Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=43e81433e0a76017f4cd6e1bdeb9d282Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi costume in works
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culurien A'jelor ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Jedi costume in works Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I introduced myself in the Bespin Base forums, and am posting some costume photos here. These are rough pictures of my Jedi costume, as it was at Dragon*Con, with short descriptions. Let me know what you think! I'm actively working on a proper belt and food capsules, the finally pieces that I need to be canon. After that I'm hoping to join up with you all asap. I'm SO excited about it!!

Costume without the robe: the inner tunic, tabards, and boots

inner tunic = oatmeal colored crinkle-cotton
tabards = chocolate brown crinkle-cotton
boots = Durangos, from Horse Town, women's 12" Westin Grey (leather)
No belt is in this picture

Costume at Dragon*Con: in addition to above, includes brown wool robe, a simple cream colored shirt underneath tunic (not really visible) and make-shift belt that I made (not totally canon: does not have accurate studs or a proper belt buckle).

Another picture, with saber, an Ultra Saber Consular hilt, with green LED. Has sound. A present from my hubby. Smile Saber attaches to belt with a Covertech clip. I also made my own simple saber, out of a sink pipe, parts from Home Depot and junk in the garage. Here's a picture of it, below:

Will update with better pictures of all sides, once I add the finishing touches (proper belt, food capsules and eventually pouches).

P.S. I will be looking on forums, but I am wondering what distinguishes an Old Republic from a New Republic Jedi. If anyone has advice about where to get pouches or how to make them, that'd be awesome too. I have a few ideas I'm plotting. Smile
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great after you get your final parts you should fly through the aproovele process. From what I can see a belt and one more optinal item and you will be good. Also got the same saber with sound and the QD great saber!

18 " aggressive negotiations "
Culurien A'jelor ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Other pieces Reply with quote

Thanks much!! I am really looking forward to exploring forums, trying to be active, attend some events, and the like! I also hope to make other Jedi costumes, eventually.

Yes, the saber is awesome - I also got the QD, with guardian blue and adegan silver colors. >.> I like blue, and my saber in SWTOR is white, so I couldn't resist.
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool well if you ever need any help or have ? Feel free to PM me I have a very good response time. Are you buying belt or making it? I got my belt pleather comes in black or brown with 3 pouches and 6 food caps all open and work for about $60. I have QD in G. Blue yellow perpule
Red green. I know a guy on FX saber forum who makes them for a better price then ultra and I had a very bad falling out with emmory and will no longer buy from them BUT they make a great product.

JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! That Ultra Saber Consular is a nice saber. I got it when it first came out and was on sale. What I've found is the batteries need charging before every event or the run down during it.

I have tutorials on making your own belt from leather
Culurien A'jelor ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Belt Reply with quote

I will probably buy a belt, in the end - met a Jedi (Nova Darklighter) who pointed me to someone who makes belts in the Jedi Assembly, so I'm checking with him first.

How did you make yours? Feel free to PM me on that. I've seen some great belt tutorials out there, and will continue to be looking things up.

Since this is my first costume, and accuracy is important to me, I did not make the majority of it (I've never really sewn before). >.> It was also kind of sprung on me last minute as a bday idea for Dragon*Con, and I didn't have a whole lot of time to work with. I found a theater company who does theater/production costumes for a good price, who sewed it for me. I know, I kind of feel like it's cheating. :/ But, basically, I wanted to have a base costume that I really liked, then branch out from there, to make others myself, including accessories. The food capsules I'm going to do myself. Was looking into that recently. They seem pretty simple to do well.

Some day, I'd love to make a Barriss Offee or Old Republic specific costume. We'll see what happens! Until then, I'm going to help my hubby with getting together a commando suit - he's looking to do Old Republic commando or Clone Wars Commando (similar to Rex). Costuming is totally more addicting than I expected. Stepping into that Jedi costume... *huge eyes* ... nothing like it in the world.

@Kai - yes, I ran down my batteries during one day very easily, but at least they are rechargeable. ^^ I'll check out your belt tutorial!
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I alway come with 2 pairs of extra battery's for myself or others who may need them. I also come with cloths pins as well incase you or some one needs them.

JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Nova (been TJA for years and was on the Council)! She is an excellent resource!

My belt was my very first leather project ever. It's not that hard but one does need a few tools (which I had as my husband has made SCA armor).

My photo belt tutorial continues to get about 10-20 visits a day, after years.
http://public.fotki.com/kait/star_wars/tutorials/ There are two different ones. The newer one may be the most screen accurate as the source for it stated he'd examined the screen used belts. It was discussed here on RL Jedi forum but a couple years ago.

Also available as a pdf download:
http://home.comcast.net/~jedikai/
Culurien A'jelor ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Tutorial Reply with quote

Oh, what a wonderful tutorial!! That is beautiful and just what I needed. Very Happy I had been having trouble finding the little plastic bobbles on the ends for the pens. Thanks much for the links!! I'm buying some of the plastic bits now. Very Happy

Question:

1) Why is it necessary to remove the pen clip and then put it back? Is it so that it can be properly painted? That would make sense. The orientation seemed about the same.

2) It seems minimum order for the bobbles in $20 - two packs of 5 is $4.50. Is there a way around this, or should I just order $20 worth? >.> He he, if so, I'll have enough capsules bobbles for ALL MY COSTUMES!! lol

P.S. @forceflaw - carrying around batteries and clothes pins is a *great* idea! I will remember that.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the record...I generally don't remove the clip from the pen caps to paint...
it gives a cleaner look if you do...
but
I honestly sand the clip too and paint the whole thing...

but..
each Jedi has his/her way of doing things...

Your costume looks very nice btw...I love traditional Jedi garb...

it looks so...
well..
Jedi-ish

Wink

and....to Nova you listen..
she knows of what she speaks..
I have known Nova now for 10 years as I am also on the Council for The Jedi Assembly...

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed a nice looking Jedi you have there Wink

As for the pencaps, having made a few dozen myself,
I simply ordered in 'bulk' to save cost, and sold the surplus to
(almost) pay for the ones I needed...

You can however look for retailers on the Plastruct website.
While Plastruct themselves won't sell individually, the retailers
will.

For painting btw, I removed the clips,
sanded the base, the clip and the domes, glued the domes
on, base coated once, colour coated twice, attached the (painted) clips
and clearcoated the entire assembly twice.

The clearcoat pretty much glues the clip in nice and snug...

The advantage of removing the clip is, you can paint the =entire= clip.
Including the edges. People tend to forget the edges...
It gives it that solid metal feel (especially for the copper and gold coloured ones).

Sorry for the long post, just my 2ct.
Culurien A'jelor ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Food Capsules Reply with quote

Schph Gochi - thanks much! Yes, Nova was awesome. I wish I could remember the names of the other people I saw there. All really cool people.

Mihunai - No worries on the long post! I really enjoyed reading it. Very cool to meet other people who love SW as much as I do, are so very helpful, and don't think I'm weird!

I appreciate the tips - yes, that makes sense, about the pen caps. Good to know the layers of painting you did, too. I like the idea of clear coating the whole thing. Sounds like it would protect it and make it last longer as well.

*Purchased the plastic pieces! I'm that much closer to getting my costume done! ^^
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help Wink

Also, on a little side note, gloss coats are more prone to scratching
than matte coats.

And I also strongly recommend (if you decide to 'store' them on the belt)
wrapping them in some paper towels.

That said, good luck with your application Wink
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dacen Salu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will update with better pictures of all sides, once I add the finishing touches (proper belt, food capsules and eventually pouches).

Mel Mattson does some incredible leather belts/pouches, she's over in
Mountain base....she does both Obi/Ani style. good luck with this.

The Force fights WITH me!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: