About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7d72478f08b387aff2bbae0eb2f6d17dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Princess Leia Endor Q & A
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strangebehaviour ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Princess Leia Endor Q & A Reply with quote

Hi, I am relatively new to the RL and for my next costume I want to do Endor Leia. However, I know the standards are changing so can someone please tell me what my costume needs to have in order for it to be acceptable? Thanks for your help!
Liz
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Costume Standards for Endor Leia help Reply with quote

That costume is considered a "Rebel Trooper" costume, and the standards for that can be found here:

Rebel Trooper category requirements/standards

Welcome aboard!
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Costume Standards for Endor Leia help Reply with quote

Hi Liz and welcome. The thread that JediToren suggested is a good one to go to. If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me as well.
strangebehaviour ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Costume Standards for Endor Leia help Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help!
Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Costume Standards for Endor Leia help Reply with quote

unless you wanthe costume without the pancho, fromt he ROTJ briefing room Wink
kreleia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to bump this because, after much research, I have to say that this costume IS DIFFERENT from the standard "Endor Rebel Trooper" costume.

Princess Leia only wears the poncho and "donut" helmet that the rest of the troopers wear. Otherwise, what's underneath is unique.

For example:

Regular trooper =

(yes, this is the image from the Endor Bunker Yahoo Group homepage)

Endor Battle Leia =

(images borrowed from Maggie at PadawansGuide for my personal reference)

So, let's not brush this off. This costume needs standards for Princess Leia. Smile
kreleia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have so far for this costume:

• Light blue knit stirrup pants that have been slightly grayed (with dye). These were purchased at Blair.com, but are no longer available in the light blue color (unfortunately).
  • Velvet ribbon in "Citron" from MJ Trim for the pant stripes.
  • cotton Fiesta Shirt in White from Blair.com. This has been dyed khaki. The sleeves are long enough to alter and use the extra fabric for the sleeve pockets. The collar is also the correct shape.
  • 100% cotton Quilter's Flannel for the vest. Dyed gray. Vest not yet completed, but I will be using New Look #6728 with modifications. I chose this pattern because it includes a cap-sleeve variant similar to Leia's vest. There are also other details to the vest that I will post pictures of below.
  • 2-inch black elastic for the belt (found at JoAnn), and a 2-inch single bar slide for the buckle (I couldn't find a black buckle like that anywhere, for some strange reason)
  • Long brown artificial hair braided into two braids, both wrapped with hemp twine. This is for the "headband" braids. On closer inspection, I've noticed that Leia's braids are wrapped with light leather ties, rather than twine, so I will probably change mine. It should also be noted that this costume doesn't HAVE to have the leather ties around the braids. She wears them AFTER she encounters the Ewoks. I have not yet decided if I need one braid or two for the buns at her neck.
  • Black leather boots, found on eBay. They look VERY similar, but the soles are black instead of the yellow-ish tan color. I've thought about having them resoled, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

What I still need:
  • Leia's DDC Defender blaster. I've looked EVERYWHERE for one of these, and I'm not about to shell out $200+ for a Master Replicas prop. I've also heard not-so-good reviews about the resin replicas that pop up on eBay every so often. I've also checked Blaster Builders and The Dented Helmet for any tips on creating one from various parts, but no luck. If ANYONE has information, PLEASE let me know!
  • Leia's rank badge. This looks like various electronics parts glued to a metal square. Pic below.
  • Wristwatch (or whatever that is). A double black metal "stretch" band with a large black square attached. Looks like one of the old-skool digital watches.
  • Poncho. Just haven't bought the fabric for it, yet.
  • Donut helmet. I've actually purchased this, but it's in Denver with the rest of the order. Very Happy

So, there you go. Here are some of the pics I mentioned, plus others to show detail (screencaps by me):

Leia's "wristwatch" (pic from PadawansGuide.com)
Rank badge and some vest detail
Vest detail - can also see that the braids are wrapped with leather ties, here.
more vest detail
The DDC Defender Blaster that Leia wields on Endor (yes, it's slightly different from her ANH blaster)

I hope this helps anyone else that's doing, or wants to do this costume! Very Happy
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you are dredging up an old thread. Razz

The costuming standards for this already exist in the Princess Leia Costume Standards thread in Costume Standards at the top of the Costuming forum.

Your list is more detail oriented, and might be more helpful though. Smile Plus, that thread is locked.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reaper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreleia wrote:

So, let's not brush this off. This costume needs standards for Princess Leia. Smile

Even before the standards were moved and spilt, this costume had it's own standards. It was listed in the Trooper and Rebel Commander areas (depending if it was the Endor or briefing version) because this is a military uniform. And in the EU not solely used by Leia.

Quite simply, this is a Military Officer's Uniform and was listed among the others.

The standards always layed out what you would need for this individual costume.

That being said, I've been able to get some decent results from the some of the Ebay DDC Defender Resin props. it takes alot of work, and a heat gun to reshape it slightly, but you can get good (not the best though) results from it.
lavagrrrl (Susie Leopold)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some great info, kreleia! You have sparked my interest in making this costume again! Thank you for sharing it. Very Happy
www.BlastyLava.com
kreleia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper wrote:
Even before the standards were moved and spilt, this costume had it's own standards. It was listed in the Trooper and Rebel Commander areas (depending if it was the Endor or briefing version) because this is a military uniform. And in the EU not solely used by Leia.

Quite simply, this is a Military Officer's Uniform and was listed among the others.

The standards always layed out what you would need for this individual costume.

Yeah, I've seen the standards. I looked them up after posting this. So, I'm going to keep this thread alive. But thanks anyway.

You're welcome, lavagrrrl. Smile
Jungle Leia ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I am having difficulty in is trying to get the rank insignia. Anyone know where I can go to get one?

The belt and holster is on order and will be looking for a pouch soon but the insignia is giving me problems...
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreleia wrote:
Leia's DDC Defender blaster. I've looked EVERYWHERE for one of these, and I'm not about to shell out $200+ for a Master Replicas prop. I've also heard not-so-good reviews about the resin replicas that pop up on eBay every so often. I've also checked Blaster Builders and The Dented Helmet for any tips on creating one from various parts, but no luck. If ANYONE has information, PLEASE let me know!

I'd suggest what I am doing for the Merr-Sonn Power 5 blaster for my Imperial Officer uniform. Find the base pistol that LFL modified and buy an airsoft pistol of that type. Then just buy the necessary parts to make it look exactly like the prop.

I would say it is easy, but it is rather not when finding things to look similar. Heck, for the pistons on the side of my pistol, I am using some hose couplings that are cut in half (and it looks no different than the prop after a little bondo). You just have to know what you are looking for, which I am finding is the specialty of both the RL and 501st!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from an accuracy point of view.... the mauser isn't even the accurate base weapon for the DCC Defender. And since this is the Endor Leia costume we are referring to, then the Soviet-made Margolin .22 MTs Target Pistol is the base gun.

But, I can imagine that if you don't want to shell out a couple hundred on a mauser, then you certainly wouldn't want to do the same for this base gun, either.

My best advice would be to keep searching for the re-pro prop kits and see where they go. I don't know how much these resin kits are going for, but if they are a reasonable price, I'd try it and see.

Check out www.partsofsw.com under the Items link, scroll down to the DCC Defender from ROTJ. It may help point you in a direction to find something that looks similar to the Margolin .22 MT Target Pistol.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jungle Leia wrote:
The one thing I am having difficulty in is trying to get the rank insignia. Anyone know where I can go to get one?

The belt and holster is on order and will be looking for a pouch soon but the insignia is giving me problems...

Our guy who made ours disappeared. Neutral

I'll ask around to see if anyone has an extra.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: