About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c6e51b6b1ce189a6f8fec257782546efMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A-Wing wip
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: A-Wing wip Reply with quote

So, Got a great jumpsuit today (thank you Lonescout!) and it is perfect in my eyes. Belt sewn today and more to come...chest box and accessories in progress. Here are a few photos of a pilot in the ready room. Photos of the flack vest to come soon hopefully...Cheers!

Awing

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice start so far!
The markings look very good to me.
What do you use as "base" for the chestbox, and what dimensions does the box have?
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going for accuracy, the chest box should be bevelled, not squared. But other than that, you're on the right track!

PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for comments so quickly!

Okami - The box is simply a white box that I found at an art supply store. I have added styrene to it and some other things to give it the current appearance. The dimensions are: 22 cm width; 12.5 cm length; 5.5 cm depth.

Hazard 3 - Do you have any pics. of a beveled edge? I know O.D. (above) did it, but the screen caps. and ref. photos I have do not clearly show this ( not arguing either way). I am a scientist and I like accuracy!

Actually while I'm at it...is there any ref. pic. of an A-Wing pilot wearing a comm-pad on the left arm?

Over and out Awing

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me and I can send you whatever info I have on it. Most pics are blurry.

As for the compad pocket. We've pics of the pocket, but not with a pad in it. There's also debate on shoulder pockets. We've had a few members see actual suits (and chest boxes), but we're trying to cross-reference their info. Unfortunately we can't change any Costume Standards before we have corroborating evidence.

PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting image here. What do you see? I see an A-Wing pilot with a B-Wing chest box towards the top and a B-Wing pilot(?) towards the bottom left that appears to have "tan" bottoms (probably the lighting though).

―General Han Solo
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ... I call this the "hodge-podge" shot. Totally screws with standards. "Hey, we need another extra, let's just pile on him all this random stuff that was left on the table!" Ugh.

And for the guy at the bottom, it's the lighting, he's really all red.

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "A-wing pilot" at the top also has a B-wing pilot flak vest on. Razz

Interesting thing I just noticed... Take a look at the helmet he's holding. It looks like an A-wing pilot helmet (you can see the top shield if you look closely) but... it also has a chin strap. And it looks like it has this piece on the chin strap...

Which explains where that piece came from that has shown up in the auction of the unfinished B-wing pilot helmet and chestbox, yet there's no reference for it on any humanoid B-wing pilot helmet ever. It looks like it might have somehow got mixed in from an A-wing pilot helmet... And that piece was probably removed before filming, hence why you never see a chin strap on an A-wing pilot...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with the flack vest Blue Leader...there are several other images that show a similar looking flack vest. A-Wing pilots seem to have 2 different ones. Do you have a pattern for the vest? That is what I am working on right now... Awing

―General Han Solo
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye Todd! You're correct that the A-wing pilot has two different vest styles, however it's only the back panels that are different. One has a full back, and one a small-panelled back like the B-wing.

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrimitiveTodd wrote:
I'm fine with the flack vest Blue Leader...there are several other images that show a similar looking flack vest. A-Wing pilots seem to have 2 different ones. Do you have a pattern for the vest? That is what I am working on right now... Awing

Don't make the B-wing pilot flak vest, that would be very inaccurate. You'll want the A-wing pilot flak vest, which is a little smaller and has the white "bib" on the front of it.

Yeah, there is sort of two flak vests that A-wing pilots are seen wearing... One has a squared back and the other has something more a T-shirt look to it. You can see it in the image below. In the middle image there are two A-wing pilots with their back to the picture and one has the squared back, the other has the T-shirt-like back. This is just my opinion and I can't say for certain, but I kind of think that the T-shirt-like one is the actual A-wing pilot vest, and that the squared one is actually just the back of a B-wing pilot flak vest (because the B-wing vest has the same squared back).

Here's the front...

There is one detail that everyone seems to miss... which is understandable as there aren't many good pictures of it... but on the vest, on the right side, is a round piece of cloth (perhaps a disc with the white "bib" cloth wrapped around it or something). You can kind of see it in the picture below. Granted, this is an "unfinished" pre-production outfit so take it for what it's worth (and don't make your ejection harness with big safety pins), but I have seen other pictures that show this piece... I just can't find them right this moment...
The disc thingy is on the bottom right corner of the white "bib" (the pilot's right, your left looking at the picture).

Speaking of the ejection harness, good luck with it. I have yet to figure out how to make an accurate one. On one of the legs there looks to be a loose piece of webbing hanging straight down, and it's on most all of the A-wing/B-wing pilots, yet the strap around the leg doesn't twist much... I've been playing around with different combinations for ages trying to figure out how they heck they got that piece to hang down without making the strap twist over on itself and I have yet to do it. Razz
Sometime I should post a thread with references to it and see if any of us can figure out how the heck the ejection harness was made. I can't be the only person who has noticed it...

And no, I don't have a pattern for the vest. I have one for the B-wing pilot flak vest, but not for the A-wing pilot because I've never attempted that outfit. Maybe one day, but the B-wing pilot is my passion. Though I've done a fair bit of scanning over A-wing and Y-wing pictures that I find as well, mainly because I just think that the unusual pilots are rather interesting.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is an update on the chest box...complete!

Vest is coming along well too...pics soon.

Have a great Star Wars Reads Day to all of you!

Awing

―General Han Solo
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chestbox is looking great so far. Nice work!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on this chestbox!
Looks absolute perfect!
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for you recent comments Blue Banshee and O.D. Here is a photo of the chest box united with the vest (I know, the ribbing has not been added to the white vest, but I wanted to put it together with the strapping...hose and assembly to come!

Awing

―General Han Solo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: