About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=72716e6522339649043fae198085651cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

What are the Standards for a Tauntaun fursuit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowBunny (Jhatonna Turner)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: What are the Standards for a Tauntaun fursuit? Reply with quote

I live in independence, MO and I'm working on a tauntaun fursuit(Mascot suit like you see at baseball games or football games)aaaannnd, I was wondering....if the association would accept a well rendered tauntaun?

I notice nobody does a lot of uncommon characters like wookies(God Bless, the standards for them are crazy outrageous. Probably why there aren't many wookies. So much work, lol)

So, I was wondering, what would the standard be for a tauntaun, since they are Rebel mounts and they do appear in the movies? They are Rebel Legion workers in a way, transporting the men and women across the barren landscape of Hoth.

Wampas appear in the standards, but tauntauns don't and I don't know why because they're toys, they're on shirts, comics, sleeping bags, and well, you know the jokes they are bashed with. Also, they're on the SAME PLANET!

The standards say, if we have proof of our subject matter appearing within view or in the background in the motion pictures, then we can do it as a formal costume. Thing is, nobody is as weird as I and has taken a strange interest in a tauntaun, lol. Up until now, at least, not that I know of for this association. In other fandoms, yes, here, not so much.

How strict would the standard be? Do I have to look identical to the tauntaun Luke Skywalker or Han Solo was riding or can I add my own spin on it as long as people that see me can say "Oh! That's a tauntaun, look, Timmy!"

I mean, this isn't a mere clothing "Costume" I'm making, this is going to be a SUIT like a Wookie or an Ewok. I would naturally assume I had to look like one in the movie, but would exceptions be made? To be realistic, there's so much concept art of the tauntaun, its not funny and no two tauntauns look alike, either. As long as I look like a tauntaun,I don't see anything too strict with making it look specific, but that's what I think *wink-wink*

Here are the WIP pictures I have so far so people can get an idea. It's not finished and its quite crude, as I work like this on all the suits I've made so far, but it is pretty much ready to be furred after I add the skull nubs that tauns have on their domes. The horns and nubs will be covered in a tan to brown faux leather or liquid latex(Depending on my funds) to give it a more natural look. Some tedios fleece-pulling techniques will probably be applied to the fleshy areas of the face to create wrinkles and bare skin that the tauntauns in the movie had on their muzzles. I'll try figuring out how to get the ridges in there for the horns. I have several techniques on how to make it look like ram's horns. Since I'm new to making horns, I'm toggling the easiest, cheapest, but most effective method.

The body will come after the head once I have the money for fur (Going to peak well over 200 dollars, faux fur is the devil, like that)

Some things I did want to know about the standard are: Would I need to wear a bridle and a saddle? Or could I be a wild, untamed tauntaun? And, I wouldn't need an adult, would I? (A Rebel Hoth soldier keeping an eye on me, I could be wild, you know). Someone would need to speak for me or guide people on how to interact with me if they wanted to, seeing as how I"m an animal and I can't talk, lol. Would I need to designate someone to accompany to events or someone that all ready goes to do that at some point? I suppose that would generally be a good idea anyways.

Could I leave my coat a pure white, possibly, or would I need to airbrush or manually stroke in fur color gradients with paint or something to be more realistic?

My funds are pretty much none at the moment to afford such things like acrylic paint and or an airbrush to go with it.

Yappity-Yappity!

What's the temperature on the inside of a
tauntaun? Luke Warm!

Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is someone out there with a TaunTaun Luke.

As far as the standard, yes, you would have to look like the picture as the TaunTaun appeared in the movie. A "mascot" type fursuit:

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/News/PublishingImages/ChubbyCheckers.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NwMmft2Mlzg/SQhylMKE_iI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/FAeDwyKuN4c/s200/rufus+bobcats.jpg

http://chicksinthehuddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/sir-purr.jpg

Would not be acceptable.

First and foremost, you should make a costume for yourself. If you want to make a TaunTaun mascot, go for it. It being accepted by the Rebel Legion should be secondary.

But if you want to make something that would be accepted by the RL, it would have to "look like the picture".

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jada wrote:
There is someone out there with a TaunTaun Luke.

As far as the standard, yes, you would have to look like the picture as the TaunTaun appeared in the movie. A "mascot" type fursuit:

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/News/PublishingImages/ChubbyCheckers.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NwMmft2Mlzg/SQhylMKE_iI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/FAeDwyKuN4c/s200/rufus+bobcats.jpg

http://chicksinthehuddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/sir-purr.jpg

Would not be acceptable.

First and foremost, you should make a costume for yourself. If you want to make a TaunTaun mascot, go for it. It being accepted by the Rebel Legion should be secondary.

But if you want to make something that would be accepted by the RL, it would have to "look like the picture".

Aww, okay, but I mean, I wouldn't have to be riding it or anything, I could just be the tauntaun by itself as long as it was a replica of the animatronic movie tauntaun?

I know you said the mascot wouldn't be acceptable, but I'm putting realism into the suit. It's not going to look cartoony or oversized. It's going to be pretty realistically rendered. I just used "Mascot," to explain to those who don't know what a fursuit is. Its the same concept, anyways.

This is the most realistic Tauntaun suit I could find, but sadly, it doesn't mirror the movie tauntaun, but it is very realistically rendered. Either way, I think I know what you expect, so I'll just make this suit and get serious about being accepted later. I just don't have the funds to be accurate right now. It was worth asking though. Maybe in a year or two I can work on the real tauntaun suit.

I'm assuming I'd need to be as big as the animatronic tauntaun as well, right? When I do make the suit?

One other thing, would I still be able to attend group meets and events though? I wouldn't be clashing with the authenticity would I?

Yappity-Yappity!

tauntaun? Luke Warm!

JeroenM ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means you would have to look it more like this if you want to be able to get it approved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dsxUDGQGOg
I just stumbled across this some time ago, but I don't know who it is.
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good video on the restoration of one of the film used heads.
I actually didn't know they had 4 nostrials until this video... learn something new each day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9v9KA7yASI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeroenM wrote:
I think he means you would have to look it more like this if you want to be able to get it approved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dsxUDGQGOg
I just stumbled across this some time ago, but I don't know who it is.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that's correct size of a real tauntaun (IF it were to be real. They were technically called GIANT Tauntauns. There are several breeds of them(Nerd moment))

So, it would need be on scale, right? If so, I'll have to try something else I have on the back burner in case I couldn't achieve these. I do have an official character I could do that was in the movies.

Unfortunately, I can't construct something that massive, nor do I have the experience with sketching out the functionality of a suit that big.

I would like to be inside of the thing, not on top of it. I just wanted to try something no one had before, buuuuuut, I don't think that's going to happen at this time.

Quote:
This is a good video on the restoration of one of the film used heads.
I actually didn't know they had 4 nostrials until this video... learn something new each day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9v9KA7yASI

Thanks a lot for that, I've faved it for the future.

Thank you all for you input and comments, I appreciate it. I've got quite a while to think about this, if I really want to pour out my heart into it. I just don't have the money or the environment to build something like this, as much as I admire the technology and the illusion of play behind it.

I do want a costume approved, though, and I DO want to be an active member, but I must get a car first and some type of good income so I can support my hobby.

I think I'll update here on my tauntaun I have now, though, because I like to share my love for starwars! So stay tuned for more updates!

Yappity-Yappity!

tauntaun? Luke Warm!

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen an actual Tauntaun fur suit... That would be rather interesting.
There's someone in the Rebel Legion who has a Hoth trooper riding a Tauntaun and it looks pretty epic. Check out CarbonScore and maybe they can offer you some advice... http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=5134

In the meantime... Why not at least put together a Hoth trooper outfit... and then ride around on this? Laughing

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
I've never seen an actual Tauntaun fur suit... That would be rather interesting.
There's someone in the Rebel Legion who has a Hoth trooper riding a Tauntaun and it looks pretty epic. Check out CarbonScore and maybe they can offer you some advice... http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=5134

In the meantime... Why not at least put together a Hoth trooper outfit... and then ride around on this? Laughing

LOL I so told my wife about a week ago I want to do that at a con and she just laughed and said do it! LOL
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted in your other topic in Dantooine Base, but since this apparently the new topic, let me repost what I wrote there:

For your Tauntaun build I think the foam build up you have done is on the right track. Foam fabrication is a common technique for many costumes and props. Our garrison did a full scale Dewback as a two person costume using various types of foam.
The Dewback frame was built from PVC pipe, which was reasonably light and flexible, allowing the body and tail to flex in a realistic motion as the creature moved. The main body of the frame was filled out with semi-rigid packing foam (the kind that is often used to pack electronics). This was then surfaced with very thin sheet foam and finally the scales were created from army floor mats.

Bipedal dinosaurs have a similar anatomy to Tauntaun's and you could learn a lot from those who have built those as costumes.

You should also search for Walking with Dinosaurs or Raptor Costume, Dinosaur Costume, etc. on YouTube. They built some very realistic baby T-Rex and Utahraptor costumes for their show and used sacks filled with foam beads (the kind used in bean bag chairs) to fill out the body and make the muscles. Skin was created by using cloth which was stretched out over a frame and painted. When the skin was released from being stretched it crinkled and cracked; creating a realistic texture.

Also check out how Stan Winston studios built the raptor costumes for Jurassic Park. Raptor Costumes.

Try contacting CarbonScore, who built a pretty awesome Tauntaun costume.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
Blue Banshee Leader wrote:

LOL I so told my wife about a week ago I want to do that at a con and she just laughed and said do it! LOL

If I had a Hoth trooper costume I would so be doing it. I already have the Tauntaun hobby horse. Razz

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as attending troops if you did the TaunTaun fur suit, that would be up to the base Commanding Officer and the venue of the event.

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jada wrote:
As far as attending troops if you did the TaunTaun fur suit, that would be up to the base Commanding Officer and the venue of the event.

All right. If I do do this, whenever I have enough funds, lol, I shall make sure it's all right with them.

Yappity-Yappity!

tauntaun? Luke Warm!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: