Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=91ceefa0c320e386173ada90befba93fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New member, costume WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok going for "what I real jedi would have" is a bit of a mind boggle of an idea because they would have things we simply don't. I consider not what would be real because its not real, I look at my costuming and thing what would they use on set. We did the hook and eye on a friend of mine's sith and it worked out well, the key is it HAS to be hand sewn so you can hide the look of it. Also this is a trick that I discovered on my Jedi that I am absolutely in love with. My sith would always more around a lot and the tunic would untuck and an hour in I would feel like I had to duck into the lou to rearrange my gear. So on my jedi I thought about having a form of 1 obis. I put on my inner tunic and then wrap my midsection with 6 inch bandages like for a sprained ankle or something. I did this just thinking it would hold the inner tunic closed and nothing more but in reality it did SOOOOOOO much more.

The inner obi acts as a limited corset that regulates my body shape, keeps my inner tunic closed, and because its a none slip material the binds the inner and out tunic so the outer tunic doesn't move on me like I had in the past. With the outer tunic not moving as much my tabards stay on my shoulder more (I still need to add my hooks but was still able to do some saber combat without them). The bandage wrap was really a break through that I never expected it was just the you know I could see a jedi wearing an inner obi too.
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus, that's a really cool discovery Smile

I didn't mean to say that I want everything a real Jedi might have; that would require a lot of things that haven't been invited yet, like you said, not to mention a real lightsaber. I simply meant that I want it to function like a real piece of clothing that could be worn all the time, without costuming shortcuts that make it feel less like the real deal to me. The snaps and unfinished tunics sort of break my suspension of disbelief, despite the fact that those features aren't visible.

I really need advice about the cloak, though. If anybody could offer their input about how they might go about fixing it, it would mean a lot. I can take more pictures, if necessary. I would also like to know if this robe would be approved as formal, or if this flaw will fail the test.
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the hood is your head all the way in the back of the hood? They made this hood to be huge, not as large as my sith hood mind you but still very large. When I pull my sith hood all the way to the back the front end comes to about my waist if that gives you any idea. It looks like this on:

and off my head like this:

The cloak used 9 yeards of fabric to make this to be very full and very heavy. The cloak is pretty straight forward until you hit the waist line area and then the panels flair out for more flow. This is the same robe:

Now to fix what you have might be really tricky, double so since we can't see it in person and not sure how all it was made. The easy way would be to add a trim to both sides of the front kind of like the tunic, but I am pretty sure that not the look you want. So another option could be to add some more to the side seam to pull it more out. The other options all include to figure out what can be reused and what needs to be re-cut. I'm pretty sure the sleeves and the back could be salvaged unless the sleeves and everything are all attached and wasn't sewn. If any of that makes sense...
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I figured out...
but can't explain why it is...
but..
outer tunics with a waist seam stay in place...

My first two outer tunics had no waist seam and I would be endlessly adjusting..
tabards, tunic, and everything would be out of whack 10 minutes after I got everything back in place.

I had a friend make me a pattern for an outer tunic with a waist seam...
I have made several outer tunics using that pattern now..
and..
for the most part....
I can put on my Jedi costume...and do events that are hours long and maybe adjust stuff once...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klo Unduli wrote:
That would be fine if I were okay with having a Jedi halloween costume, but I want authentic Jedi clothing (rather, what would be authentic if they existed; I want what a Jedi would actually wear).

Here's the thing, though - Jedi costumes are also a very personalized thing. Sure, there's a "minimal standard", but at the same time not every Jedi wears the EXACT same style. Cloaks in particular were something more personal as far as color, fabric, and cut style (in some cases, cloaks were given as gifts from Master to Padawan). If you take a really good look at all the different "named Jedi" in the movies, each one has a slightly different style to the way their clothes fit and fall.

I can understand wanting to make your costume feel "more authentic", but what you have right now is better than any "Halloween Jedi" on the market, so that alone should help you feel better about it. Also, I doubt there is a single person here who has not made and remade their Jedi costumes at least once - me included. Every costume is a learning experience (what to do, what NOT to do, where to make changes, etc). I already know that the next Jedi outfit I make will have changes in my pattern. ^^ (Yes, I'm already planning to remake my Jedi costumes again..) So don't feel discouraged because your first costume didn't come out perfect! *hug* Patience, Padawan. All things work out in the end. ^_^
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^____^ Thank you Sionna, that made me feel a lot better. I guess I was just grumpy because it didn't turn out just how I wanted it. Thanks for reminding me that there are variances between Jedi in regard to their clothes Smile

Gochi, my tunics do have waist seems, and I agree they are awesome Smile the fronts on mine just need to be extended and it will be fine.

Zazarus, yeah, my hood is huge; it looks exactly like yours from the back. The only thing it doesn't do is kind of flair out to the sides like yours does; it just kinda droops down.

I'm in much better spirits about it all today, and I'm back to being super excited Razz sorry for being a bit of a downer yesterday Razz
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klo Unduli wrote:
^____^ Thank you Sionna, that made me feel a lot better. I guess I was just grumpy because it didn't turn out just how I wanted it. Thanks for reminding me that there are variances between Jedi in regard to their clothes Smile

Glad to help. ^_^
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need advice about fixing the robe. If I just add extensions of the same material to both sides of the front, will that be approved for formal?
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welll, I just ordered the parts for my lightsaber from thecustomsabershop.com, and my food & energy capsules will be here soon too. Once those come in, I should be able to apply for approval as Formal and officially join the Rebel Legion!

I still need to know about my robe. Can anyone tell me who I could PM and ask?
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know youre worried about the robe but I would personally leave it the way it is and make another one in the future when you have more time etc. if you really want it to close up. your current one should pass for formal imo.

I pretty much never wear my robe closed like Obi wan in Aotc. I prefer the hood up or down but the front open so that people can clearly see the costume underneath. If you are fully covered, I personally think it looks a bit too much like a monks robe.

When people see the tunic, tabbards abd belt, they instantly say "Ah cool, nice Jedi". Thats just my opinion of course. I like the way the robes hang off the shoulders in the prequels.

Let me know when you get your saber parts, happy to help and lend advice. Smile
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandatrooper wrote:
I know youre worried about the robe but I would personally leave it the way it is and make another one in the future when you have more time etc. if you really want it to close up. your current one should pass for formal imo.

I pretty much never wear my robe closed like Obi wan in Aotc. I prefer the hood up or down but the front open so that people can clearly see the costume underneath. If you are fully covered, I personally think it looks a bit too much like a monks robe.

When people see the tunic, tabbards abd belt, they instantly say "Ah cool, nice Jedi". Thats just my opinion of course. I like the way the robes hang off the shoulders in the prequels.

Let me know when you get your saber parts, happy to help and lend advice. Smile

Thanks for the offer; I'll definitely do that! I didn't order any powder coating, so it should ship pretty soon. Also, I didn't order any electronics this time 'round, but I may need help attaching the covertec clip to the saber.

Do you know who I could PM about the robe? I want it to be able to close (mostly because I want to be able to walk in the rain and stay dry; it's more a practical issue than aesthetic), but it's paramount that it's approvable for Formal.
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klo Unduli wrote:

Thanks for the offer; I'll definitely do that! I didn't order any powder coating, so it should ship pretty soon. Also, I didn't order any electronics this time 'round, but I may need help attaching the covertec clip to the saber.

Do you know who I could PM about the robe? I want it to be able to close (mostly because I want to be able to walk in the rain and stay dry; it's more a practical issue than aesthetic), but it's paramount that it's approvable for Formal.

With enough of the rest of the optional components, the robe won't even need to be judged. I understand your stressing, but it isn't as big an issue as you're making it out to be.

That said, I plan on getting a new robe at some point from MM.
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drazhar wrote:
Klo Unduli wrote:

With enough of the rest of the optional components, the robe won't even need to be judged. I understand your stressing, but it isn't as big an issue as you're making it out to be.

That said, I plan on getting a new robe at some point from MM.

I still want to be able to wear the robe at formal events, so it's important to me that it is acceptable as Formal. All I need is for someone to tell me the username of the appropriate judge so I can ask Sad
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klo Unduli wrote:
...it's important to me that it is acceptable as Formal. All I need is for someone to tell me the username of the appropriate judge so I can ask Sad

You may ask Phyllis, Sarah, Ally or me. Smile See my answer below.
Klo Unduli wrote:
...she fixed the robe somewhat, although it is still not nearly good enough...

...can anyone tell me if the hood looks right?...

I refer the right honourable Jedi to my most recent comment. Smile

Klo Unduli wrote:

...It is definitely WAY too small across the chest...

...I really want my costume to be the best it can be.

Klo,

Answering in no particular order:

The robe, hood and all, look fantastic. Obi-Wan's is made of a much thicker and heavier fabric than yours, that's why his hood doesn't sag. Your hood has a very graceful amount of fold at the shoulders.

Looking at the image of you holding the front closed, notice the very nice drape and waves at the hem. You definitely have enough ease in the overall size.

Lastly, looking at your self-critical comments made me smile. It is great to have another perfectionist in the Legion. Let your own quality standards dictate this and future projects. They already meet and exceed what is required.

Go make some pouches and a clip for your weapon. You will have no issues with formal acceptance.

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the honorable General has stated more clearly than I managed. You already meet the requirements and can hold your head high if you so desire.

I too am grateful to see someone who pushes themselves!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: