About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=abfe5f5471ef4f64ffe4e9b293e8e524Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Pouches

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Jedi Pouches Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mastermagnius/8955347368/

DSCN7261 by Master Magnius, on Flickr

2. Two (or more) utility pouches or resin cast utility boxes.
a. Leather or leather-like material or resin cast boxes are preferred.
b. The paint scheme on resin cast boxes should blend well with the overall costume.
c. Bags are not pouches, and are not permitted to serve as a pouch/box option.

I know we are in a state of updating our Jedi Standards . This is the pouch on my costume ... The responce is that they look too medivial ... yet there is nothing on this standard that states no Medivial style pouches .... so i need some input .. what is wrong withthe pouch , and besides the carved wodden / resin one . what would then be an allowed pouch ...

So if there is no medi / rennie type pouches . that really should be added to standard ...
RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on this case i dont think it has nothing to do with the new standards, they might resemble something similar they are not accepted for Generic Jedi...

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well these were the pouches i wear for my already approved Generic Jedi character ... so I assumed that if they were allowed for the older costume then i assumed they would be good enough for the new costume .

So I jsut assumed that they are no longer permmitted under the new standard , because if they were allowed for my other Jedi, then there should be no reason as to why they would be allowed for thsi one ..

so if that is the case and htey are no longer approvable ... what would then be an allowed pouch , I do not wish to repeatedly by such a small part of the costume for approval ....

thanks for any assisantace .
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Magnius,

There's some good info in these links for acceptable jedi pouches-

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44773

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36268

http://www.padawansguide.com/pouches.shtml

Smile

Member of:
- Rebel Legion - Elstree Base
- Mandalorian Mercs - Vok'Chi Clan
- 501st - UK Garrison
RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!! Thank Sarah those are awesome tutorials Ben

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, no prop or costume component should be readily recognizable as belonging to an Earth bound culture (renaissance, pirate, Celtic, Native American, Japanese, etc.) or another scifi/fantasy genre.

Also, a "pouch/box" for Jedi utility belts should resemble those most commonly seen in the films. While there are leather "bags" used by some face characters (Jocasta Nu, Old Ben) these are not the kinds of "pouches" the LCJs are looking for, and are considered face character specific.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to follow this - your costume was rejected because of the pouch, is that correct?

I can see the Reni styling to the pouch.....

When your generic was approved, did you have the other optional items? Maybe the pouches were 'ignored' in favor of the other accessories?

Dave
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mastermagnius/8971568839/

424127_10150560629337032_937641699_n by Master Magnius, on Flickr

here was the previous costume ....

Now my issue is not the pouch , they want it changed that is fine ... not really an issue ... the only concern is the vaguness of the standard ... if all they want is either the resin pouch , or the narrow leather pouch , then simply state that... it would save people time ... dont create a written expression of flexibility , and not expect people to be flexible .. now for me i wasjsut using a costume part form the approved costume i currnetly wear .... and i did not have to spend money on that . but i woudl hate someone that spent money on a pouch , to be told it is a bag , and it is not approvable ... especially if htye already have in their mind how they wish to interpret the standard ....

I would simply state the standard is ..

either a resin / wood pouch
anakin style leather pouch ....

I am stating these concerns , not for me , but for those that will develop a costume and purchased or made somehting expecting it to fit htesntdard ...and to find out htey are not ....
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jedi outfit was inspired by Edo period samurai, from the kimono, to the kataginu, to the obi. However, nowhere in the Star Wars universe do you find any real world cultural inspiration…

Well, there is Amidala’s wardrobe which was inspired by (and sometimes directly copied from)…
Red Invasion Dress=Chinese Qing Dynasty ceremonial gown; Return to Naboo Gown=Titian's Portrait of Caterina Cornaro, Queen of Cyprus as Saint Catherine of Alexandria; Coruscant Pre-Senate Costume=Empress Theodora Byzantine headdress on a Japanese formal mourning gown; Senate Costume=Mongolian Wedding Dress; Queen’s Battle Costume=Direct Replica of Princess Aura’s battle dress in several issues of Flash Gordon. And that’s just Episode I. Not to mention, her burial gown was a direct copy of a Celtic goddess painting.

Article II of the Club Charter states nothing about real-world influences, only that three reference sources are required for an informal approval. The first reference source is Old Ben and his pouch. The second reference is Mara Jade Green Dress and her pouch. The third reference is Jocasta Nu and her pouch. That is your three according to the charter, since you are already an official member, which is all that is required. I would definitely take this up with the LMO because you are already a member and going for an informal costume.

The fact that you were previously approved as formal before the standard, and we have the word of the Assistant LMO that states that a previously approved costume is still approvable under the new standards, and that your bag was part of your formal costume, it is unknown why it is no longer approvable.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
I would definitely take this up with the LMO because you are already a member and going for an informal costume.

This seems to be the "buzz thing" to do of late when an LCJ asks for corrections, either start a thread on the RL calling for public outrage or taken to Facebook to be done there. NOT a cool way to handle a situation.

If anyone has a complaint in the way that their LCJ is handling their application, please send me a PM & I would be most happy to assist in looking into th complaint for them.

As for the pouches....

...standards change, LCJ's come & go & opinions differ. That is why something that was approved once may not be approved again. Last time they were approved we had ORJ & NRJ for starters.

The argument that it....." doesn't say you can't do that" in standards is illogical. It doesn't state I can't glue popcorn all over my outer tunic either, perhaps I should. How do you cater for EVERYTHING that *might* come up that won't be acceptable.

These bags were deemed "of an earthly like appearance" by the whole team of LCJ's currently sitting. Not one of them thought they would be seen in the Star Wars universe. I agree with that judgement.

The standards do currently state:

Earth bound, period or culture (Renaissance, Celtic, Asian, tribal, etc.) and other sci-fi/fantasy accessories are not permitted.

The Generic Jedi standards are currently being debated by the KJO Command Staff & an official update will be forth coming as soon as possible. In the mean time we do the best we can with the gray area.

I reiterate, if you have an issue with an LCJ's judgement or the way they are talking to you or anything at all, please message me, I am always going to listen to your concerns.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: