About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c58f79ac8595d9acfb8545abb27c482bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A franken-han belt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akiyata ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: A franken-han belt Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm new here but decided to try my hand at a Han Solo belt. I've seen a few tutorials here and that's partially why I'm calling it a franken-han belt. For the construction I'm using Jedimika's tutorial and for the detail I'm using captsolo77's tutorial. So far I've made most of the hardware.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That a good start. How do you plan on attaching the holster mounts?
akiyata ()

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to do this last night, but I was going to jb weld a short screw at the bottom of the buckles. I also kind of wanted to see the clearance of the leather. Im trying to make it so I can change the holster, or put on a "blank" so I can use this belt with other outfits.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good start! Please continue taking pics so we can follow your progress and learn from it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I assembled the main belt minus the gear pouches. I did It step for step so far by Jedimika's tutorial. As you can see I ran out of 24 snaps so it looks a little odd. The spacing I used was 1 1/2". I thought it was a good compromise between Jedimika's and captsolo77's belts.

theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for the WIP, really useful.

If you are going to be using the gunbelt for a Han costume, his gunbelts have a very specific and iconic fit. Here's a pic from Bob's archive but there are loads more (and from all three movies) which show what I'm trying to explain:

The waist part of Han's gunbelt is not straight at the front, nor is it hung to one side like Indy's or a cowboy. It starts on one side at about the three hole pants belt level, drops down to where the buckle (which sits straight) sits very much lower than the three hole belt, the goes back up to the original height. With movement and from scene to scene it naturally moves a little but that broadly symmetrical hang / droop is always there. That is how the gunbelt must fit to accurately and properly fit a Han costume.

At the back the waist part of the gunbelt is effectively straight (subject to movement).

The most obvious way to achieve that is by angling the front latches so the bottoms of the latches are further away from each other than the top. I notice that on your buckles the latches are parallel, which is why your gunbelt is straight. The second way I have seen the hang achieved is where the latches are parallel, but the weight of the holster pulls the buckle down so that only the corner of the waist hooks are hooked on the latches. This is not the best way of doing it but it can work and even with just partially engaged hooks holding it, the gunbelt can still be secure. It very much depends if the hooks are free enough on the latch to be naturally pulled out of position but still the right size and shape to securely keep the gunbelt on. For info, this fit isn't something the (unmodded) CB gunbelts I have seen can do because the waist strap is looped through the buckle latch and is not free to move out of the straight position.

Han's belt doesn't hang at the front because it is too big or loose, it fits properly and does it by design.

So if you aren't doing the gunbelt for a Han costume it doesn't matter if it fits the Han way. But if you want it for a Han costume as well (I hope you do), you may want to consider how the gunbelt is going to achieve the Han fit properly.

Either way, good luck.

Greg.
akiyata ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theeviltwin-
I have seen ones on this forum done like this, I believe captsolo77 does one like this in his tutorial. I've been looking over the movies and many photos and my conclusion is that the belt was strait and the pull forward was caused by the holster. Somtimes it's strait, sometimes it has a curve and somtimes it has a very distinct v like shape as in your post.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

I can understand why you feel that way... it does seem like certain scenes in ANH where the belt does seem a bit straighter than the picture above. By design of the hooking system both could be achieved with the brackets even to the belt... just much easier if it is in parallel to the buckle.

I will say in ROTJ this is much more pronounced in the buckle area due to the different hardware that was used to connect to the buckle. I highly doubt ROTJ buckle system had the hooks on the buckle paralel to the belt... more than likely it was paralel to the buckle as Eviltwin is stating.

I am a bit torn on ANH... for their is not much evidence like there is for ROTJ (ESB is a non facotr due to the buckle used in the front).

If I had to take a side on this I would say that the buckle and the hook (that attachest the buckle to the belt) are paralel to the cut of the buckle.

What does that mean? It means 2 things... one it means it will lay better on the hip for the buckle will force the belt to lay down better...and that I really should re-do mu buckles! Embarassed

CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akiyata,

Glad to see you starting your project and taking the time to post photos so we can all follow along. Kudos on crafting your own hardware, very ambitious!!

The only downside to posting WIP pics is now you're going have all of us chiming in with our opinions!! Laughing I agree with both Bob and eviltwin, those fastening brackets on the the front buckle should be parallel to the edges of the buckle. I could see how you mingt think it's the weight of the holster pulling it forward, but as you'll see when you get further along, when you make the belt from quality leather, it really doesn't pull forward that much. Certainly not enough to get your belt to pull from the position it is in in your photos, to the position that Han wears it. Even the weight of my full-metal blasters don't pull the belt out of position that much.

Maybe go ahead and make another buckle just to try it. The one you've made would still be usable as the rear buckle on the ESB/ROTJ rigs, so the time and material wouldn't go to waste. I think in the long run, you'll be happier with the angled brackets. MP makes his this way as well.

I'm a little concerned that JB Welding the screw to the buckle to hold the holster strap might not be strong enough to hold up to both blaster weight and movement. Then again, I'm no expert; it may be just fine. If it is, you'd be a great commercial for JB Weld!!

Again, looking great so far. Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming!!

Brian
akiyata ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Please I welcome and need the criticism! This being my first go at something more screen accurate. SoloYT1300, I think I will cut another buckle, and keep the other around. Like captsolo77 said, I could still use it for other belts! About the jb weld, I trust it more than most and at this point it's the only metal fab I have available. Just one of the many trial and error things I'm sure ill have with this belt.
Ok, a few questions I've been looking for but not found,
1. what are the dimensions of the pouches? I know one is a co2 cartridge. But I don't know the other 4.
2. I think the ends of the holster leather, where it attaches to the belt looks about the same thickness as the belt. In my case 2". Does that sound right? And also any advice on the shape would be most appreciated.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, here's a picture of the back of my buckle. (CaptSolo77 and I have the same ones)

This set allows me to do all three movie configurations, with the one in the middle being the back buckle for ROTJ.

And as a side note, the CO2 cartridge used in the movie was a Sparklets brand soda syphon "bulb" which is actually a bit slimmer and shorter than a standard CO2 cartridge available nowadays.
akiyata ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I made a new buckle, and got pouch templates from captsolo77s tread: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44090&highlight=han+solo+tools

Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we're talking! Looking good. Since it appears you're going the ANH route, you will also need to put a groove in the belt about 1/8" in on both the top and bottom. Keep up the great work!
akiyata ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step at a time! Smile that's in my next phase (read paycheck) befor the pouches. Thanks though.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

That lays much better IMO, great start!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: