About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=da5fb891a62f3f42ea6cef457f74d9a4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Do Jedi wear glasses?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a person who has lived life with extremely thick glasses, then got Lasik, and now needs glasses AGAIN Sad I can say sometimes you just need to wear glasses to see. Contacts just may not be an option.

There are plenty of of examples of people wearing things over there eyes in the SW universe. They are usually presented as eye protection or enhancements. There are places where you can get very cheap glasses and experiment with making them fit in the SW universe's look and feel.

We spend hundreds and thousands on our costumes. I'm willing to invest a bit in glasses that fit the costume. It just makes sense to keep the fantasy alive even with bad vision.

(edit: And, I take them off for profile pics... why not, what's it hurt)
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want these:

Cool Laughing
darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Roger, the member pictures usually look more authentic without them since I don't believe I have seen any Jedi in the movies wearing glasses. Unless I'm mistaken, this is just for pictures for a costume application, not for pictures when trooping. I wear glasses too, but I take them off while I'm in costume. I am able to see for the most part without them though, which I understand some people aren't able to do.
Jeremiah 29:11
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
One thing I've wondered about people who wear glasses... why not make some glasses that look like they would fit into the universe? ... take out the lenses of one or two, but it wouldn't be too hard to make some glasses ...

Actually, it's very hard. Prescriptions are "focused" to a specific point on the eye. If you don't get the lenses back into the same alignment and distance from pupil to pupil, it can cause headaches, depth perception and even balance issues. Stairs can become dangerous and driving would be right out. Just a warning from personal experience.

Echo Base - Binghamton, NY
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrooperPX wrote:

Actually, it's very hard. Prescriptions are "focused" to a specific point on the eye. If you don't get the lenses back into the same alignment and distance from pupil to pupil, it can cause headaches, depth perception and even balance issues. Stairs can become dangerous and driving would be right out. Just a warning from personal experience.

Ah, didn't know that. I knew the lenses themselves had to be the correct strength and what-not, but I didn't know about the alignment and such. I don't wear glasses so I haven't really had any experience with them.

Okay, so maybe it wouldn't work. Heh heh.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time (back in the day), I was making a Blues Brothers costume. Had an old pair of lenses tinted, and recut to put in their style of frame. Gawd was it awful. Embarassed After clipping my shoulder on a doorframe... twice, I scrapped the idea. Never knew why. Tried years later, to put lenses into a helmet that had no room to wear frames underneath. This time happened to be at my optometrist and shot the idea (for cost) by them. They then explained why I had the problem years before. Cool

The most important measurement is the PD (also called Pupillary Distance, Inter-Pupillary Distance or Pupil Distance). PD is the distance between the centre of one pupil to the centre of the other pupil and determines "the position of the lenses over your eyes with a natural gaze". On top of that, because my left eye has an astigmatism, that lense need to have the correct "rotation" to it to ensure the perscription is parallel to the ground. To my joy, they make "weighted" contacts for astigmatism, that when you blink, will keep themselves right side up... like a Weeble. Laughing

But unfortunately, my insurance would only cover 50% of the cost (versus 100% of the cost for glasses). So that's a factor as well. I went with a six-month script, and only wear them while in certain costumes. So that one script fill will last me as long as the expiration date, meaning I can wear contacts 90 times in the next three years. Thus justifying a $250 out of pocket expense. Wink

Echo Base - Binghamton, NY
rebelgirl (anne simmons)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just tell the public you have been away from a place with a bacta tank for too long. The only solution around you could find were what Earth people call glasses.
JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebelgirl wrote:
You could just tell the public you have been away from a place with a bacta tank for too long. The only solution around you could find were what Earth people call glasses.

Good one!
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebelgirl wrote:

I love that! Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear contacts for all my costumes, but I know not all people can wear contacts.

So, for making star warsy glasses, I'm thinking doing something cyberpunky. Smile As was posted there are glasses in sw we just never see a jedi with glasses.
Maybe you could make some sort of shell to put around/over your glasses? Before I got lenses I used to put my skiing protection glasses over my corrective glasses. It worked even if it was a bit weird. Razz Just something to think about. (Or you could do a miraluka jedi and hide the glasses behind the veil).

I also agree on taking the glasses off for the approval pics; it simply feels more star warsy. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Jace Darkrider (Ian Letendre)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the original post in the thread, I do agree about removing glasses from your submission photos. It's a static profile picture and won't impact you adversely. However, if you have the ability to get prescription lenses (theatrical designs or 'normal) or feel inclined to add onto your existing glasses with something more 'Star Warsy', cool and go for it. I think the case of glasses or corrective/enhancing eye wear being worn in the SW universe has been answered as a positive. Beyond all of that, wearing glasses at an event won't change your membership. Does all of that sounds about right?
KJO Council 2012-2013
DCO Stormfront Temple 2010-2013
CO/XO Bespin Base 2004-2006
TI/IC 1074, 501st Legion
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, Jace. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Jedi Seever (John Seever)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of saying bacta was short and now need to wear glasses. I even have a pair of Civil War frames I use at events I could wear, as I need my glasses to see and I got a bad eye infection when I did wear contacts and the doctor said not to any more.

I was and still am thinking of making a harness that the Miraluka have, to hide my glasses. I just need to find a good material to do that and be able to see through. I found some, but trying to sew it to a headband did not work too well.

Just my two cents.
Trousers, Belt and Obi: Completed
Boots: Pending
Robe: Pending
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually in sunglasses at events. I don't think a squinting Jedi with a horrific headache is in character.

No one's every asked me why, never said I shouldn't, never asked me to take them off for pictures. In fact, I've been asked to leave them on. Quite frankly, I look better in glasses.

Someone clever with metal could probably fabricate a cool pair of frames, take them to an optician and have lenses made to fit.

Just to clarify: There's no rule against wearing glasses in our photos, correct?
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I've done miraluka headwear for a friend, but I think she has the patterns, so can't help you with one. However, you should be able to make one and attach it to the sides of your glasses to keep it in place. The headwear is not that complicated. Then it's just a matter of finding the right fabric. Smile

No rule against it, unless I've missed a note on this. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: