About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ccafee6444be96e8b6b6c822cd46fe67Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rystall Sant - please help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Gecko ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Rystall Sant - please help! Reply with quote

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread!
Right now I'm working on a generic Jedi for submission for my first formal costume (my excuse for carrying a lightsaber in public!), but I figure I'll go ahead and get started on one that I'm really excited about, one of my favorite random characters, Rystall Sant.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rystallfull.jpg

http://s9.invisionfree.com/New_Republic/index.php?showtopic=250
(please disregard the info under the picture here, I have no idea what this forum is, it just came up when I did a search. A kid with Boba Fett? No Dice.)

Here's my ideas so far...any tips, techniques, advice, tutorial links, ANYTHING for any aspect of this costume will be greatly appreciated!

Wig - I have no clue. I may have someone to make this for me, but then again I may be tackling this myself. Anyone who can give me awesome instructions or is in IL and can help me in person with this gets free cookies for life!

Bodypaint/spots - I've studied both Twi'lek Pam's and Asha Tank's recommendations for body paint, and I think I feel pretty comfortable with this part.

"Cones" on side of head - should be fairly easy to make and paint, not sure how to attach them to my head. I think I would have to attach them to the bald cap part of the wig, since they sit right about where my hairline is at.

Bodysuit - seems to be all one piece, haven't found a pattern to base it off of, so it looks like I'll be making it from scratch. For the trim, I think I'll wrap craft wire in padding and fabric and sew that to the suit to help give the top some shape, and to help hold it up. I'll probably also be investing in some double-sided carpet tape - I used that trick with an argumentative prom dress and it worked pretty well Wink
I'm not too familiar with types of fabric, if anybody can suggest what to use that would be great! I think I'm most intimidated by making the gloves

Feet - two different ideas here - first, attaching the "toes" to the bodysuit itself and working in wire or something to hold the feet in the right shape - OR - attaching the toes to a pair of shoes, and leaving holes in the foot of the bodysuit for the toes to poke through, sew a stirrup onto the bottom of the leg to keep it from slipping off the shoe.

help Sooo, yeah. Help me, Rebel Legion, you're my only hope!!
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rystall Sant - please help! Reply with quote

Darth Gecko wrote:
Wig - I have no clue. I may have someone to make this for me, but then again I may be tackling this myself. Anyone who can give me awesome instructions or is in IL and can help me in person with this gets free cookies for life!

Your best bet is to try and find out how they did it for the film. I'm not much of a hair stylist but I'm betting they didn't get the hair to stand up by itself, and even if they did I'm sure they were messing with it after every take. Not something that is really practical for trooping.

Bear in mind that my experience with hair is limited to Wookiees, but here is something you might try. Build some sort of armature that is the basic shape of her hair piece out of a rigid light-weight material. I would try pink foam insulation which you can pick up in huge quantities at Home Depot or Lowe's. You can carve it up easily with a hot wire foam cutter, which you can pick up at a craft store for about $20.

Then glue the hair in with a thin, clear adhesive. For the outside pieces of the hair pieces, which will want to fall down, try using strands of hair punched in across the grain or flow of the hair to help tame it. That's how we Wookiees keep our mask hair under control (that and a lot of hair spray).

I would get the hair piece figured out first. Maybe you could work in some sort of head band that fits under the horns to help secure it to your head. That will be the biggest challenge. Trying to do any event outside will be tough since the wind will want to tear it off.

Darth Gecko wrote:
"Cones" on side of head - should be fairly easy to make and paint, not sure how to attach them to my head. I think I would have to attach them to the bald cap part of the wig, since they sit right about where my hairline is at.

If you can't attach them to the headpiece, you can always use a prosthetic adhesive like Prosaide or good old spirit gum to attach directly to your skin.

Darth Gecko wrote:
Feet - two different ideas here - first, attaching the "toes" to the bodysuit itself and working in wire or something to hold the feet in the right shape - OR - attaching the toes to a pair of shoes, and leaving holes in the foot of the bodysuit for the toes to poke through, sew a stirrup onto the bottom of the leg to keep it from slipping off the shoe.

However you decide to attach them, make sure they are made out of a soft material like latex, silicone, polyurethane foam, etc. If they are rigid then they simply won't last.

You also need to find some friends to do Greeta and Lyn Me.
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One, I'm jealous! Laughing I wish I had the figure to wear Rystall cause I think she is so beautiful.

Two, there is someone who made one. I believe she is a member of Wolfpack Elite (I saw her at their party in 2008 @D*Con):

You might want to see if you can track her down.

I would think the hair would have to be done with a skull cap. If I was doing it I'd attach the horns right to the skull cap.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress!

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Darth Gecko ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her wig is awesome!!! Love that picture. Especially love the look on the guy in the Batman t-shirt's face!

I found some actual wig-making instructions, but it looks pretty intense...I also found a few youtube videos on how to make a weave, that looks a lot more manageable! I'm hoping I'll be able to incorporate a weave with a bald cap somehow...or cover the excess netting with a latex form of some sorts.

First I'm going to try to take the easy route and go see if the Halloween stores have anything I can mutilate to try to get the hang of this Razz

I'm not terribly worried about getting the hair to stand up - I'm enlisting my sister-in-law to do that - she has a pretty rockin' mohawk that will stand up for days on it's own!
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthetic hair is different from natural hair. Make sure you read up on what products to use to make the synthetic hair "stay". It's been a long time since I've styled a wig and I did use regular hairspray but I don't know what is recommended currently.

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the reference pic you provided in the first post, it would seem to me that you will want to use some sort of spandex, or lycra material for the suit. I'd also suggest that you find an old pair of slippers, or shoes to attach the suit to. You can always add the "toes" to the material that is attached to the shoe.

To me, it almost looks like that is how they made this costume, a one-piece slip on type of costume... think of little kids pajamas. You know the ones with those solid vinyl booties attached?

That is what I would suggest....

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darth Gecko ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even think of just attaching the fabric to the shoes...that sounds like it would be the easiest route.

Right now I'm looking into where to buy hair and what type to use... Halloween wig is most definitely a no-go!
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably going to want to look for something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-S-20-Easy-Loop-Human-Hair-Extension-HOT-PINK-50g_W0QQitemZ280359456571QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions?hash=item4146b9cf3b

Darth Gecko ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at stuff like this...hoping to find something a touch cheaper!
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Kanekalon-Jumbo-Braid/

They have all sorts of colors:

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Color-chart.html#unnatural

WookieeGunner ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the stuff Mieal linked to is the same stuff most of the Wookiee builders use, so go look at the Chewie builds for ideas on how to use it.

Also, for the horns (cones) I would recomend looking for Darth Maul costuming sites. Attaching them should be the same as his.
Darth Gecko ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea on how much of this I should buy to get a full wig made?
Crystal Clover (Meaghan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I am working on this same costume myself. I just made a latex head covering (like a bald cap) with the horns attached and i am going to be punching in the hair by hand instead of cutting up a wig. I would be more than happy to share my progress with you if you are interested!
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love seeing progress pictures! Smile

Crystal Clover (Meaghan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First i made a clay model of it.

Then painted it in liquid latex.

Here it's uncut and really rough. I decided to make a plaster cast of the clay and cast it again but i used too much and it doesn't stretch much when its thicker. I might cast it once more and make it thinner.

I'm going to order some Kankelon hair extensions once the cap is complete. It's a slow coming project right now Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: