About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a742149c9830753d8ce257a180bf7b13Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Crix's Chewy WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Crix's Chewy WIP Reply with quote

hey everyone. thought I would start a WIP...

not much WIP yet, but I have started...

started a thread at my home base Nar Shaddaa(IL WI)

http://rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43102&sid=1e82792e750449096a94631d60c3d436
but figured I could put one here too..
most of this is copied from there..

anyway..
research, research research
dizzy dizzy dizzy dizzy dizzy dizzy dizzy

found the mesh at Joanns 50% off, becaue of halloween Smile

I think I found the hair at a local shop here.

thats what I was thinking...

gunna bump it up a bit and go with

35 of the #27
7 of the #6
7 of the #4
20 of the #44
7 of the #280

they have #27 on back order for me so next time I go back, I am going to look for maybe 1 or 2 more brownish colors to mix... I'll see what they have

----------------
made a hackle(for blending hair) today.

havnt tried it yet

--------------------
well.... attempted a shirt... came out ok.. better than I thought it would seeing that I've never sewn before.

but its to tight Crying or Very sad
got to start over Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head

----------------------------------------------

second attempt...

made the neck hole smaller, the weight of the hair will most likely stretch that out..
made everything else bigger.. seems to fit ok now. arms sleeves are a little long, not sure where to cut those yet.. dont want to cut to short Shocked

so far, havnt used any fabric strips for the seams... I was concerned seams would not hold in the mesh with all the holes... but a few attempts to pull it apart it holds good.. .. so far so good. Dance Chewie

-----------------------------------------------

I am looking to reinforce the neck for sure.
not sure how I would do the other seams without making the shirt smaller... I dont want to make another one

I am testing straightening the hair
I tried hair dryer low heat... nothing really happen... maybe a little..
I was worried about going with high.. but didnt see any progress with low so figured give high heat a shot..

worked really good. put the dryer right up to the hair.. maybe 2-3 inches away on high heat.. moved up and down for maybe a minute.
the bottom is the hair I straighten with high heat.. top is the unheated hair from same package
Dance Chewie

--------------------------

attempted to make "hair drawing cards"
staples and some foam board I had laying around....
havnt tried it yet, but looks ok

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a side note...

has anyone ever contacted the C3PO builders? see if they would make a super lite 3po for a chewy to carry?

just curious. I think that would be fun

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crix wrote:
on a side note...

has anyone ever contacted the C3PO builders? see if they would make a super lite 3po for a chewy to carry?

just curious. I think that would be fun

You should talk to Tom S. (you know... Mayor of Star Wars)... and see if he would be willing to let you cast his stuff for a light weight set.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C3PO I carry on my back for my Chewie was a lucking find of ABS and a few pieces of fiberglass. It weighs 18lbs and pretty comfortable to carry the way I have it set up. Ive trooped for hours with it......

Chewy Layers snow to print
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stilts arrived today.
not as hard as I thought it would be
still gunna take some getting use to.

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Threepio parts are mostly vacuum formed ABS or styrene. I picked up the body from my best friend Corey (who is now building a Merumeru Wookiee). The detail parts are resin along with the hands being solid resin. The head was also solid resin and Corey kept that part. He originally bought the statue about 10 years ago on eBay. The source is unknown though I suspect Golden Armor based on how it is built.

I picked up a vacuum formed head by trading away my stilts back in September. A local member had a kit but was converting it to 4-LOM so the head was not needed.

Avoid Golden Armor. They have a reputation for delivering damaged goods and are a known recaster.

Your best bet is to contact Chris Bartlett aka TK-409 as well as the Threepio builders website. Most of the stuff out there is geared either towards building a costume or building a statue. You want parts geared for a costume, as statue builds will have many solid resin parts like the hands.

Some of the kits use metal pieces for the detail parts, or offer them as an alternative to resin. See which is lighter. Every little bit counts. Most of my parts are vacuum formed which are going to be lighter than fiberglass (though not as strong).

The pelvis/shorts and right calve are missing. You can also get rid of the back panel since it won't be seen and can be used to help mount the pack, allow ventilation for electronics, allow sound from speakers to escape, etc.

You will need every other part, though.

Many of Threepio's limbs are stuffed inside each other, with only the ends visible. The lower left leg is stuffed upside down inside the left thigh, and the left arm is stuffed inside the right thigh.
When I get around to building my Threepio prop I'll most likely cut away the parts that are hidden in order to reduce the weight.

It might be fun to ask some of the various Threepio parts makers to consider casting their large pieces in low-density urethane foam, and then compare the weight to the vacuum formed and fiberglass pieces.

Last edited by GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten) on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crix wrote:
stilts arrived today.
not as hard as I thought it would be
still gunna take some getting use to.

Super jealous! I should really bite the bullet and pick these up. But I'm almost finished with my foam platforms. Also I've been drawing out custom stilts in CAD.

Definitely post your tips on these stilts as you get used to them.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, hair dryer really makes a difference
top part, right out of bag no heat
bottom, heated with hair dryer

did a test with the hair and mesh... this might take awhile Shocked

made some adjustments to my stilts...
where the heel goes, it was all the way back, but it was uncomfortable..pushed on my leg.. I have a size 10 shoe. I moved the "heel" part all the way up. feels fine now.

also tighten the spring here a bit.. when I walk, I feel like it goes forward to easy.. feels a little better now, but I think I will tighten it a bit more

Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hair length is about 8" does that look right?
and the amount used look ok?

also about 1" apart.. that ok? should it be more or less?

Kurodor (David Obaidallah)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving this build. Soon we will be side by side..me as Han and you as Chewie!!

Ranger Squad CO
TK/ID - 4185 MWG
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I am gunna stop here and ask what you guys think..
I mixed #27 with a bit of 44,4,6,and 280

too much hair in each? not enough?
knots too close together? too far apart?
hair long enough?

Last edited by Crix () on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crix wrote:
ok I am gunna stop here and ask what you guys think..
I mixed #27 with a bit of 44,4,6,and 280

too much in each? not enough?
too close together? too far apart?
long enough?

Once again, I'm a total noob so don't take what I say with much weight but, From here it looks good. Cameras (even pro setups) are hard to judge color of this hair (especially inside vs outside). However it does look like a good shade. If I was to make a recommendation, make a note to yourself about how much you are mixing of each color. The reason being is if you need more hair in the future you'll want to know what colors and how much you used. Kinda like buying paint for your house, you want the color code for future purchases.

Also the length looks good, but also keep in mind as you move up the "root" of the hair will always be (based off of you measurements in the picture) 6"+ higher. That means you need to somewhat predict where you are going to start your grey pattern by about 6"or so.

Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crix wrote:
where the heel goes, it was all the way back, but it was uncomfortable..pushed on my leg.. I have a size 10 shoe. I moved the "heel" part all the way up. feels fine now.

also tighten the spring here a bit.. when I walk, I feel like it goes forward to easy.. feels a little better now, but I think I will tighten it a bit more

Also if you don't mind me asking, what is your height and weight? I'm going to be a fatter wookiee and I was just curious of what others with the Skywalker stilts are adjusting them too (foot and spring settings). Again I'll understand if you don't want to give out your body stats Wink

Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
Crix wrote:

Also if you don't mind me asking, what is your height and weight? I'm going to be a fatter wookiee and I was just curious of what others with the Skywalker stilts are adjusting them too (foot and spring settings). Again I'll understand if you don't want to give out your body stats Wink

I 6' tall and around 170lbs.

Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:

Once again, I'm a total noob so don't take what I say with much weight but, From here it looks good. Cameras (even pro setups) are hard to judge color of this hair (especially inside vs outside). However it does look like a good shade. If I was to make a recommendation, make a note to yourself about how much you are mixing of each color. The reason being is if you need more hair in the future you'll want to know what colors and how much you used. Kinda like buying paint for your house, you want the color code for future purchases.

Also the length looks good, but also keep in mind as you move up the "root" of the hair will always be (based off of you measurements in the picture) 6"+ higher. That means you need to somewhat predict where you are going to start your grey pattern by about 6"or so.

hopefully I have the all hair I need. I use the whole package of 27 and then equal amounts of the 4,6,280, and 44(equal to each other not the 27) mixed into it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: