About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=754f0b4168c086577e2d53d092924ffbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Would we allow Gammorean Guards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Would we allow Gammorean Guards? Reply with quote

As the subject says, would we allow these guys? We allow Jawas, Tusken Raiders, and Wampas after all.

Alex
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gamorrean Guards are a specific group of characters that are part of Jabba's criminal empire, like Bib Fortuna or the various other guards and enforcers. Therefore, they is a bad guys and fall under the 501st. That can't really be viewed as neutral characters.

Jawas aren't really bad guys at all. The only remotely negative thing they did was stun Artoo-Detoo so they could sell him, and that moment is played for laughs.

The reason we have Tuskens is because of their depiction in the prequels and the expanded universe. Specifically, there role as Anakin's victims in his first step towards the dark side.

The Wampa is just an animal.

I was the guy who made the decision to allow both of those costumes in. At the time there wasn't a clear understanding of the criteria on what was "good" and what was "bad." These guys all seemed neutral, like forces of nature, and KOTOR had just been released where you ally with them so it made sense at the time.

If had to make those decisions again I wouldn't have allowed either in. You can rationalize the Tuskens being in (as I have above) but Tuskens in the Rebel Legion is a bit of a stretch, about like Jawas being in the 501st.
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
The Gamorrean Guards are a specific group of characters that are part of Jabba's criminal empire, like Bib Fortuna or the various other guards and enforcers. Therefore, they is a bad guys and fall under the 501st. That can't really be viewed as neutral characters.

Jawas aren't really bad guys at all. The only remotely negative thing they did was stun Artoo-Detoo so they could sell him, and that moment is played for laughs.

The reason we have Tuskens is because of their depiction in the prequels and the expanded universe. Specifically, there role as Anakin's victims in his first step towards the dark side.

The Wampa is just an animal.

I was the guy who made the decision to allow both of those costumes in. At the time there wasn't a clear understanding of the criteria on what was "good" and what was "bad." These guys all seemed neutral, like forces of nature, and KOTOR had just been released where you ally with them so it made sense at the time.

If had to make those decisions again I wouldn't have allowed either in. You can rationalize the Tuskens being in (as I have above) but Tuskens in the Rebel Legion is a bit of a stretch, about like Jawas being in the 501st.

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying, Matt.

-Alex
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree, partially for gamorrean being bad guys.

The gamorrean guards of Jabba can be seen as bad guys, but you don't have to see all the gamorrean as bad. They are a society like any other, just that lots of people of them are mercenaries, and brutal so they join "causes" like jabba's one.

But, you also have a good gamorrean, a rebel pilot. So my point is that gamorrean are mercenaries, not bad people, it's just their work to be on a side, or an other.
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
I have to disagree, partially for gamorrean being bad guys.

The gamorrean guards of Jabba can be seen as bad guys, but you don't have to see all the gamorrean as bad. They are a society like any other, just that lots of people of them are mercenaries, and brutal so they join "causes" like jabba's one.

But, you also have a good gamorrean, a rebel pilot. So my point is that gamorrean are mercenaries, not bad people, it's just their work to be on a side, or an other.

Right, but the question was specifically asking about the Gamorrean Guards- not Gamorreans in general.

There's a Gamorrean pilot (as you noted above) in the X-Wing novels, though his name eludes me at the moment. That character would be admissible to the Rebel Legion, of course.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, i just wanted to tell that gamorrean in general, not JABBA's guards, should be accepted.
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but the problem is convincing a costume judge that the Gammorean you're submitting (the one with traditional vibro axe and very similar Garb to that worn to Jabba's palace) is NOT working for Jabba specifically.

-Alex
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me this would be more to the judge to convince me that is it a Gammorean working for Jabaa Smile
But with slightly different clothes, this could be someone else.
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Judge in question I would have to view it as a Guard is a Denizen of the Empire. The pilot (whose name is Voort "Piggy" saBinring as featured in Allston's new book X-Wing: Mercy Kill) would be a good guy.

If someone made a Gamorrean Jedi or Rebel Trooper they would be a good guy.

But the Guards are inherently identified as being with the crime lords of the Hutts and are therefore considered Denizens of the Empire.

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: