About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=abeab8e2ae1daaf369cf26626caad75cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

making my old tunic & tabbards better - a Jedi WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: making my old tunic & tabbards better - a Jedi WIP Reply with quote

I decided the best way to motivate myself to keep going on a project is to make a Work In Progress thread/log. I'm hoping to convert my original Jedi costume (generic Jedi, as it belongs to an old RPG character of mine), which was made in 1999 as my first sewing project for clothing, into a new-ish Jedi altogether. Originally my costume was based upon the Jedi of the prequel-era, despite my character being New Republic-born.

Onward to the photos of the original!

The original Jedi belt. I hand-made the pouch at the last minute.. ^^; This also shows my food capsules, holoprojector (completely made of Model Magic), and communicator.

( http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/JediSaiyajinMars/cosplay/props/lightsabre/swproject.jpg --That poor lightsabre that I never finished building… ;-; Somewhere on that mess of a table is the original concept drawing..)

This was never finished, but I ended up just coloring it with gold and silver gel pens because I got bored one day. I also never painted the blade to be purple despite all my planning..

That would be original costume. Hold on, I've got a different picture somewhere that shows both my costumes (I made two)….

Friend of mine wore my Jedi costume while I wore my black one. Both outfits are in desperate needs of remakes…

Just leaving this here because I love my black cloak with the blue velvet… ^^;; (I've worn the costume with an orange-bladed saber as well…)

( http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/JediSaiyajinMars/SW%20Weekends%20MGM%2003/3632.jpg --Final picture from (Star Wars Weekends) 2003 of the old outfit.)

------

Okay, so, that's the old one. Moving right along, as previously stated I want to fix this costume. So to start, I want to use different boots. If these are acceptable, then I can plan for the new belt to be along the same color.

They have a small side-zipper. (see photo here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/JediSaiyajinMars/cosplay/Star%20Wars%20-%20WIP/2012-10-11031120.jpg )

So I put the old cloak, tabards, and obi on the dress form (the battlemaiden parts are on the table and chair behind it.. ^^;; ) just to get some pictures. (( Clicky for a picture of just the old set. ))

Next I want to show the new materials I've gotten to make new parts for this.

The gauze will become a new tunic while the leather-like material (from the "costume leather/pleather/vinyl" section) will become new tabards. ^_^

EDIT: I actually own two sets of Staedler liquid gel pens that I wanted to harvest the caps for new food capsules.. Unfortunately, I have not yet "killed off" the pens and I really would rather not have them go to waste by just swiping the caps.. ^^;;
Jace Darkrider (Ian Letendre)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great start to a new beginning. Smile
KJO Council 2012-2013
DCO Stormfront Temple 2010-2013
CO/XO Bespin Base 2004-2006
TI/IC 1074, 501st Legion
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll probably be using my old Ep 2 MR FX Anakin sabre in the mean time with this (until I can afford to actual make my character's sabre complete with purple blade)...

JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress! Tunic is almost done...

Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tunic is gorgeous! I couldn't find gauze that was properly opaque like that; may I ask where you bought it?

Also, I can't wait to see leather tabards!
Commander_Barriss (Sarah)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking really good. Smile

WIP threads are a great way to keep yourself on track and get advice if you need it.
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! ^_^ The material is cotton gauze I got from JoAnn. (This in natural.) I'm looking forward to doing the tabbards, myself! The material I got is actually a foiled/printed microsuede, and incredibly lightweight compared to microsuedes I've used previously.

The part that's going to be hardest for me to do on this costume is the belt. I have little experience in leather work.. :/
Jace Darkrider (Ian Letendre)
Legion Council
Legion Council

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a particular style you are looking for with the belt? Color or anything fancy?
KJO Council 2012-2013
DCO Stormfront Temple 2010-2013
CO/XO Bespin Base 2004-2006
TI/IC 1074, 501st Legion
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two kinds I want to make, though one can wait a bit.. The one I need sooner for this costume is the prequel style belt. Color would be a brown, close to my boots if possible. I know there's a Tandy store in Tampa (been there a couple times), but it's been a long time since I worked with leather..
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might bring in a picture of what you need and see if you can get some help and use their tools, I know mine will do that if you ask.
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
You might bring in a picture of what you need and see if you can get some help and use their tools, I know mine will do that if you ask.

*nod* I'll keep that in mind. Sadly, though, I have to wait for a couple paychecks before I'll have the extra money. T_T

In the meantime- progress!

Next is to cut out and do the tabbards, but that'll have to be tomorrow. I'm waay too tired tonight..
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Mihunai's tutorial (found here) to create my belt with very little leatherworking experience. Definitely bring your boots into Tandy and ask them for advice about dying the belt to match; I ended up with yellow-brown boots and a red-brown belt because I didn't ask >_<
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the companies have fliers that have the color of the dyes to help match it but the best way is to have some extra leather to test on to see if the color is going to be right. Dying leather is not easy and can mess up pretty quick unless you are doing black.

A couple of tricks I have learned is that damp leather spreads color across it better than dry leather and if the color is coming out too dark because of the color you picked or (in my case) you get a bit heavy handed on your passes, try diluting the dye with water, I have had really good luck with diluting the alcohol dyes with some water to get the color better.
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep that in mind, thanks!

I took a break from the costume this weekend since work decided no costumes this year. :/ In the mean time, I've been thinking of using my old tabbards along with new ones but doing some embroidery work on the old ones.. Hm.. If I come up with a design, I'll share it. ^^
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I did some work on this, work has been killing me. x.x

I came up with an idea for incorporating the silver highlights of my character without having to either dye my hair or put in weaves. I dug through some costume type jewelry I had and found one that would make a pretty headdress. From there, I weaved in some white (with a couple strands of blue) wig hair to give the effect of the highlights.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: