About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3e35d08ebb68a6cd66c461e8b382f380Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic Jedi hair style tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_B ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Generic Jedi hair style tips? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been trying to find ideas for hair style tips for female generic Jedi costume standards? I have brown hair to below my shoulders.

Are there any dos and donts for up or down dos? What type of accessories are allowed, clips bobby pins, hair ties etc...

Thanks

"Sometimes it takes courage to stick to one's beliefs, young Padawan, as any Jedi well knows. "
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just make sure it looks in universe and wouldn't get in the way fighting - Jedi need to be practical. I use hair bands and bobby pins that match my hair (also brown) and pull it all back and then gel it into twists that I pin close to my head so that it cant fly around and hit me if I do a spin. I do do a padawans braid with my own hair and I do use colored small rubber bands on the top and bottom of that because you can see the wraps on Anakin's in the film. I like purple (its my favorite color) so I tend to use purple bands but they are so small and the color is dark like my hair they don't stand out a whole lot.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them with all different hair styles for women, but I have noticed most of them have shorter hair. Have you looked through Wookiepedia?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found for my mid back length I plait it and pin it over the top keeping it out of my face and in universe (but I am making a braided cord to go into the plait as I want something else added (Making braid using DMC embroidery threads that pretty much match costume colours)
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pull the top part back to a pony tail and leave the rest hanging down the back (like Qui-Gon)
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key with Jedi hair is to not make it look too modern or too wild. A Jedi's hair is always practical and well groomed. There's no fancy decorations I've seen, but leather ties are a good way to go. Adding little braids or tails, especcially in an unusual way is always a plus. If you can get it in a ponytail you can add a fake bun over it, even throw in some braids. Best thing to do is look at the background characters and see what they have going on.

Here's a couple of styles I've done.

3 small tails:
http://www.rebelshaven.com/images/costumes/jedi/jedi004.jpg

Bun with 4 hanging braids.. the bun itself is wrapped around a ring and the braids are fake hair
http://www.rebelshaven.com/images/costumes/jedi/jediv2003.jpg

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what Vera said. For me, I've noticed that the hair is something some Jedi costumers tend to not pay much attention to. In terms of braids, you could always use different colored embroidery floss for the padawan look. Smile

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo

Last edited by JedHead (Matt Tolosa) on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a fake braid, wrapped around my head like a headband... since my hair is short.

I've stopped using it since it no longer matches my hair color, but I really liked it when I did wear it.
Princess_B ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks guys

Some great ideas there that will help. Cheers.

Mr. Green

"Sometimes it takes courage to stick to one's beliefs, young Padawan, as any Jedi well knows. "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: