About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ef3f2af6ca4cba1fc94fe0bdbb8bb6b3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New UK Wookie (Chewbacca)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hereticdave ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: New UK Wookie (Chewbacca) Reply with quote

Hello All, I've already introduced myself on the UK forum and I've been directed here for all my wookie needs! First off, my name is Dave and I live near Chester in the UK. I'm off to celebration Europe II next year and this is finally the push I need to get my Star Wars costume off the ground, and I'm diving in feet first with Chewie. I've got a bit of experience in casting/sculpting, all on a small scale though, so I'm hoping I can just scale those skills up for a full blown costume. The mesh suit, latch hooking etc I'm not to worried about, as long as I take my time and am patient.

My stilts arrived during the week and I've spent all weekend (as much is practible) walking around in them, and I'm hoping to get the feet and mask done first and then move onto the suit and bandolier. I've read most of every thread on here about chewbacca and a few stand alone sites, all of them recommended from here.

I've got a few questions though, for the more experienced wooks out there though. Firstly, I've looked and noted where I can get the kanekalon hair from, but I haven't been able to find a picture of #27, apparently it's strawberry blond, according to texas beauty supplies. Is that the right colour or have they changed the numbers round recently? From my research I think I need:

60 x #27 (strawberry blond)
40 x #44 (gunmetal grey, from i kick shins)
10 x #4 (dark brown)
10 x #6 (chestnut brown)

I made a rough sketch on a spare piece of wood for the size of Chewies foot, around my stilts foot. Is this big enough?

Chewbacca Feet Plan by hereticdave, on Flickr

(please excuse the shadow of my head)

I'm planning on making one foot that can be used for left or right and casting the two in silicone, as per the making wookie site. How accurate do the feet have to be to become formal? Adi Gallia, from the elstree base forum asked me a few questions when I posted this on that forum, so the answers to help visualize are:
real height 5'10, height in stilts 7'2"
Shoe size 10. not sure how big Chewies feet are, hence the rough sketch.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'll have hundreds of more questions before I'm done. Dance Chewie
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the correct hair color numbers. That is why it is necessary to get Kanekalon hair - as long as the it's Kanekalon, then colors will be the same as long as the numbers match, no matter what company it is purchased from.

Best of luck with the build. You know where to find us if you need help or advice!!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Dave and welcome.

120 packs is a lot of hair. Are you sure you need that much? I ordered 70 packs and after making my Chewie still have enough to make a small wookiee suit for my son. It is better to have too much than not enough but 120 seems quite a lot.

Anyway good luck on your build journey Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I asked before ordering! I've just had another look around these forums and I agree that 120 bags is a lot more than I've read anyone else use. I think I saw one person bounce this many around and have gone with the "more is better" idea. As I'm in the UK and ordering from the US I don't want to run out and have to wait for a few weeks to pick up where I left off. What quantities of hair colour did you get?
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the hair is matt and not silky...you don't want a shiney wookiee who has just stepped out of a salon!!

LaTrend is definitely one of the best brands, I never had to straighten it either.
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hereticdave wrote:
What quantities of hair colour did you get?

"Bugga" I knew you would ask me that. Smile Sadly I don't remember the exact quantities. All I remember is mixing the 27 and 6 at 2/3rds 1/3 ratio aswell as the 44 and 280 at the same ratio, with a little bit of 4 dotted here and there aswell. Every body will have their own preferences though

Just noticed that you look like buying your 44 from I kick shins . Their stock says the 44 is the Rastafri brand atm, I received a couple of these in my order and they were simply awful. They are not grey but shiny silver (see pic) so I refused to use them. The Black and Gold brand in matt was 1000 times better.

[/img]
Pic taken without flash and yet it still looks too bright and shiny
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only used the #27 and #44 on mine.
I want to say it was about 50 packs of #27 and about 20 of the #44.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzy, less hair it is then! Already learning lots! On a separate note, oil based clay suppliers in the UK? I've found oven bake clay, I'm pretty sure it's the same thing but I want to be sure before I go buying lots and start sculpting feet and wookie faces. Also, does it matter what film Chewie I do or can I mix and match styles from the different films and have a generic Chewie? I want the costume to be as detailed as I can, which means Revenge of the Sith Ammo Boxes, does the bag have to be suede as per the standards or can it be leather? I'm asking mainly because I have some leather lying around that might do and I'd like to use that rather than buy some new material. I'm planning on making my own ammo boxes and casting them up with some metal powder filler to get the right worn look.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely recommend all of your colors be a mix. The 27 if what I used on my original suit 7 years ago. The mix of 27 and 6 looks much better, especially when you throw in some grey for accents.

I'll have to look for some suppliers for either monster clay or chavant. I ordered a training dcd from the uk and that company also had lots of other supplies.
You might just call monster makers (who make monster clay) and ask about uk suppliers.

if you go for a rots chewie the bandolier should be accurate with the suede pouch, the mask should aim for that likeness, the feet should be right, etc. the body suit itself will work for both, and you can always sculpt a new skin to go on your existing skull, and the suede pouch would also work with an ot bandolier as one of the bandoliers has a suede pouch.
But really there are only a few distinguishing details on the rots suit.
hereticdave ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for all the tips! I think I'll go for an Episode 3 Chewie then. I've just ordered 1.5Kg of oil based clay and I'll get to work on my feet as soon as that arrives. In the meantime I'll lean my research more to Revenge of the sith style feet. Want to finish them first before I go on to other parts of the costume.
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, good luck with your build and keep the pics coming as you progress. We all like to watch in here (ok that sounded creepy Shocked )
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
I definitely recommend all of your colors be a mix. The 27 if what I used on my original suit 7 years ago. The mix of 27 and 6 looks much better, especially when you throw in some grey for accents.

You are talking about Chewies "overall brown" color right? What would you say the percentage of #6 to #27 is? Also do you mix you #44 with like a #4 or something else?

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
GotWookiee wrote:

You are talking about Chewies "overall brown" color right? What would you say the percentage of #6 to #27 is? Also do you mix you #44 with like a #4 or something else?

I have used as high as 50:50 on mine.

And the same ratio on the grey #44 and #4.
hereticdave ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered samples of #27 and #4 kanekalon from Pak cosmetics (seeing as I'm UK based). I'll post some pics when they arrive. Has anyone used Braid Syn brand?

http://www.pakcosmetics.com/brand/x-pression/braid/braid-syn-ultra.html
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the brown areas I mix 2 parts 27 (typically half of a bag of hair) to one part 6 (1/4 of a bag). I'll have to look up my numbers for the dark/grey areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: