About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=222cd58893bb805ac988378cab640261Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hair issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmerritt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Hair issues Reply with quote

Ok, so I have hair issues. Attached is a picture or two of my very short hair. I do a slave Leia and that is a pain and never looks good...so always hunting for a good solution on that, but today I am asking about ANH. I really don't have enough hair on the sides of my head to grab ahold of any clip on/comb on/etc bun, so I need to go full wig. Does anyone have a resource to get a Legion approvable wig with them built in? I'd even commission someone.

I'm just caught in the delimma of what to troop. Hubby is working on my Hoth Leia, which is cool and my Aayla is a pain cause of the paint and we keep getting complaints about my Slave Leia. Yes, complaints up here in progressive Seattle. Who would have known. So a classic Leia sounds like a good backup for when I don't want to grundge it up with my Jawa.

So help, please!

[/img]
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do my hair with extensions, but ever since going ginger, I can't do that anymore. I went with a "costume" Leia wig (I think it was the deluxe one for about $30) and then bought really long extensions and coiled them around the buns on the costume wig. The extensions completely cover the braided costume buns to look more like the original. Those were pinned into place very securely and then fine hair nets in the matching hair shade wrapped on top to keep fly-aways at bay. I've been using the same wig for almost 2 years now and haven't had to re-do it yet.
You will need a wig head (or a willing person to wear the wig) while styling. I found a foam head easier because I could pin the wig to it while styling to avoid it coming off the head. It took a few tries to get it just how I wanted it. I was going to go with a brunette wig and part it, and coil it, and add extensions originally. I found though that the back of the head where I parted it would end up showing the wefts. I didn't feel like sewing in more wefts to cover that, so the pre-parted, pre-bunned wig was a great base for me.

Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wig from this lady http://www.rockywigs.com/ (check her store for movie wigs) mine is 4 years old and still going strong. I'm very happy with this wig, it looks really nice and the buns are the right size.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to make it yourself like Kristin did, you can find a foam wig head at Sally's beauty supply. They run around 4 bucks.

I think your hairstyle is super cute so I hope you find or can make a wig that will work for you. Very Happy
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I urge you to consider wearing your wig about an inch back from your hairline and parting and pinning your bangs into it. I think you would be more happy with the result in photographs.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hair was almost as short as yours a year ago when I first started doing Leia. I prefer adding buns rather than a whole wig for Leia, as it looks more natural. What it required was a whole lot of hair spray and someone doing all of the arranging/spraying for me, since none of the hair wanted to stay where it was. I wrote up a tutorial on my buns here.

If you go with something like this, you really have to spray it while combing it into pigtails, so the hair around your part is really smooth.

Alternatively, if you go with a wig and want a natural looking hairline, you could lace-front a wig yourself. It's a really putsy technique that I've never tried myself, but I do know it's the best way to have a natural looking wig hairline.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd rather buy a lace front than make it myself. I went to school for wig making and wouldn't recommend fronting a wig without a TON of practice first. There are so many things that can go wrong.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you use reference images of Leia from the movie as a guide. A lot of ladies make the mistake of trying to braid the hair first and/or making the buns too small. Leia's buns are huge and cover her ears.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenigDurak wrote:
If it were me, I'd rather buy a lace front than make it myself. I went to school for wig making and wouldn't recommend fronting a wig without a TON of practice first. There are so many things that can go wrong.

I would love to find a lace-front pigtailed wig. I guess pigtailing would probably be easier, but neither are very much fun.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PatchworkPirate ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arda-Wigs.Com sells a wig called the "Leia" that is a long pigtailed wig. I used that to make my Leia buns wig and it worked quite well!
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to it. The price is great. Only 45 dollars. I think the bangs you can clip back with hair pins and arrange it into the hair?

http://arda-wigs.com/products/leia
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: