About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1bd59a22476a4baaa0bc1ad207ed2ce1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A-Wing vest pattern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: A-Wing vest pattern Reply with quote

Is there an A-Wing vest pattern out there?

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no patern!

I did my vest just..."out of the stomach" (I hope you understand this saying Razz )

I always make a paper model first, and so I did it with the A-wing vest, too. It´s a good way to find out the relations between the white bib, the chestbox and the rest of the vest. My starting point was the size of the chestbox, and then I designed the rest around it...

Good luck for your build!
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there is no pattern. Someone might be willing to share their custom-made pattern with you, but other than that, there's nothing official.

When it comes to the A-wing, B-wing and Y-wing flak vests (and various other pilots and parts) it's all just a matter of guess work. Study it, draw it a few times until you get something you like, and go from there. It can be frustrating and time-consuming because there is nothing to go off of, but there you have it.
Not to mention you'll probably end up changing it a couple times until you get something you're satisfied with. If you're like me, anyway. Even with my newest B-wing pilot flak vest, while it seems to fit me fairly well, I would still like to take it in a little bit around the shoulders and perhaps the lower sides. Though that's not something I'm going to be able to do until I can get a new sewing machine.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. Very true indeed that practice makes perfect. I have been going "off the cuff" since yesterday and am somewhat happy, but not totally. I will probably change it a wee bit as I progress. O.D., I really like your grey vest and have been relying on it heavily for inspiration! Pics. coming soon...

Awing

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you think you've got a pattern, try mocking it up and PMing me with a pic. I should be able to help you tweak it from there.

Remember too, that there are two possible backs for the A-wing. A full back panel version, and a smaller back panel version (similar to the B-wing). Both are acceptable as we've got screen shots to back them up. It's just your choice of which you prefer.

PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over and out!

HazardThree wrote:
Once you think you've got a pattern, try mocking it up and PMing me with a pic. I should be able to help you tweak it from there.

Remember too, that there are two possible backs for the A-wing. A full back panel version, and a smaller back panel version (similar to the B-wing). Both are acceptable as we've got screen shots to back them up. It's just your choice of which you prefer.

Awing

―General Han Solo
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:

I've been wondering about the two back panels. Are there any pictures that show without fail that that the squared back can be paired with the standard A-wing pilot flak vest front? I.e. are there any pictures that show the squared back and a standard A-wing flak vest front together? Or is it all just back shots of green-clad pilots with the squared back piece?

I'm just asking because I've been wondering if that squared back is a B-wing pilot flak vest and not an A-wing pilot flak vest at all... It would just be another example of costume pieces getting switched around again, as happened fairly often during RotJ for background characters. It seems like the "full" back is the "real" back piece for the A-wing pilot flak vest... But maybe that's just me. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% agree with you that the "full" back panel is the actual A-Wing version of the vest. I can not think of any instances where you can see the A-Wing front with the "squared" B-Wing-like back. I will look through the screen caps I have to be sure though. In the meantime, here is the grey portion of the vest hot off the sewing machine. It needs some tweeking and such but it's a start. As you can see, I went with the "full" back pattern.

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:

I've been wondering about the two back panels. Are there any pictures that show without fail that that the squared back can be paired with the standard A-wing pilot flak vest front? I.e. are there any pictures that show the squared back and a standard A-wing flak vest front together? Or is it all just back shots of green-clad pilots with the squared back piece?

I'm just asking because I've been wondering if that squared back is a B-wing pilot flak vest and not an A-wing pilot flak vest at all... It would just be another example of costume pieces getting switched around again, as happened fairly often during RotJ for background characters. It seems like the "full" back is the "real" back piece for the A-wing pilot flak vest... But maybe that's just me. Razz

Awing

―General Han Solo
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's coming along!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: