About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1d498d9c5221792e84d0e0effd7a0fa1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hello from Boynton Beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ra Kura Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sauve1989 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Hello from Boynton Beach Reply with quote

Hi everyone. My name is Steve and I met some of you this weekend at Megacon. I'm a member of the Mandalorian Mercs, and I am looking to start on making a custom Jedi. Any help or advice would be appreciated, as sewing is a bit beyond my skill set for the moment.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve! Personally, I think Jedi are a great place to start with both Rebel Legion costuming and sewing.

You say that "sewing is a bit beyond my skill set for the moment"... does that imply that there's an interest? If so, I'd say give it a shot! My Jedi costume was the first thing I ever sewed (the pillow in 1st grade doesn't count) and my first time using a sewing machine. It took some time reading and watching YouTube videos, but it's a really good and forgiving first project. Roger has written up an excellent tutorial here: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29112 I will say there are a couple of parts that weren't clear to me when I made mine (the collar and sleeve orientation), but overall it was pretty easy. If you go this route, let me know and I can be more specific on those points.

The Jedi section of the boards have a lot of information on the different parts of the costume. I've seen some vendors that members have had luck with in the past, and some that are generally avoided. I'm sure you'll see it in that forum, but with any of the purchased costumes, the fact that someone has made an approvable costume in the past doesn't mean anything purchased from them will be approvable. It'll depend on how well it fits you, etc.
Ra Kura Base CO
Ra Kura Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from Boynton Beach Reply with quote

Sauve1989 wrote:
Hi everyone. My name is Steve and I met some of you this weekend at Megacon. I'm a member of the Mandalorian Mercs, and I am looking to start on making a custom Jedi. Any help or advice would be appreciated, as sewing is a bit beyond my skill set for the moment.

Hey there!!!

I would also say that we have many jedis here in Florida that can be of assistance. If you are looking for help. (Me personally I can not sew a straight line if my life depended on it)!!!

Have you thought about colors?

While the CRLs do state earth tones, I would like you to know upfront that if one of your main goals is to march in a SWW that the coloros for the jedis need to be browns, oatmeals, blacks, beiges.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Welcome Steve Reply with quote

Welcome Steve. As Rogue9607 said, The forums have a lot of good information and this link is a good start http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29112 . The Jedi Assembly http://thejediassembly.com/ also has some good tutorials there. As far as sewing it isn't that difficult. The tunic is the hardest part after that the items are pretty simple and parts are easily obtainable. Just remember to pick the colors of your Jedi IAW the Crl. No Reds or Black tabards/tunics. Also if you decide on black boots the belt must also be black. Tandy Leather is a great supplier for belts materials. Some Ebay belts are acceptable but won't last long depending on how much you troop in it. If you decide to purchase something put a Work in Progress thread on the Jedi Tutorials in the forum. You will get a lot more info and ideas there. Don't spend a lot of money on something and then find out it won't be acceptable. Good luck and we are here to help out just ask.
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Ra Kura! Amadalia
Bespin Escape Leia (all finished except the pix!)
Breha Organa (Planning/acquiring materials; dye testing)
Sauve1989 ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the information! I am definitely interested in learning to sew (anything to add another skill right?) and I'm happy to hear that it is a good starting place. Color wise I was leaning toward a forest green for my outer cloak, but I will probably reconsider that if it would prevent me from marching at SWW. My mother also just expressed interest in making a Jedi of her own, and she wants to incorporate some blues she said. From what I've read that's acceptable provided they are muted?
Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul)
Ra Kura Base CO
Ra Kura Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sauve1989 wrote:
Thank you for all the information! I am definitely interested in learning to sew (anything to add another skill right?) and I'm happy to hear that it is a good starting place. Color wise I was leaning toward a forest green for my outer cloak, but I will probably reconsider that if it would prevent me from marching at SWW. My mother also just expressed interest in making a Jedi of her own, and she wants to incorporate some blues she said. From what I've read that's acceptable provided they are muted?

For SWW jedi only browns oatmeals and blacks are accepted.

Any other jedi - before you buy the fabric I would send a pic to boards or costume judge to ask advice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question, are any designs allowed on robes for SWW? In the standards for generic jedi it says any non earth design can be allowed on tabards.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audrey would be the better one to answer what's being allowed for SWW...

My take is that if it's acceptable to the costume judges and in the right colors, then it would be okay for SWW. The non-earth design clause in the standards essentially means it has to fit with the Star Wars Jedi look (not a Japanese scroll for example). The main precedent for this is Jocasta Nu (Jedi Librarian), but I'm sure there are others.

Having said that... my suggestion, if you're interested in doing SWW as well as incorporating colors that aren't allowed in SWW, is to do your tunic in an acceptable brown/oatmeal/black and make one set of obi/tabards of the same fabric without any designs. This should give you a very traditional Jedi that could be worn anywhere. Then, make another set of obi/tabards in a the colors you wanted (green for yourself, blue for your mother, etc) and incorporate your designs on that. You'd then have several combinations of tunic, obi, and tabards that you can mix and match for most events and a traditional Jedi for formal events.
Ra Kura Base CO
Ra Kura Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sauve1989 wrote:
One more question, are any designs allowed on robes for SWW? In the standards for generic jedi it says any non earth design can be allowed on tabards.

It would depend on design. If it is subtle then maybe. Without seeing the design it is hard to say. And requirements for SWW do change year to year.

Robes are not required for SWW. The robes for SWW would need to be brown though and not green.

I would do as Nick suggests (actually that is what I am going to be doing for my jedi).

I plan on having my formal cannon that can be used for SWW then I also plan on having Christmas jedi; Breast Cancer jedi, and of course Cincinnati Bengals jedi (you know just in case I need it)!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for being so helpful. I really do appreciate it. For the time being I'm going to just make a traditional costume. My mother doesn't care about SWW weekends she said, so she'll probably still wind up making something more colorful lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ra Kura Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: