About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4b80afae1332b4b69d3ead25d769e5e5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Geometric Red Chancellor Fabric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Geometric Red Chancellor Fabric Reply with quote

Alrighty...asking the experts on "fancy"...

How can I make this fabric?

I would love to be able to find it (or something simmilar) and am looking, but...I'm thinking I'm going to have to make it.

Finding shinny red/burgundy/wine colored fabric is easy, but the geometric patterns...that's hard. I don't fancy embroidering a ton of fabric (though it may come to that), so I'm hoping someone has a solution of how to get the effect without spending a lot of time with needle and thread embroidering.

And yes, I have a sewing machine, but it doesn't have the option of embriodering a pattern like that.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried looking for a jacquard fabric? Even if you couldn't find it in the red, if you could find it in a natural fiber with the right pattern, it could be dyed.

EDIT: For fun, I went looking, and found a somewhat similar fabric:

http://www.decorativefabricsdirect.com/Fabricut_Trend_01840_T_CRIMSON_Fabric_p/6681914.htm

It's a different pattern, obviously, and you'd want to get a swatch to compare pattern size/color, but it's cotton and could be dyed darker if necessary. And that was just on a quick google search for 'jacquard fabric,' so I'm sure better could be found.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A printed version of the embroideries could possibly work - see the Padmé travel gown thread from page 3 on to see what that would look like.
Do you have larger pictures so I can see the pattern better? Going to look through my photos collection too; maybe I have a larger version too...
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I'm getting some good ideas.

That fabric that from decoratorfabricsdirect would probably work as it is except that...at $30/yard and having to buy a 15 yard minimum puts it out of what I'm willing to spend. Plus...15 yards would be enought to make 4-5 of these sleeveless robes...more than I need, lol

But knowing about jacquard fabrics helps. I know fabrics are categorized many ways. Finding the right catebory would let me refine my search...making it possible to complete this project in my lifetime, lol

Printing sounds intriguing. I'll need to look more into that.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
Printing sounds intriguing. I'll need to look more into that.

Well... since I had to design one more fabric for my next swatch order, I thought I'd give this one a quick try.

Looking at the exhibit photos I calculated the size from the 41 repeats of the design from shoulder to floor; assuming that the actual size from shoulder to floor would be approximal 61 inches; which would make each repeat approximately 1.5 inches high.
With that size in mind, I then designed this (it's smaller than my actual print design and, of course, watermarked):

I like how it turned out, and will definitely order a swatch and afterwards add the design to my Spoonflower collection Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi, you are awesomely helpful and I hope this will help SithariRog with making the costume. We could use more Palpys. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: