About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b524789fcceead1e5c2d14bedfdd0c1eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hopefully a new, yet inexperienced Jedi!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willowz ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Hopefully a new, yet inexperienced Jedi! Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I am brand new to the Rebel Legion and look forward to hopefully meeting and talking to you all!

I am in the Orlando, Fl area and am looking to make/purchase an acceptable Jedi outfit. The unfortunate thing is, I have no access to a sewing machine and even if I did, lack the skill entirely. I have looked at purchasing the required materials, but feel I would end up spending more money on ruined materials when compared to purchasing the necessary parts, or at least a majority of them. I have created a Mando suit, yet had help with the sewing portions that is no longer accessible to me since I have moved down to work for Disney.

Any help would be much appreciated in pointing me in the direction of a credible costumer or resources to find one!

Thanks everyone, I look forward learning more and talking with you all!

~Willowz
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My young padawan Willowz...

Four years ago I did not have access to a sewing maching, new little to nothing about sewing and had no idea where to start. After much research, I managed to modify a commercial pattern for a screen accurate Obi-wan costume and taught myself to sew. Since then I've made seven Jedi costumes, with 3 more in cue. I really enjoy costuming and now make every part of the Jedi costume (except the boots). I know you're heard this before but...if I can do it, you can too. And to give you further encouragement, even with the cost of a sewing maching, if you make your own, you'll still come in less expensive than many of the commercially available costumes that you can buy.

We have many really good tutorials in the Jedi Tutorials forums and, you will see, many people willing to offer their help and expertise in the most iconic costume of the Rebel Legion.

I'll start off by giving you two bits of advise:

1. Beware of anything being sold on ebay (as well as many of the commercially available costumes). Many of these costumes are made from thin materials and look cheap, close up. Many of these costume also need modifying to be Rebel Legion approved (especially with respect to making them fit your body...it's much easier to make yourself one from scratch than to tear one apart and make it fit you, in my opinion).

2. Do you research before buying anything. Our Jedi on these forums have a wealth of experience. Please use our knowledge to get a quality costume at a reasonable cost.

With that said...if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask Wink

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find things on ebay if you put in Jedi costume and search price high to low. The bad thing is they may not be best fabrics like mine are made of polly cotton. If you hop over to the costume and prop thread here there is a dealer selling tunics and soft parts for a decent price and I trust her work I will let you know once I have it in hand good fabric to. Both ways you take a risk of getting a bad deal on ebay (look up feedback and check to see what fabrics they use) also if you order to fit costume thats better to DONT buy a pre maid one. You can also buy fabric and mess it up.

18 " aggressive negotiations "
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm teaching a new member here how to sew by helping her make her jedi, I will say I have been doing the harder parts - hems, hand stitching etc but more due to time frame to get it complete and her being a little cautious of my machine (which runs faster than a standard domestic machine).
Over all the main things to do are practice and make sure your cutting is correct and as close to the lines as possible. But I'm bias, I like sewing so will always say sew it yourself or work with those who can.
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings!

Before you look at purchasing anything, do some research and more importantly, some thinking. What would you want your Jedi to look like? For me, good source images are the first step of any costume.

Second, stop by and introduce yourself here at your local base:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

There are quite a few Jedi in the Orlando area who can lend you the advice you need for your new costume.
Jaren Valnor (Ryan Miorelli)
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree respectfully...I advise AVOID EBAY from personal experience. If someone's selling an "accurate" costume on eBay, chances are there's a reason they aren't just selling it here to people who can actually appreciate what's accurate.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaren Valnor wrote:
I have to disagree respectfully...I advise AVOID EBAY from personal experience. If someone's selling an "accurate" costume on eBay, chances are there's a reason they aren't just selling it here to people who can actually appreciate what's accurate.

I agree...if someone or some vendor is selling something that they advertise as "accurate", it's likely not accurate. Even if it is (which is highly doubtfull), it'd likely still need to be tailored to fit.

RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed! if you do not have experience sewing, i would recoment talking to a seamstress and making the costume from scratch :-)

if you need any help feel free to contact me . . . Ben

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'days from Tattooine Base Willow, the Base down under.

I would agree on going for a seamstress, when you don't have the skills, and want to design the costume from scratch. My latest Jedi (seen in my profile pic) was designed by me and made by a seamstress. Although be for-warned. it can be costly sometimes. Mine costed me AU$700 for the seamstress, not including the cost of the fabric.
But still cheaper than my stormtrooper armour. Razz

Here is a link to site I came across some time ago, and thanks to friend here in TB have found again.
http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/

Might be worth taking a look at. I personally haven't gone through them for a Jedi costume. Maybe for my jedi after my next. Razz
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All true and good points however there are seamstresses that make the stuff on ebay however they are very rare to find and they list very little also you have to wait 4-7 weeks after you pay for item to ship. I recommend Aline arms dealers over on are for sale forum she has a on going run tailors them make great costumes with great accuracy and can do all soft part for about 260. If you ask she can also do a robe as well.

18 " aggressive negotiations "
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt to machine sew by making costumes. It's to that hard! But, if you don't have a machine, that would be hard. However, buying a cheap second hand machine and learning to sew a simple pattern will be cheaper than buying a single item of tailor made costume. And you will be able to perfect your costume, then make another, better one... Wink

Good luck! Fyr

Tython Base Facebook Page
Willowz ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Thank you for everything! Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice and support!

After some thinking, I am going to stay away from Internet purchases and learn to sew my own costume. I'm going to look at some second-hand sewing machines today and start learning as soon as possible, then hopefully upgrade to a nice machine down the line (or hope a family member will give me theirs!).

I know that this is something I will be continuously doing for many years to come, so I should learn now and be able to hone my skills without the reliance of another for all the basics.

Thank you again everyone for you support and advice!
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! You are embarking on a whole new (and I think exceptionally fun) endeavor!!!

Be sure to check out the Jedi Tutorials forums. There's lots of pattern information there. In fact, I'll be updating my tutorial to make it more user friendly...as soon as real life stops invading my weekends. But until then, there's plenty of tutorials that can help you along. Do not hesitate to contact me or any one of us for help.

/bow

FallenJedisLady ()

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice for sewing practice is to start with simple projects like pillows, aprons, blankets. Small projects. I'm not saying to not make your own costume. But for hemming and hand stitching, get some remnant fabric and use those for practice. If you can, find someone who knows how to sew to help you out. Smile

I grew up with my mom sewing and have been at her side and doing some of my own stuff since I was 3. However, I lack in areas which is why I'm doing practice runs of my desired look for my Jedi costume. It's so I don't end up ruining the actual product and can see where I need to make alterations.. Smile

My Jedi Idea: a Cream/champagne colored corset with a brown knee length skirt that has a slit up one side. I have a brown belt that needs a buckle that may work to help complete the outfit. I'm using what I have now to put together. I already have the patterns, and the fabric for the top. I am missing the desired fabric for the bottom though. and the robe but I'll tackle that later. Wink My other idea is I guess a Fallen jedi/sith where the top is cropped and strapless corset paired with the same style skirt in black. Haven't decided on the corset just yet. Just know Black is one of the colors, if not the main color. Of course, these are also my practice and basic costumes so I have something fairly well made for under $100 and won't look cheap in for cons and Halloween.

I wish you luck with your costume and may the force be with ya! Smile
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree as well, making your own costumes is a completely different feeling and always blows people away when they ask you where you got it. ^_^ Beware: once you know how to sew, it's a way-of-life addiction! XD My first clothing/costume I made myself was a basic Jedi over a decade ago, years after my mother taught me how to sew. Since then I have done 30+ different costumes in collaboration with my mother from varying genres. Now I'm remaking that old costume myself to update it and do all the things I wanted to do years ago - and this is simply to hone my skills and brush off the rust of not sewing for a while.

I'm always learning something new, and the people here are a great resource if you ever need a suggestion! Just be sure that as you start the journey of your Jedi, you start a WIP thread so that you can get tips and suggestions as you go! ^_^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: