About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards
 

Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cf117b391f37255da240fd4230322116Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

chewy WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO


Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 12138
Location: Mokena IL
Medals: 11 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idea about the pattern sounds like a solid idea Crix...

nicely done!!
_________________


http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Crix ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 2038

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Your idea about the pattern sounds like a solid idea Crix...

nicely done!!


hope so. we shall see


picked up some more wookiee hair today


_________________



CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Crix ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 2038

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made a hackle(for blending hair) today.

havnt tried it yet



_________________



CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO


Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 12138
Location: Mokena IL
Medals: 11 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a Medieval torture device..

Shocked
_________________


http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Crix ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 2038

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a video of a hackle in use, if anyone was curious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxWs79J4pUY
_________________



CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO


Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 12138
Location: Mokena IL
Medals: 11 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crix wrote:
here's a video of a hackle in use, if anyone was curious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxWs79J4pUY



Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked


ohmigod....
that is a LOT of work!
_________________


http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Commander_Barriss (Sarah)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Posts: 2428
Location: South Australia, Australia
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Phyllis Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

As for the photos I can't seem to find them I'll take some more when I catch up with Firebird again but in the mean time it's basically like a binding. If you have a look at your Jedi tunic you have the binding around the neck opening and you'd do this in the same way. I'll find my photos or just take some more and post them asap. Smile
_________________
"It's not the size of the Jedi or the amount of power running through her lightsaber, but the strength of her heart."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Zombie_Bunny (Janine Jender)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 599

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Crix wrote:
here's a video of a hackle in use, if anyone was curious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxWs79J4pUY



Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked


ohmigod....
that is a LOT of work!



I had the same thought!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kurodor (David Obaidallah)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 787
Location: Woodridge, IL
Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder why it takes a long time to make this costume, however...I'm still looking forward to seeing the progress of this!!!

Smile
_________________


Ranger Squad CO
TK/ID - 4185 MWG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO


Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 12138
Location: Mokena IL
Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol....maybe we could all take turns helping...

that video was amazing to see those vibrantly colored hair strands "disappear" into the total effect...

I would imagine it will be awkward at first...but you will definitely pick up speed as you go along...
_________________


http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 5809

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Crix!

You may also want to look into a way to store your hair once you have completed mixing it (hackling). You will loose a ton of hair post hackling if you do not store it properly. The other thing you will want to do is come up with a solid formula of how much hair you need of each color before you hackle so the blend is the same in each pack. Ince you find a good blend you may want to spend some time measuring out shanks of hair before hand ... then hackle.
_________________
RL Han Solo Archive and information
Han Archive via Photbucket
My Holster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Crix ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 2038

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Looks good Crix!

You may also want to look into a way to store your hair once you have completed mixing it (hackling). You will loose a ton of hair post hackling if you do not store it properly. The other thing you will want to do is come up with a solid formula of how much hair you need of each color before you hackle so the blend is the same in each pack. Ince you find a good blend you may want to spend some time measuring out shanks of hair before hand ... then hackle.


not sure how I am going to store it yet.. in that video he used some kind of cards.. maybe I'll look for something like that..

and the ratio of the blend, I found a few post on that. once I get ready to go. I'll make sure the mix is the same. with a few modifications when I get to the color change .. brown to grey.. and back again
#27(strawberry blond) is my main color..
will be mixing #6(chestnut brown) and #4(dark brown) and very little #44 until I get closer to the grey

then #44(grey) becomes the main color
will be mixing a little #280(smoke) and some #27 (strawberry blond)

but I'll have a better grasp on how much of each, once I get started
working on sewing the suit right now
_________________



CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 5809

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a name for that card that holds the hair together... can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

The idea is that it holds the hair in place so you can pull hair out as you hook hair... without it tangling up.

I now many of the guys mix 2-3 colors per shank of hair they hackle for Chewie. I did not latch hook my hair, but if I were to go that route I would deffinatly use more than 3. My hair has over 10 different shades and colors. Even the blond/brown hair Chewie has is supposed to have a few grey hairs in it.

This is where I think hackling hair helps out. Take your time and get the blend right! Smile

Bob
_________________
RL Han Solo Archive and information
Han Archive via Photbucket
My Holster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kurodor (David Obaidallah)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 787
Location: Woodridge, IL
Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
lol....maybe we could all take turns helping...

that video was amazing to see those vibrantly colored hair strands "disappear" into the total effect...

I would imagine it will be awkward at first...but you will definitely pick up speed as you go along...


I was thinking the same thing.

Thumbs up
_________________


Ranger Squad CO
TK/ID - 4185 MWG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Crix ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 2038

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
There is a name for that card that holds the hair together... can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

The idea is that it holds the hair in place so you can pull hair out as you hook hair... without it tangling up.

I now many of the guys mix 2-3 colors per shank of hair they hackle for Chewie. I did not latch hook my hair, but if I were to go that route I would deffinatly use more than 3. My hair has over 10 different shades and colors. Even the blond/brown hair Chewie has is supposed to have a few grey hairs in it.

This is where I think hackling hair helps out. Take your time and get the blend right! Smile

Bob


that makes sense
I do have to go back to that hair store to get the back order of the #27.. they had other colors too.. I'll take a look..
they are only $2 a bag. wouldnt hurt to pick of a few more... I know they had hot pink Laughing .. wonder how that would look.. might be good for MSABC walk
_________________



CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group