one stepped in and said "Hey guys! Check it out, she's got a holster!" To me, this standard addition feels like, "Hey look, none of the existing battle maidens in the legion are good enough." Probably not the intention, but since none of the wider detachment membership was consulted or even warned about this (despite the abundance of battle maiden build threads this year), it really does feel like an insult, no matter what the intention was.

Mieal Deneb wrote:
I just hope that everyone will put a blaster in the holster or it'll look really silly!

Yes. I heartily agree. What about when we want to carry our blasters as we always have, because they are pretty awesome guns (and the gun will probably break if I let it bounce against my leg)? Then we have a silly empty holster always hanging from our belts without a gun in it. For this reason alone, plus the fact that there are at least four sources of this costume without the holster, I really feel like this should be an optional item. I think it's a really good idea to have a standard for what all the possible costume pieces look for, in case someone wants to add it, it should be up to standards, but I think it really need to be in the 'optional' section, especially when it's not in all (or even a majority, it seems) of the sources used for this costume.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: