About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f000b8cf7a9f7d8bf96949907e983cf6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Riyo Chuchi - looking for second opinions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Clone Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on the wig... Perhaps I will find the courage soon...

Here the current status...

A first test-fit of the boots, the shinguards and the half-finished trousers...

The blue pattern was hand-painted and the golden ornaments were created with a special "jewelry modelling clay", fixed with hot glue which works best for that kind of material.

From now on I have to work my way up and have to finish the trousers (seam, belt, etc.)...

For more progress pictures please see: my blog... Although it is in German, there are a lot of pictures to watch...
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troopergirl wrote:
Concerning the poncho, I will probably re-start with another fabric and perhaps a different kind of colour for the pattern.

Try felted wool. You can paint it with regular silk paints. If you add thickener to the silk paint before painting, it won't run like your diluted acrylic paint does.

Quote:
The blue pattern was hand-painted and the golden ornaments were created with a special "jewelry modelling clay", fixed with hot glue which works best for that kind of material.

In case that "jewelry modelling clay" is Fimo, you could better glue it using epoxy glue (or quick-hardening epoxy resin). Hot glue tends to break; epoxy glue does not. Also, in case your silver fabric is Polyester, there's always the danger of melting it with the hot glue - not so with epoxy resin / glue (which, opposed to polyester resin, won't dissolve the polyester fabric).
Also, you can get the Fimo to look even more metallic if you use the Fimo metallic golden powder on it.
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the new poncho with light-blue fabric and different paint...

But I'm not satisfied with the pattern and might start a new "front-piece"...
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great start. It really does look so much better on a heavier fabric. It is hanging a lot more like the animation now.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of paint did you use this time?
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, after quiet a long time here another update from me. Although I've been busy at work and work on different costumes as well, I made some progress an I think it will be best to show you some pictures...

I redid the poncho front and then added the "gemstones"...

Then I struggled a lot with sewing gloves...

But I finally succeeded...

Yesterday I added the cuffs with the golden ornament....

I also made the collar for the poncho...

and put the gemstones and the ornament on...

Putting the gloves and the poncho on together looked like this...

And yesterday evening I attached the belt to the trousers and had a quick test with the belt buckle I had made out of EVA...(sorry for the blurry pic...)

The next thing to do will of course be the wig... that will really be a dreaded task for me. At first I would like to dye it and then to style it... I will try dying method suggested by SongofAmazon. Therefore I already bought some different shades of copic markers. I actually used the blue one to paint the pattern onto the poncho, as I really like the "sketchy look" and think it fits quiet well to a character of an animation series.
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!
Bespin Escape Leia (all finished except the pix!)
Breha Organa (Planning/acquiring materials; dye testing)
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! What did you use to make the collar stand up so nicely? Collar shape and weight have been my major hang-ups in my patterning process.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
Nicely done! What did you use to make the collar stand up so nicely?

I used fusible interfacing from a brand called Vlieseline and used two layers of it. The same material was used for the cuffs.

As I had a free day today, I took all courage together and dyed the wig...

I worked quiet well and way better than expected, although I think it is really tricky to add just a shade of a colour to an already coloured wig.

On the pictures the difference seems only to be subtle, but in reality it looks way better...

Here a picture-comparison under almost identical lighting conditions...

Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After dyeing the wig, the next task of course will be styling the wig... Yeah, looking forward to it...

But besides that, I am now starting to think about the little things you don't concern yourself with at the beginning.

Riyo is also sporting four "ribbons" leading from the belt buckel to the back of the belt. Right now I am thinking to use the same fabric as I used for the poncho, but I'm not quiet sure... Any opinions or suggestions?

Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I worry about is how well copic markers (which you used to create the design on the poncho, if I understood that correctly) will hold up to even just rain, let alone washing or dry cleaning.
I do know that they fade extremely quickly in the sun; and it would be sad to see this costume ruined after the first troop in the rain (or as soon as the first cleaning is required).

Troopergirl wrote:
Riyo is also sporting four "ribbons" leading from the belt buckel to the back of the belt. Right now I am thinking to use the same fabric as I used for the poncho, but I'm not quiet sure... Any opinions or suggestions?

Sure. As long as your poncho fabric is wool or at least has some wool content, you could even felt them into that rounded shape, which would omit the need for seams.
The 'ends' of those 'belt loops' (which is what I would rather call them opposed to 'ribbons' since ribbons are usually flat, while these are pretty obviously rounded) could be made from larger jewelry clasps.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was looking at for the ribbons, as it seems to me they have some shimmer, is liquid lame or something shatterglass holographic.

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy vlieseline for a strong hold, just be sure you get the strongest kind available. You can get some pretty thick and sturdy vlieseline. Smile

Your progress looks really good! Amadalia

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
If you buy vlieseline for a strong hold, just be sure you get the strongest kind available. You can get some pretty thick and sturdy vlieseline. Smile

The strongest Vlieseline, which I think is called Vilene in the US, is called 'Decovil' (at least here in Germany). It's used to stabilize clutches and handbags.
I stabilized not just the collar of my Jamillia costume with that stuff but also the matching handbag. See how stable that is:

I'll also use that particular stabilizer in my Breha sleeves (in addition to the boning which is also in them).

The 'Decovil' stabilizer doesn't even look like stabilizer; actually (appearance-wise) it resembles thin leather much more.
Note that there are two kinds of Decovil - 'Decovil' and 'Decovil light', which is thinner and not as sturdy. Personally, I prefer the 'Decovil' (without the 'light' Wink ).
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by Jenna's links, I bought the following fabric last weekend...

Originally I had thought to use the poncho-fabric to create a "consistency" and no to use too many different fabrics and colours, but looking at several other reference pictures again, I could also see the shimmering.

Furthermore, I will make them flat, as they don't appear to be rounded in most pictures. Nevertheless, I might add some "thickness"...

But before I'll start with the "ribbons", I want to finish the wig and the headgear...

Yesterday I sewed the coil to the wig after I had painted it lilac...

Later I started with the styling and formed little "buns" to cover the coil's ends. After putting so much effort into dyeing that wig, it really hurt to cut some hair of and to glue it together... Not to mention it can get really, really messy...

(Even though it looks completely different due to the lighting in the last picture it is the same wig...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Clone Wars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: