About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e10a64568d3f3ae1f2f75ee0707772f6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

S4 Animated Dogma build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhapsodyred99 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: S4 Animated Dogma build Reply with quote

I recently Purchased Vecspeed's Dogma but as there is a diference in size between he and I I needed to convert it.

He did a great job on the helmet, and of course a helmet is a helmet, so it fits great.  It has the back off like all of kevs season 4/5 lids and its a great invention.

basically the back is held at the round thingy inside the helmet on an elastic strap, and rare earth magnets hold the sides down.

kev also has a very innovative harness system that holds the diaper up as well as the shoulders/arms, and a thigh garter belt system simmilar to my TKs:

this is from his post about the Concept armor but it shows the harness really well.

Basically at this point I have found the helmet, arms and legs fit fine. 

The conversion has started:

I have cut the ab along the seams and added the 4 inch spacer.  I will then add another piece of abs on top of that so I only have to putty the seams to blend it in.

I plan on doing the same treatment to the chest and diaper.  The diaper in animated clones has a side seam line, so instead of using a single 4 inch section of ABS I plan on using a 2 inch section on each side, joined with some white elastic to allow some flex for movement.

Honor, Duty, Sacrifice... Exceedingly Poor Aim
SWAT TD
EIB Stunt TK
EIB Hero TK
EIB ESB TK
Centurion RTOJ TK
ROTJ Darth Vader

Frank Craighead TK/TD/SL 11038
rhapsodyred99 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I have put a piece of ABS over the spacer to just leave me a small seam line to fill, sand and buff out.  This is right after I took the clamps off so no sanding of the edges to line it all up or anything yet.

The diaper is getting the same treatment.

Side note:

maxicure extra thick CA glue and zipkicker are much better than plastic weld.  that stuff is amazing.  Definitely only for when you absolutely know that is how you want it, cause it aint going ANYWHERE once the kicker hits.

here is the diaper where I have used part of my unused kit for the spacer.  kevs kits come with a joining plate meant to join the two halves of the diaper together, I took that and trimmed it down and used it for the spacer.  I used it since it had the molding mostly correct already (I had to use a heat gun a bit to line up return edges).  I then cut it down the center and added elastic inside that allows it to be pulled up over my hips like a pair of pants. 

Here is the belt over the diaper that I assembled using pieces from the kit I got to match the molding.  again, I used elastic between the center split to allow some give.  

Once I apply the Putty and the paint it should look more like it belongs, I also have the added benefit of Season 4 clones having the big belt boxes at the side seams which should help cover any major imperfections.

I still need to put the spacers on the chest, then I should be able to do a full test fit, then putty, sand sand sand, and paint.

SWAT TD
EIB Stunt TK
EIB Hero TK
EIB ESB TK
Centurion RTOJ TK
ROTJ Darth Vader

rhapsodyred99 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I was trying to match the paint/weather pattern to the rest of the armor, think I did ok.  I have the colors of paint used from the previous owner, but finding the happy mix is the tough part, but I think it looks pretty good.

I also got in my Crow Boots:

I'll be using the ABS straps from Kev's kit to complete them.

It is all Proceeding according to plan.....

When I did the partial suit up I realized while the shins WOULD close they just needed a little more room as they kept popping open. Unlike the spoon technique of realistic clones the stylized lines of an animated sut require you to close the shins and forearms in a clamshell to the inside of the leg/arm, as opposed to the back like a TK or totally seamless like a realistic clone. Kevs armor handles this well in being molded with recessed spaces for velcro and such to make it flush with the rest of the piece and not leap out at you too badly.

What I did was add a one inch section of ABS to each shin closure. I had to use a heat gun to shape it, but at this point I have gotten fairly used to that process. I have since been applying putty, sanding, applying putty, sanding... to get a smooth transition in the added bits, which I will then paint and weather.

The other two issues I ran into in the partial suit up were quality of life things. the diaper/belt pulls up as planned, but it makes hooking the suspenders a bit of a pain, and also would make it less than ideal for when little dogma has to go potty. I have decided to cut the elastic on the right side of the diaper/belt and put an elastic strap with a snap connection on that side under the belt (like my TK suits), and then velcro the belt over it. This would allow me to theoretically pop the velco. pop the strap, and then urinate to my hearts content, or in suiting up would allow more access to the suspender hooks.

The other issue was in the chest/back. Vecspeed made the chest/back attached, which is nice if you are a rail, but for thos euf us with more musculature/fat that makes the chest at the shoulder straps have to flex pretty well to put it on. This is not sustainable, it will break at some point. I have decided to cut the chest and back apart at the rear of the straps with an x-acto hopefully making a clean transition. I will then glue a tab to each side of the backplate under the shoulder straps, that with velcro to the underside of the shoulderstraps still glued to the chest. This should work as it is essentially the way the chest sides close.

I played with the idea of either elastic, or RC airplane wing hinges, but that would leave a gap between the shoulder straps and the backplate I am hoping to eliminate with the velcro option.

Here are some full suit up shots with modifications in place:

Couple problems.

One of the belt boxes came a bit open.

The ab did not get pushed under the diaper which made it push the diaper down in the back and the cod up in front.

I decided to use my commander pistol since dogma grabs fives' to blast the jedi and I am waiting for the shorty.

Overall not too bad I don't think.

SWAT TD
EIB Stunt TK
EIB Hero TK
EIB ESB TK
Centurion RTOJ TK
ROTJ Darth Vader

rhapsodyred99 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok take 2:

I think I worked out most of the kinks now.

I made this for my 501st costume collections but leaning towards dual membership as my first rebel legion costume.

SWAT TD
EIB Stunt TK
EIB Hero TK
EIB ESB TK
Centurion RTOJ TK
ROTJ Darth Vader

rhapsodyred99 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWAT TD
EIB Stunt TK
EIB Hero TK
EIB ESB TK
Centurion RTOJ TK
ROTJ Darth Vader

rhapsodyred99 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approved!

also:

got my Woodchuck Animated shorty:

This is just after the base flat black coat, no weathering yet.

I have to decide how to do an animated style weather on the gun, for a realistic I would use gunmetal and flat silver drybrush with maybe some chipping, but as animated I may just do some smoke gray dusting as in the armor, dunno.

SWAT TD
EIB Stunt TK
EIB Hero TK
EIB ESB TK
Centurion RTOJ TK
ROTJ Darth Vader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: